The Greatest Gift.

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SEUNGHYUN'S POV

 

"You better have a good explaination for waking me up in the middle of the night,"

 

I smirk as Tiffany pouts at me groggily. Yes, just like Jiyong, I had woke her up in the middle of the night and brought her to the headquarters to star gaze. Figured out that I must well believe in Jiyong's words for once and try my luck out. If it fails, he's gonna get it.

 

Despite winning the lawsuit, I know she's still being bothered about Yoojung's death, putting on a brave front just like Yoona. I have studied a little about star gazing before and with a little last minute tutorial session by Jiyong, I figure out the way to cheer her up. Of course, there isn't much luck in getting a meteor shower like Jiyong did, but I think this would pretty much do the job.

 

I turn the telescope to Barnard's Loop and M42, glowing in Orion's sword and step aside, motioning her to take a look. She raises her brows at me, but takes a peek into the telescope nonetheless. A minute later, she looks up, with eyes filled with curiousity and amazement.

 

"Stars are fires that burn for thousands of years. Some of them burn slow and long, like red dwarfs," I adjust the telescope and she peeks again. "While others, blue giants, burnt their fuel so fast they shine across great distances, and are easy to see. As they start to run out of fuel, they burn helium, grow even hotter, and exploded in a supernova."

 

"What are supernovas?"

 

"They're brighter than the brightest galaxies. They die, but everyone watches them go." I turn her around and her hair gently, looking deep into her eyes.

 

"Yoojung..." The word bubbles out from her lips before she realise it.

 

"Yes," I nod and look up at the sky. "Look at this, it's God's creation. People come and leave every single minute and right now, as I'm talking, there's probably thousands of babies and deaths out there happening in different parts of the world. What's most important is, we came to know Yoojung before. I don't know if you would believe or not, but I have a hunch that Yoojung is just right up there, watching over us." 

 

"And perhaps, sniggering at you,"

 

I turn around in time to see her chuckling happily. I raise my brows in confusion. This isn't what I had expected. I was expecting her to be bawling her eyes out and I would pull her into a hug, kiss her passionately on the lips and if I'm luck enough, maybe a make out session tonight?

 

"Gosh, did I ever tell you that Jiyong is much more romantic than you?" She scoffs and brushes her hair behind.

 

"Didn't you say that he failed at folding origami hearts the other time?"

 

"That's just a coax. He mastered it perfectly and even added some romantic words to pacify Yoong," she answers. "And even after twelve years, this fact didn't change. He brought Yoona to see a meteor shower while I'm stuck here, watching some stars that look all the same to me."

 

"You knew?!"

 

"Have you forgotten that I'm good friend with the reowned cardiologist Im Yoona, who also happens to be Mrs Kwon just a month ago?" She laughs. "Yoong never fails to share everything with me. And I mean EVERYTHING. Literally."

 

I scratch the back of my head embarrassingly, not knowing how to keep this conversation going. It's meant to be a sweet moment but now, it seems like it's going in the exact opposite direction. Damn that Kwon Jiyong. He's in for some deep trouble.

 

"It's true that I'm affected and remorsed over Yoojung's death. But when you sit down and ponder about it, everything just falls in place," she makes herself comfortable, sitting on the bricks of the roof. "If it wasn't for her, you wouldn't have gotten into a relapse and I wouldn't have found out about it and you wouldn't have come clean about this and the things that happened twelve years ago and finally, we wouldn't be here now, enjoying God's creation and with you being upset and wanting to kill Jiyong."

 

I look at her and am amazed. This woman, she never fails to impress me. Tiffany Hwang is that formidable, that impressive, that bright, brighter than Sirius.

 

"Is there something on my face?"

 

And she's drop dead gorgeous.

 

I remain silent and evelope her in my embrace.

 

*******

TIFFANY'S POV

 

"What plans are you having now?"

 

"Hmmm?"

 

"Stop acting ignorant, Choi Seunghyun," I break away from the hug, pouting away at his pretendance. "The fire brigade would definitely search you up and find out about this issue. Your captain position isn't going to stay for long already."

 

"I don't know. Be a house husband perhaps?" He shrugs, as though emphasising his seriousness on this matter.

 

"Good lord, you must be kidding. A person that always leaves his dirty clothes around and never once cook for himself wanting to be a house husband?" I roll my eyes in disgust.

 

"I think I would make a good house husband. Imagine me in apron, cooking over the stove. I think I would look pretty y." There, he says it so plainly and confidently.

 

Speaking about that, I recall about the time when he lays his hands on cooking...

 

Summer, 2000

I was down with a horrible flu and was bedridden. I couldn't even muster enough strength to get out of the bed, let alone to cook or even to take medication. Even though it was summer, I was freezing cold. Layers of blanket were laid on top of me, trying to stop my body from trembling. Since I was both hungry and tired, I figured out that sleep would probably do the trick.

 

I drifted off to sleep, but after what it seemed like only a few minutes to me, I started to feel my throat being dry and parched. I couldn't breathe and I felt as though I was being choked by smoke. I started to cough furiously, trying to clear my lungs. My eyes flung open in fright and I broke into sweats. Fortunately, it was a nightmare. Actually, not quite.

 

The moment I woke up, a strong burnt smell hit my nostrils and I could see smoke floating into my room. I was horrifed. So horrified that I could actually drag my tired and aching body out of bed and rushed outside to see what was going on.

 

But all I saw was, a 5'9 feet guy standing in front of the stove, a look of mortification and panic written all over his face. I darted my gaze back to the stove, the source of the smoke and burnt smell. A defeated chuckle escaped from my lips.

 

"Are you trying to burn down the dorm?" I switched off the fire immediately, trying to raise my voice an octave high but failed miserably. "You're lucky that I didn't report you for arson."

 

I reached out for the wet cloth and tossed the charred pan onto the sink, turning on the tap, producing sizzling sounds as the running water hit the hot pan.

 

"I didn't exactly burn down your property, unless you count that non-stick pan as one."

 

"You nearly burnt down my entire kitchen and possibly, my entire flat, if I didn't wake up in time," I spoke, feeling a dizzy spell hit me.

 

"A patient who is supposed to be in bed is cleaning up," he caught me in his arms just in time. "Didn't I say that I would cook for you?" 

 

Before I could reply, a loud grumbling sound was heard and his face turned into an instant red.

 

Despite my illness, I broke into peals of laughters.

 

*******

 

"Who is the one who said that he would cook for me?" I grumbled as I flipped the bread over to the other side.

 

"Well, I can. But you don't allow me to," he sat at the dinning table, smirking away.

 

"As if I would let you burn my flat down," I scoffed, placing the bread on the plates, together with the cooked eggs and sausages. "I still can't believe I'm doing this."

 

"Do what?"

 

"Cooking for an idiot even though I'm sick and supposed to be resting," I placed the plate in front of him and he started digging in.

 

"Come on, I'm just trying to make you move a little. Pespiration will make you feel a whole lot better." He cut the sausages and placed it into his mouth, savouring the taste as he nodded in contentment. "Hmmm, as expected. You're an amazing cook."

 

"Cut the praises, I don't buy tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter