Part and Parcel

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JIYONG'S POV

 

I rush to the hospital after receiving a call from Daesung about Seunghyun. I push the door open and realise that there's nothing for me to worry about. I put on a smirk as I walk towards him. Or rather, them.

 

"I was expecting you to be lying on the bed, being all so sad and lonely~"

 

"Yah, Kwon Jiyong," Tiffany is peeling an apple while Seunghyun is lying on his bed comfortably, showing no signs of fatigue or sickness. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Wow wow, just because you have a personal nurse now, I can't visit and show my concern for my captain? I'm hurt Captain Choi," I put my hands over my heart in mock pain.

 

"Yah, jokes aside. I'm being serious here. Your wife doesn't seem to be in a good shape," Seunghyun's expression is straight and serious as he confesses to me. "I'll update you about my issues soon, but I think you better check on Yoong first."

 

"What? What happen to her? Don't take this as a joke, hyung. You know I hate jokes about my loved ones," I furrow my brows, thinking that he is playing a prank on me.

 

"He isn't joking. You should know about Yoojung's incident already rights? Yoona dropped by just a few minutes ago and even though she tried to act as if everything is fine, she looked like a total wreck," Tiffany clarifies for Seunghyun. "I guess this is her first setback as a doctor. It's better if you go take a look at her. She needs you."

 

Before they know it, I have already run out of the ward, searching for my wife. 

 

*******

 

I search around frantically, looking around for the sight of Yoona and finally finding her sitting by herself on the rows of chair outside of an operating theatre. I heave a sigh of relief and walk towards her.

 

She is covering her face, pressing her thumbs to the corner of her eyes. "I couldn't save her..." The words rip from her heart. 

 

It pains me so much to see her acting like this. Yoona always portrays the jovial and optimistic side of her and seeing her like this, reminds me of how fragile she actually is. 

 

I sigh and pull her into my embrace as her tears flow like a never-ending waterfalls of depression.  I sigh and continue to her hair gently. 

 

"It's not your fault. You did what you could have done. It's all fate, Yoong." 

 

She makes no attempt in replying, either that or I can't make out her babblings through all those cryings. She holds my arms and buries her face into my chest, not caring about the smoke smell on my body. I hold her tightly, not wanting to let her go for even a mere second.

 

*******

 

Two weeks have passed since Yoojung's death and well, it also marks two weeks of Im Yoona's slump period. Crying for the entire day doesn't seem to make things easier for her. She is restless every single day, finding all sorts of excuse to not go to work, and eventually, she succeeds. It had been over a week since she last go to the hospital. She practically copes herself at home, refusing to even step out of the house. She starts to act weirdly and even begins to do something she hates; cooking. I hate to see her behaving like that and I definitely hate myself for not being able to do anything about this. She isn't crying, but she isn't happy either. I'm really worried for her. I figure out that I need to do something quick before I lose her.

 

I'm on night duty and decide to drag her along to the station with me. I try not to leave her alone, fearing that her thoughts may run wild any minute and she will lose it. Hence, despite her reluctance, I insist on my way and bring her along with me. Tonight is the night.

 

It's deep into the night and I check my watch, waiting for the perfect timing. A satisfied grin spreads across my face and I wake Yoona, who is asleep on my bunk, up.

 

"I want to sleep. Why are you waking me up?" She rubs her bleary eyes and pouts in dissatisfaction.

 

Instead of replying her, I simply take her hand, making our way up to the rooftop.

 

"What are we doing here?"  

 

"You'll know soon enough," I smirk, wanting to keep the suspense going.

 

She flashes another pout at me but obliges, taking a seat beside me.

 

"3...2...1..." I look at my watch, anticipating the time. Please let it be true.

 

A second later, the night is falling down around us. Meteor rains like fireworks, quickly rips in the seam of the dark. I see her eyes light up into surprise and amazement and I know this will work. It will definitely work.

 

"Wow!" The remnants of her sleep seem to have cleared away as she lies down to get a better view. "It's a meteor shower..."

 

Star gazing has always been my hobby since I was a child and I have been researching on this meteor shower for the past few weeks, hoping that it is true and hope that this will spur Yoona on. To be honest, shooting stars are not stars at all. They're just rocks that enter the atmosphere and catch fire under friction. What we wish on, when we see, is only a trail of debris. But oh well, as long as I can cheer her up.

 

As a comfortable silence looms over us, in the upper left quadrant of the sky, a radiant bursts into a new stream of sparks.

 

"Is it like this every night, while we're asleep?" Yoona's voice rings exceptionally clear and loud in the still, quiet night, as her head pillows against my shoulder.

 

It's a remarkable question - Do all the wonderful things happen when we are not aware of them?

 

"Of course not. Don't you know seeing a shooting star is rare? Let alone seeing a meteor shower," I comment, holding her close to me. "Yoona ah, wonderful things happen every single day. Sometimes we catch it, sometimes we miss it. But in actual fact, every little thing can be wonderful if you change your perspective on them."

 

"Really?" She sits up, tilting her head and looking at me in denial.

 

"Since when do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter