I Can't.

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SEUNGHYUN'S POV

 

"Capt, we're almost done here." Jiyong takes off his helmet, wiping the perspiration off his forehead.

 

Why did I choose to become a fireman? I don't know. Maybe it's because of the challenges and risks that I have to face every single day. I am never a fan of stability. I prefer uncertainties and surprises. Braving into a burning building, saving a cat from the treetop, saving someone trapped in a building, each and every one of this is a chore if you don't have the passion. To be honest, I wouldn't say that we firemen have the burning passion for saving lives like doctors do. But one thing for sure, I like fire. I like playing with fire.

 

The thing about flame is that it's insidious - it sneaks, it , it looks over its shoulder and laughs. And , it's beautiful. Like a sunset eating everything in its path. But didn't people always say that the most beautiful thing is the most harmful thing? Take Autumn Crocus for instance - beautiful, but deadly. Fire too, is dangerously beautiful.

 

"Capt?" Jiyong calls out again, with a hint of worry this time round. "You alright?"

 

"Why wouldn't I?" I remove the helmet and ruffle my matted hair. "I'm going to send the victim to the hospital. I'll leave you here to tie up the loose ends."

 

"Yeah yeah. Just as expected," he gives his usual smirk and sighs. "Man, ever since you and Fany reconcile, the time I spent with Yoona just gets lesser."

 

"For your information, we aren't together and Yoong ditching you for her isn't my fault either." I shrug teasingly.

 

"First, I didn't say that you guys are dating. I merely said that you guys reconcile from your quarrel. Secondly, I'm talking about your frequent visits to the hospital. It used to be my job but now, you just can't wait to go to the hospital. I can actually use this chance to spy on my girl but you took it away so effortlessly with that three stripes on your shoulder."

 

"You're lucky that I'm wearing my uniform and on duty now, Kwon Jiyong. If not, I swear you would be lying on the ground already." I smirk and elbow him on his stomach. "I wonder what Yoong sees in you seriously. Fancy her tolerating your bizarre and crazy behaviour for the last twelve years."

 

"I shall take that as a compliment. You better get going so that I get to call the shots here," he rubs his stomach. "I swear if you weren't my buddy, I would have pulled you down from your position and be promoted on my own.

 

"Yeahs. Continuing dreaming then." I smirk and punch him on his arm. "I'll see you guys back at the headquarters in a bit!"

 

The others wave back in agreement and Jiyong gives me a smirk in return. I ignore him and follow the paramedics into the ambulance. Before the door closes behind me, I see Jiyong's expression being straight and serious, ordering and ensuring that everything is kept in order. I smile.

 

Kwon Jiyong is definitely a man to be trusted.

 

*******

 

"Oh! Ajussi!" Yoojung calls out cheerfully as I step into her ward.

 

"I say I'm going to ignore you the moment you call me that right? I'm not THAT old!" I fake a hurt expression but nonetheless smile and give a nod at Tiffany who is peeling an apple. "Why does SHE gets to be called unnie and I have to be called ajussi!"

 

"Well, because she's beautiful~" Yoojung flashes her toothy grin.

 

"Are you trying to say that I ain't beautiful?"

 

"You aren't!" She chuckles. "You're handsome. A handsome... Ajussi!"

 

"Not again!"

 

With my groan, the two ladies burst into laughters. A week had passed since me and Tiffany made up. Well, I wouldn't agree exactly that it's a make up, but we manage to put down our feuds and be rational for Yoojung's sake. Yoojung's health is improving and so is her emotions. She smiles more often now and is able to be open about her feelings, but only to me and Tiffany. I like Yoojung. Initially, I have to admit that I used her as a chesspiece to get close to Tiffany but after spending time with her, I find that feelings grow. The attachment is there and for the first time, I treat a victim like my younger sister.

 

"Yoojung-sshi, it's time for your checkup~" The nurse comes in and alerts us.

 

"Awww~ Not again!" She pouts. "Seunghyun ajussi just came in! I haven't even talk with him!"

 

"I promise I won't go anywhere. I'll be right here waiting for you and will continue tolerating your nonsense when you're back." I smile, ruffling her hair.

 

"Nahs. Just be back here when I'm back. Take Fany unnie out for a walk. She had been coping inside this foul-smelling room with me for way too long. It's time she gets some fresh air~ I'm entrusting her to you, ajussi~" She makes herself comfortable on the wheelchair and smiles.

 

"Will I become oppa after doing this?" I joke.

 

"Hmm... I'll consider it!" She chuckles as the nurse begins to push her away. "I'll catch you guys later!"

 

A smile linger on our faces as we watch her being pushed away. Tiffany turns around and catches my eyes.

 

"So... Give me a chance to erase that horrible title?" I raise my brows.

 

She simply shrugs and gives a defeated smile.

 

*******

 

"Yoojung would be discharging soon?"

 

"Yeahs. If she clears this final checkup. She will be staying with me until the hearing starts."

 

"I see. How's her parents there?"

 

"Still trying to get close to her but she always gets so worked up that I have to see them out. Yoojung just can't bring herself to see them yet." She shrugs. "How about your side?"

 

"All good. The court had sent me the official letter on the date of my appearance."

 

"I just hope they wouldn't be too harsh on her. She's still a kid after all..."

 

"Come on, Yoojung is much tougher than you think she is. She would survive through this." I pat her shoulder naturally.

 

She looks up and our eyes meet. Ever since that last quarrel, I had been reminding myself to be careful of my words. I wouldn't want my mindless comments to hurt her again. But whenever I see her, I can't help it. Let's put it in a simple way: Yes, I still love her. In fact, I had never stopped loving her.

 

"I still remember all the cute moments that we had shared."

 

I know I have committed a huge mistake again.

 

"I still remember when I gave you everything that I had to offer and you threw it all away. I still remember when you broke my heart and you didn't give a damn care. I remember the time when you said that you'd never leave me, you'd always be there for me. But what happened? You ed off. You fooled me into believing that you didn't treat me like you did to your past girlfriends, you loved me. Do you remember? Well, I did and you know what? It hurts. It hurts badly." She looks away and stands up, secretly wiping her tears away. "Yoojung should be almost done. Let's go."

 

Yoona is going to kill me.

 

*******

 

TIFFANY'S POV

 

Winter, 2000

"Come on, it's just a simple dinner. We'll just eat and go." He buried his face into my arm, whinning childishly.

 

"Do you really think this is wise? I mean, I don't think I'm ready yet." I sighed, not giving in so easily.

 

"It's just a MEAL~ What's there to be prepared about? Your pink hair isn't going to scare them off." He looked up, nibbling my ear.

 

"Yah. Behave yourself." I slapped his arm and pushed him away, face blushing.

 

"It's not like we hadn't done it yet." He shrugged nonchalantly.

 

"I dare you to say it again." I glared at him.

 

"I said nothing~" He put his fingers on his lips cheekily. "But seriously, it's only a meal. I don't really wish to attend too but oh well, I have to do it. So, if you aren't going to go with me, I'm not turning up either. They can jump and go mad for all I care and perhaps, be embarrassed in front of whichever girl they had decided to pair me up with."

 

"They're your parents!" I pouted, clearly dissatisfied of his answer.

 

"Then go with me." Damn, he sure got my weakness at his fingertips. "Tomorrow would be our graduation. And after that, I'm free to do what I want."

 

"Let's hope so then..."

 

*******

 

"Good eveni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter