First Day at SSA

Memoirs of a Teenage Mutt~On Hiatus~

 

My eyes slowly start to open and I realize the lights were on.
 
"Strange the only way for them to be is if someone clapped, and I don't think I clap in my slee-AHHHHH!" I scream as I realize Key Umma was laying next to me smiling.
 
When my screaming stopped Umma's smile only grew wider, "Hiya!" he simply says
 
"H-how long were you there?" I stutter. 
 
"Almost a hour I think..." he says still smiling. "Time to get up kiddo its time for SCHOOOOOOOOOOLL~! Your uniform is laid out on the chair! PALI, PLAI! WE DON'T WANNA BE LATE NOW DO WE?! " he says jumping out of my bed leaving me frozen. I really shouldn't be surprised he would do something like this.. Bu-bu-but why is what scares me....
 
I slowly get on my uniform and all the accessories Umma has kindly laid out even though i have mentoned more than once i like to dress casually. I put everything on slowly so i wouldnt mess up anything Umma put out for me, I dont want to make the same mistake twice.
 
"NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SABINYAAAAAAAAAAAA GET YOUR READY FOR SCHOOL!" Key Umma sings/screams his bad impersonation of the Lion King's opening song down the hall. I run out of my bedroom, not wanting to keep Umma waiting any longer, to the kitchen find a creepily balanced breakfast in front of me.
 
Before I could finish gawking Umma pushed me towards my seat, "Hurry up and eat you dont wanna be late on your first day~!.. DINO WAKE YOUR UP AND COME EAT THIS PERFECTLY BALANCED MEAL I HAVE PREPARED FOR THE FAMILY!" Key Umma screams down the hall. He must have a strong voice to be screaming all the time...
 
"Aish why must you always be so loud" Jonghyun Appa says agitatedly, sitting down across from me. Umma smiles, (Umma smiling at annoying appa, uh, I think not!) leans down real close, and says, "SO YOUR TINY BRAIN CAN UNDERSTAND ME!" So loud that he makes Appa fall on the floor.
 
"YAH!" he says. Umma doesnt respond but just sticks his tongue at him and sits in his seat across from me. Appa grumbles some very mean things in Korean as he takes the seat next to Umma.
"Omo, my dear, you are gonna have a blast now don't be nervous and if you want during break you can come in my class and eat lunch with me!" Umma says trying to totally noticeable nervs.
 
"Yeah and almost every teacher speaks English so you wont have a problem." Appa says with a mouthfull of food. I nod my head not wanting to interrupt my eating time.  Key kept babbling about how much fun I was going to have and Jong continued to stuff his face and I just sat there quietly eating away my paranoia.
 
"YAH! Appa can you not stuff your face for two seconds and say something to your daughter..." Umma says annoyed.
 
"Ummmmm be yourself..... Bullies are just jealous.... Hugs no drugs..." he says in between huge chuncks of food. By then Umma had had it and slapped him upside the head.
 
Before he could whine like the baby he was Umma slapped him again and said, "Shut yo face we gotta go." he says getting up and grabbing his murse from the couch and getting the keys to the car.
 
I get up fast and run to the mirror to check to see if i look Key Umma acceptable still. By the time i was making last minute preps, Umma was already honking impatiently.  hurry into the back seat of our jeep before we drove off to the first day of hell known as High School.
 
~
 
"RINNNNNNNGGGGGGGRINGYRINNNGGG~!" The school's annoying bell went off just as we pulled up.
 
Key faces me in the car before getting out, "Okay, I know howembarrassing it is for your mother to kiss you in the car, but.." He grabs my face and kisses both my cheeks with a loving, "MWAH!"
 
I blush, "Thank you, Umma. Wish me luck!" I unbuckle and get out of the car.
 
"SCARRRRRRRLEEEETTTTT~!" Key calls from the car right when I turn around.
 
"Yes, Umma??" I ask, ducking to see him through the window.
 
"YOU FORGOT THISSSSSS~!" He waves a brown leather backpack around.
 
"Oh," I take it, "Thanks."
 
"I packed you a bento and some things you will need throughout the day. Now go! You're going to be late! PALLI!" He drives away to the parking lot.
 
I slide on the backpack as I walk through the doors of my new school. I'm so nervous.. I haven't been to a school in so long.. I feelnauseas..
 
Everyone was rushing to their classrooms. The lady at the front desk from yesterday saw me and gave me a small smile. I smile back and start walking to my first class.
 
Man..My stomach is really hurting.. Wait.. When is my- OH . YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
 
"Where the hell is the restro-OOF!" I ran into someone who had randomly stopped in front of me.
 
I hop back a couple steps, regaining my balance. The girl in front of me turns around, glaring at me with hateful eyes.
 
She crosses her arms, "YAH!" She yells. About few other girls, I'm assuming her friends, stand around me with the same stance as her.
 
"I'm.. I'm sorry.." I stutter shyly.
 
She and her friends laugh, "Oh~ She's American!"
 
One of the girls with short black hair talks to the one I bumped into. I heard her call her Victoria. She shakes her head and starts walking away.
 
Victoria scoffs and struts away calling her other friends along with her.
 
Way to go, Scarlet. Already causing trouble.
 
Looking for someone to ask for help, I see Taemin make his way down the dance hall for class. I jog slowly and catch up to him.
 
"Taemin," I say and he turns around, giving me a look of slight disgust.
 
Great to see you too, douche.
 
"Restroom?" I ask quickly.
 
He points behind him. I look around him and down the hallway to find a sign with a restroom symbol.
 
"Thanks." I give him a look of relief and walk down the hallway.
 
When I reach the restroom I realize I was right. I had started. But I also realized something else. I am not prepared.
 
"Whaaaat do I doooo?" I groan.
 
I remember the backpack attached to me. "Oooh~" I take it off and it. "I wonder if Ke- OH MY GOD."
 
I look inside and find my backpack halfway filled with tampons and pads.
 
"Key Ummaaaa~" I laugh and remember what he said in the car.
 
'I packed a bento and some things you will need throughout the day.'
 
How the hell could he have known about my period? Mother's instinct, I guess..
 
~
 
", , , ..." I mutter on the way to my class. The bell rang. I'm late. And it's my first day.
 
What a great way to start out the year, Scarlet.
 
I open the door and close it behind me quickly.
 
About 25 blank faces stare at me in surprise. I stare back at them awkwardly. The teacher walks towards me.
 
He was a middle aged and tall. He was a toned and muscular man. If he wasn't my literature teacher, I would've thought he was a athletics teacher.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo," I bow awkwardly.
 
He smiles and says some things in Korean too quickly. I heard my name so he was probably explaining to the students who I was.
 
He points to a seat in the back of the room of the far right. The girl seated beside the empty seat must have seen my confusion because she motions for me to go sit beside her.
 
I tip toe to my seat awkwardly, avoiding backpacks and purses in the walkway. I plop down in my seat and slide off my backpack. The girl seated beside me slides a piece of paper in front of me.
 
Hello, Scarlet! My name is Sunny~
 
I look at Sunny and smile shyly. She smiles back and wiggles her fingers into a cute wave.
 
She's so adorable.. I think to myself. She took the paper back and scribbled on it some more.
 
This teacher can't speak English. So I will write down what he is saying for you.
 
I look at her shocked. Oh no. He can't speak English?
 
Quickly, I take out a pen from my backpack and write on the paper.
 
Is there anybody here that can teach me Korean?
 
We usually don't have American students here. So they didn't bother to hire one. But don't worry. My parents taught me English at an early age, so I will teach you Korean if you want.
 
Could you really?? Thank you so much!
 
No problem~ ^^ In fact, if you need help with anything, let me know.
 
You truly are a life saver.
 
Oh! And the teacher is talking about a book we finished last week, don't worry about the lesson today.
 
Have I missed much in school?
 
Considering it's the middle of November, you may have missed a thing or two ;) But don't fret, I'll help you catch up. 
 
I gave her a desperate but grateful expression and mouthed 'Thank you'. She smiled politely and nodded once. The rest of class I was off into space wondering about how my other classes would be..
 
~
 
"RRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG~!" The bell went off.
 
Awoken from my daydreams, I look up at Sunny, "Is class already over?" 
 
"Sure is~!" She grins, "You need help getting to your next class?"
 
I pick up my backpack and stand up, pushing my chain in, "No, I know were it is. Thank you, Sunny." I smile. 
 
"No problem, Hun!" She looks at her watch, "We better go! We'll be late! I'll see you later~!" She hops away.
 
I guess I've already got someone to talk to while I'm here..
 
~
 
I make it to Jonghyun Appa's class just in time. Closing the door behind me, I realize there was no one else in that class but us two.
 
Jong Appa was standing in front of his music stand flipping through music sheets. I clear my throat and he pops his head up to look at me, "Oh! Scarlet! Come here for a moment." He motions.
 
Sliding off my backpack, I set it by the door and furrow my eyebrows, "Jonghyun Appa? Where are the other students?" I ask softly as I walk to his podium. 
 
He chuckles softly and shakes his head, still looking through the papers, "Key.. Had this.. This image.. That if we were in a one on one class.. That we would get to know each other better. This is my conference period."
 
"Oh." I cough.
 
He takes a quick look at me then back at his papers, "Which, I guess, I understand what he's thinking. Key adapts to people almost immediately. Ever wonder why everyone calls him Umma?" He smirks. 
 
I let out a small laugh and nod. He continues, "But me.. I take a while to get used to people. Especially kids. They just seem to not like me for my 'dino hair'," He scoffs. 
 
"I won't be a bother to you. And I like your hair!" I grin.
 
He looks at me seriously for a moment, then burst out into laughter, "Aigoo~ Key wasn't kidding.. You are pretty adorable." He ruffles my hair.
 
I let out a small gasp and fix it quickly. Appa!! What if Key walks in?? He would have a fit!!!
 
"Okay.." Jonghyun Appa sighs, "So today I was just thinking we'd start out with a simple song. Just singing. No work. Just letting loose. So I can get a good feel for your voice." 
 
I nod a couple times, "Alright, I'm fine with that." 
 
"So.. Do you have any songs you'd like to sing for me? Any favorites?"
 
"Actually.." I say softly, "I heard this one right before I left foster care song that really stuck to me." 
 
His eyes light up a little, "Do you know what it was called." 
 
I tap my chin and think back on the lyrics a little, "It was in English.. The chorus said 'I won't give up'. That sound familiar?"
 
He suddenly starts flying through the sheets of music. I gape at him as he, within seconds, hands me the song of my choice.
 
"Oh.. Kay then.." I blink.
 
He jumps off the podium and pulls up a chair, plopping down in it carelessly, "Alright, Scarlet. Just sing. No pressure. I just want to hear you." 
 
I clear my throat a little and nod. No pressure.. No pressure.. THERE'S DEFINITELY PRESSURE!!!!!!!!
 
Taking a deep breath, I look down at the first set of lyrics, and my voice took care of the rest.
 
Before I knew it, I was at the chorus. I take a peek around the music at my appa. He was grinning widely with his eyes closed. Is he amused by this?? Am I bad??
 
"I won't give up.. On us.. Even if the skies.. Get rough.. I'm giving you all my love.. I'm still looking up..."
 
I stop and lower the music, "Is.. Is that enough? Did y-you want the whole song-g or..?" I stutter, anxious for his feedback.
 
He lets out a small laugh and shakes his head, grabbing the bridge of his nose with two fingers, "Why are you even in Vocal Improvement Lessons?" He looks up at me.
 
"I-I.. Uh.. I-"
 
"You don't even need them." He stands up and wraps his arms around me into a bear hug. 
 
Jonghyun Appa.. Is hugging me.. He's HUGGING ME. WHAT THE JUST HAPPENED? Oh.. God.. I can't breathe..
 
"A-appa.." I gasp, "P-please.. I need air.."
 
"Bwoah?.. Oh!" He releases me.
 
I bend over and gasp in a quick breath. Holy fu- How much does this guy bench? 
 
"Kenchana?" He looks for my face.
 
I look up at him and glare at him a little, "Appa. English. Please."
 
"Are you okay?" He says apologetically. 
 
"I'm fine.. So wait.. You liked it?" 
 
"Are you kidding me? Can you even hear yourself when you sing?? Scarlet, you're amazing!" He grabs my shoulders and shakes he a little.
 
"Whoa-a.. Appa, calm down." I take his hands off my shoulders.
 
He smiles widely and does this little spasm with his hands, "I'M SORRY. I'M JUST SO HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE A VOICE LIKE AN ANGEL ASDFGHJKL!" He fangirls. 
 
Appa.. Have you been watching dramas with Key Umma?
 
"I'm glad you like it!" I giggle.
 
 
The rest of class was great. We sang other songs and I even got a chance to harmonize with him. He seems so happy with my talent. I'm glad this was the breakthrough for us. Now I'm close to Key Umma AND Jong Appa. 
 
But despite our bondings, class came to an ending, and I had to go on to third period with.. Taemin..
 
"I'll see you later, Appa!" I pick up my backpack and give him a small wave.
 
He stands back up at his podium and waves back at me, "Later, Scar!" 
 
Walking through the door, I make my way to the dance hall. 

Great. Now I have to deal with Taemin and my two left feet. God help me...