Extreme Ends

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JIYONG'S POV

 

"YO-YOU WHAT?! You saw her?!!" I almost spit out the water that I had gulped down.

 

"You mean Tiffany Hwang? THE Tiffany Hwang?" Yoona makes further clarification, not believing what Seunghyun told us.

 

"Yes Yoong. It's Tiffany Hwang. THE Tiffany Hwang." Seunghyun sighs as he ruffles his hair tiredly. "Damn."

 

"Is she still the same old her? You know, those smoking HOT kind. And does she still adorn that pink hair?"

 

"From the surface, she is still the same old her. Though I don't know why you're asking this and I don't find that there's a need to answer this question, yes, she's still smoking hot. In fact, hotter than when I first met her, in my opinion. Oh, and that pink hair is gone for good. She is now a guardian ad litem, so dyed hair isn't allowed in courtrooms." Seunghyun shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly.

 

"Damn. I always love that pink hair." I pretend to sigh in despair and disappointment.

 

"I know. Same here..." Miraculously, Seunghyun actually AGREES with my comment.

 

"You know, if I didn't see that you fancied her, I would have courted her. And guess what, she would be here, enjoying lunch with us. Instead of us sitting here, fantasizing about the imaginary her." I speak in a matter-of-fact tone, assuming that Tiffany is my girl, instead of Seunghyun's.

 

"She isn't imaginary for god's sake. And, wasn't you the one who said that she's that one girl you wouldn't dare to mess with?" Seunghyun smirks and turns to Yoona. "Did something happened between you two? Because every sentence coming out from his mouth is acidic."

 

Yoona, on the other hand, continues to chew on her sandwich as she shrugs indifferently. "He's just being plain jealous because a guy had given me a rose."

 

"Woman, you miss the kissing part." This causes me to jump in protest, defending myself.

 

"Let me guess." Slowly, a smirk plays across Seunghyun's face as he nods in approval. "That guy is some fifteen year old kid who is staying in the hospital after a gang fight or something. Oh wait, judging from your reaction, that kid must be a caucasian. Yoong always has a special for blue eyes."

 

"Nice guess Captain Choi, but not quite there yet. Yes, he's a caucasian, but he's only FIVE year old instead of fifteen. And, it isn't kissing. It's just a friendly PECK on the cheek! Oppa, you really need to teach this subordinate of yours a thing or two. I don't get it. Why did I even get cheated by his chivalrous behaviour in fires in the first place? He's SO different compared to real life." She sighs.

 

"Hello, in case you have forgotten, we got together way before I started going into collasping buildings to save people." I pout, feeling insulted by her comments.

 

"And that's something I can never figure out why. It is even more puzzling and weirder than the 7 wonders of the world."

 

"That's suppose to be my line! Yah Im, you sure you want to do this? I can di...."

 

"Ok! Cease fire! I don't have any hydrants or extinguishers with me now. Besides, we're here to discuss about MY issue. You guys can leave your lovetiffs for later." Seunghyun cut our conversation off immediately.

 

"You guys were the ones who sidetracked, talking about her 'hot-ness' and pink hair." Yoona nods and continues to munch on her sandwich. When she is about to reply Seunghyun, her pager rings. She picks up and a gloomy expression appears on her face. "Better luck next time. Urgent matter. I got to rush to A&E now. Just tell Jiyong all your worries and problems and he will convey to me! I will think of a feasible solution and give you a call as soon as possible! I'm not on call tonight." She stuffs the sandwich into and gulps down the entire glass of water, putting her stethoscope around her neck once again. Looks like I made the right choice in choosing the lunch meeting to be in the hospital lounge.

 

"Should I pick you up?"

 

"Nahs. I can make my way home. See you tonight. Love you!" She gives me a quick peck on the cheeks and begins to run. "Oppa, I'll see you soon!"

 

Before Seunghyun can reply, she had ran into the lift, almost getting tripped by her own heels. Talking about clumsiness.

 

"I still can't believe that she's a specialist now." Seunghyun replies amusingly.

 

"Neither can I." A smile creeps up to my face as she blows me a kiss before the lift door finally closes. "That's Im Yoona for you."

 

Spring, 2000

Summer, autumn, spring, winter. It didn't really matter to me. School was a fun place to be in. Flirting with those cheerleading girls, getting on the teachers' nerves endlessly, visiting the detention room as though it's my second home - all these, were norms to me. Well, winter break was over and spring is here. The season where spring flowers - magnolia and cherry blossoms, begin making their appearance, the various species of trees sprout leaves of various shades of green and reds. Oh, not to mention the new crop of strawberries and...

 

"Mr Kwon. Jiyong-sshi. Kwon Jiyong!" A marker landed onto my desk, disturbing my wonderful dream. I looked up, and saw Miss Kim, my biology teacher, glaring at me, with both hands on her hips. That was when I realised that I had fallen asleep again. Damn.

 

"Why didn't you wake me up!" I hissed at Seunghyun, who was sitting beside me, spinning a pen in absolute boredom.

 

"You didn't ask me to and whatsmore, I'm having a hard time keeping myself awake as well." Seunghyun gave me his usual bored look as he stifled a yawn.

 

Before I could cuss him, Miss Kim had dropped me a bomb. "Jiyong-sshi, I concluded that you're not really suitable to be studying partners with Seunghyun-sshi. So, I have a suggestion."

 

I cursed under my breath. Suggestion? More like a demand. Suggestion means that there's room for discussion, demand means absolute obedience. So, how could Miss Kim be giving suggestion?

 

"Did you just say something?"

 

"A-Anniyo! I was just praising how amazing you look, Miss Kim. You know, not many people can be like you at the age of 22." I replied sarcastically, causing some of the classmates to burst out laughing, while others trying to suppress their laughters. You see, at the age of 22, Miss Kim was consider HUGE for her age. To put it in a nicer term, she's overweight. Severely.

 

"Silence!" Miss Kim bellowed and shot daggers of stares at the entire class, causing them to fell silent. "As I was saying, Kwon Jiyong, I'm going to change your seat. There's a quiz at the end of this week. You would have to score an A. Failure to do so will result you in staying behind with me everyday for the remaining term. From this, you will be able to learn how I have such an AMAZING body at such an age." She folded her arms across her chest and smirked. "But not to worry, I had found the perfect candidate to help you. From now on, you'll be sitting with Im Yoona. Yoona-sshi, is this fine with you?"

 

At that instant, loud intake of breaths were drawn and the atmosphere slipped into a cold and still one. Then, all of a sudden, one loud chuckle rang. I looked and saw Seunghyun began to burst into laughters. I shot him a glare. A death glare even.

 

Im Yoona. Are you kidding me? The NERDIEST OF ALL NERDS?! Damn. You must be kidding. We're the EXACT opposites! Hell. She's a quiet and nerdy girl, with a pair of heavy old-fashioned glasses. Needless to say, her closet must be filled with her grandmother's hand-me-downs. I hadn't seen her in home clothes though but it's easy to infer anyway. She would always wear an old knitted sweater over her school uniform, be it rain or shine. Oh, and her skirt had never gone pass her knees. Wonder if she ever feels warm or stuffy with all these thick fabric sticking on her body. Including the fact of scoring the highest among the cohort for almost every year, she's a full-package of what-is-needed-to-be-a-nerd. Don't ask me why, but she still belong to the popular group in the school. Even though she doesn't interact with anyone except her books and her nerdy friend - Seo Joohyun. This is even more puzzling and weirder than the 7 wonders of the world, isn't it?

 

"Seunghyun-sshi, are you jealous of Jiyong-sshi? Should I arrange a personal tutor for you as well? As far as I can see, you aren't doing really well as well."

 

"Oh no. Of course not! I would definitely study hard for this quiz and do you proud Miss Kim!" That damn Seunghyun. He raised both his hands up and gave his charming smile.

 

"Fair enough. I look forward to your result, Seunghyun-sshi." Once his charming smile is shown, there's no girl who could resist. Even Miss Kim. "So Jiyong-sshi, please move over now."

 

If you want to score well for the quiz, meet me at the nearby bookstore later at 3pm.

 

The moment I sat down beside her, a note was passed to me. On a second thought, her handwriting was really beautiful and neat. Wait, did I just praise her? Her aura was so strong that I'm beginning to get affected already? I looked behind and saw Seunghyun smirking at me.

 

Damn. My life is ruined.

 

*******

 

"Yah. Don't you have a date with the GORGEOUS lady?" Seunghyun teased as we were in the café taking a breather.

 

"Nice. Very nice. I'm going to tell Miss Kim that you need a tutor as well. How about Seo Joohyun? Is she good enough?" I nodded, speaking seriously.

 

"Wow wow. Take a chill pill man. I'm just joking." He raised his hands up in mock defeat. "But then again, to be honest, shouldn't you just go? At least go take a look or something. We have a rule. Even if we're toying with those girls, we must still be a gentleman. Letting girls wait for us is a big no no, Ji."

 

"She's not going to be that dumb to wait for me. I bet she had already left." My heart cringed, feeling a tinge of guilt chewing on it. Still, I acted strong and stubborn.

 

"Whatever. But still, you got to make a choice. Are you really going to stay behind with that witch every single day? This is a huge price to pay you know. Or maybe you're really interesting on how she gets her voluminous body?" He mocked.

 

"Damn. I almost fogot about the punishment. Guess like I have to make do with this bet already. I'll get going first then." This gave me a perfect excuse to head to the bookstore to look for that nerd.

 

"For all you know, Im Yoona is a chic. Don't grumble that I ain't your buddy. I had asked around and rumors said that behind that thick glasses, actually laid an ultimate beauty. That's why she's so popular despite her being anti-social and all." He gave a light punch on my arms.

 

"I don't think so and I don't give a damn care. I'm leaving." For an unknown reason, my heart seemed to beat faster at the thought of her not wearing glasses. Hmmm. What exactly was wrong with me seriously.

 

"You're definitely interested in her." Seunghyun muttered as I made my way towards the school gate.

 

"I heard that."

 

"I mean enjoy your date! Have some knowledge back!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter