Today's the day...

Life is like a train ride

 

Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul , Friday Feburary 4rd 2012

10am

“mflflghs.” Maria moaned as she moved around in the chair she was sleeping on, she yawned before opening her eyes and looking at Kibum sitting up on his hospital bed, reading a fashion magazine.
“Yah, why do you wake up so late? It’s already 10am and my operation is at 11 o’clock!” Kibum looked up to nag at her before continuing to read his magazine.
“Sorry…” Maria muttered before stretching and sitting up on the chair.
“Go wash up, and cover your mouth when you speak- I can smell your disgusting breath from here!”
“Fine, fine. I’m going…” Maria slowly stood up and walked into the en suit bathroom. She closed the door behind her and looked at her reflection in the mirror above the sink.
I look like a tramp, Maria thought to herself I should have brought some extra clothes or something before I fell asleep last night… Maria looked around the sink before finding an unopened toothbrush packet and a tube of toothpaste. Hmm, I wonder if I can watch the operation from the operation theatre… it’s not like the operation is really big, they might let me even take notes… Maria started to brush her teeth and thought what the operation would be like, they had already watched a video showing an appendix being removed during a class in university but she really wanted to know what it was like being in the room during an operation. Maria washed out and washed her face before walking out of the bathroom.

“Yah, you shouldn’t be sitting up before the operation- get some rest while you can.” Maria told off Kibum before walking toward the door leading out into the hospital corridor.
“Fine… Don’t bring any food into the room or I’ll get hungry… and don’t bring any water or I’ll get thirsty…” Maria sighed before walking out of the room towards the cafeteria, once she got to the cafeteria she looked at the food and pouted. Ew, they only have salads and sandwiches right now… She picked up a turkey sandwich and bottle of water before walking to the checkout and paying. Why do hospitals have to be so healthy… it’s not like the patients have to buy the unhealthy stuff… its unfair for the people visiting the patients. Whilst slowly walking back to the hospital room, Maria started eating her sandwich. I should bring some proper food next time I have to come to the hospital, can’t live on salads and sandwiches whilst working in the hospital…

“Yah! Watch where you’re going!”
Maria looked up at the man she just bumped into, “I’m sorry!” Maria bowed before looking up at the man again.
“Oh! Sunbae!” Maria exclaimed out loud, grinning at the handsome young man in front of her.
“Ah… Maria?” The young doctor closed the folders he was looking at and smiled sweetly at his hoobae. “How are you? Studying hard?”
“Yes! Ah… actually I lie, I haven’t studied in quite a long time...” Maria giggled and hide her smile behind her hand before bowing her head slightly.
“Uh-oh! That’s not good enough for a medical student… Why are you in the hospital anyways? Are you hurt?” The doctor chuckled before putting on his serious face and looking at the young woman up and down.
“No! No!” She yelled out, waving her hands out in front of her. “I have a friend with appendicitis, his operation is today and he’s too scared to do it alone.”
“Ahh…” The doctor looked at his file briefly before asking; “your friend wouldn’t happen to be Kim Kibum, would he?”
“How do you know that?” Maria looked at him with wide eyes, grinning from ear to ear.
“He’s the only operation that’s booked for today; it’s only because of his celebrity status that we’re letting him have the operation this early. It was meant to be tomorrow morning…”
“Really? I’m sorry for inconveniencing you!” Maria bowed before mentally face palming, you idiot… it’s not like it really matters to him if he has an operation today…
“No, it’s fine! Are you going to his room now? I was just about to head there.” Maria nodded before biting her lip and looking around for a bin to put her half eaten sandwich. The doctor took it from her and threw it into the bin not far away, he flashed a smile at Maria before walking into the direction of Kibum's room.
“Sunbae, wait for me!” Maria ran up to the doctor to catch up with him.
“Oh, sorry!” The doctor chuckled, “I forgot how short your legs are…” He patted Maria on the head gently before Maria swatted his hand away.

“It’s fine, I’d rather be short than look like I’m walking on stilts!” Maria giggled before running to Kibum's rooms door and rushing inside.
“Yah, Bummie! Guess what?” Maria gushed, not waiting for Kibum to answer- although it didn’t really look like he was going to reply anytime soon with his jaw wide open. “Your doctor is my sunbae from high school and university! You’re so lucky, he’s amazing!” Maria clapped her hands in delight, Kibum cleared his throat and scoffed.
“He obviously has to be good enough to treat me; I just hope he’s not as stupid as you!” Kibum slowly moved his body before gasping in pain.
“Let me help!” Maria quickly started to help Kibum before he swatted her hands away.
“It’s fine, why don’t you go back to that doctor sunbae guy?”

“You should accept her help; you’re in a lot of pain.” The doctor said from the doorway, flicking through Kibum’s file.
“Kibum, this is Oh Jae Won, Jae Won sunbae this is Kim Kibum- although I’m pretty sure you know that already!” Maria giggled before hiding her smile behind her hand.
“Yah… go away if you’re going to act like that.” Kibum rolled his eyes gave Maria a scowl before turning his head away.
“What am I acting like? Sunbae, am I acting weird?” Maria turned to Oh Jae Won and asked him.
“Nope, you’re just as cute as you used to be.” Dr. Oh grinned and walked towards Kibum, he started to check his stats and write down what he saw onto Kibum's file. Maria hid her blush by covering her face with her hands.

Kibum rolled his eyes again after seeing Maria act cute; “can’t you make her get out?”
“No, I think you should be the one getting out now.”
“What?” Kibum looked at the doctor, startled at what he just said.
“It’s time for your operation now, Kibum-ssi.” The doctor pressed a button on the wall behind Kibum’s hospital bed, soon after a few nurses walked in and started to unlock the wheels on Kibum's bed.
“Wait, can Maria come?” Kibum looked around for Maria, wincing in pain when he moved too fast. Maria smiled at the doctor and walked to the side of Kibum's bed.
“Can I please, please, please come?” Maria pouted at Jae Won and did her best puppy dog eyes at him. Oh Jae Won sighed before looking at his watch.
“Sure, I guess we can let you in- but you have to watch from the corner, you also have to wear the gown and mask, I think you know what to do.” Maria nodded and smiled at Kibum, Kibum bit his lip and sighed gently before slowly laying back on the hospital bed.

“It will be fine, Kibum. It’s just a tiny operation that many people have,” Maria comforted Kibum before helping the nurses put the railings up on the sides of his bed. “It won’t take long; you’ll be awake before this evening!” Maria exclaimed- her so called ‘comforting’ words keeping Kibum from having a tantrum in the middle of the hospital. He felt his bed move and glide out of his room and down the endless corridors; Maria’s excited chattering drowning out the other noises in the hospital- especially the excited whispers of other patients (and sometimes medical staff) noticing who he was. When they got to the entrance of the operation room Maria looked down at Kibum and nodded with a small smile on her face.
“It will be fine, I’m just going to go get changed and I’ll meet you in the operation room.” Kibum nodded, the movement being small and gentle- his throat was too dry for him to reply and his body aching too much for him to nod properly. He watched Maria and Oh Jae Won walk through a door with a huge “MEDICAL STAFF ONLY” sign boldly printed on it; a few minutes later, he felt the bed he was lying on slowly glide across the squeaky clean floors and go through the huge double doors that were right next to the door that Maria went through. He gulped before slowly looking around his environment.

He could see a couple of nurses take out his IV drip and put in another one, he also saw the doctor look at the instruments on the tray in front of him. However, the only thing that made him nervous was the awkward smile Maria gave him from across the room- it wasn’t like the smile that she gave him outside of the operation room. She looked jumpy and paler than five minutes ago, something is definitely up, Kibum thought, she looks so worried. Kibum tried to smile at Maria before noticing his eye sight becoming blurry.

“Kibum, I want you to count backwards from 10; 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5…” Each number Dr. Oh Jae Won said out loud made Kibum lose his senses even more; he could barely see Maria’s face but he could still tell she was quite jumpy from the shaking of her legs and the swinging of her arms.

“4, 3…” Kibum couldn’t see anymore, but he could just hear the doctor’s voice slowly fading away.
At last, Kibum couldn’t hear anything or see anything- he could only feel the sadness in his chest because of the last, awkward smile Maria gave him.

--------

OH MY GOSH GUYS I'VE JUST REALISED I CAN GO TO MY LOCAL CAFE TO GET INTERNET. My local cafe is like 30mins away though T.T I really don't like what I've done in this chapter, but since I have come up with nothing else, I will leave you guys with this! :)

Sorry for any typos! :)