Travelling

Travelling

When we first met you were like a dream come true.

It was just so unbelievable that someone like you would fall in love with someone like me.

We were children in love, playful and ignorant of the outside world, content in our world made for two.

Then one day you came to me and revealed something that made the whole world we built around us fall down.

You were leaving...You wouldn't tell me why, or for how long you'd be gone. You just kissed me like you didn't have a tomorrow and left me in tears.

You broke my heart you jerk. With your perfect smile and your beautiful eyes, you swept me into a world for two and then left me in it.

Days turned into weeks, and then weeks turned into months. When the months turned into 4 years I finally gave up hope, you weren't coming back.

I tried to stop living, but every time I tried I could just hear that tiny voice in my head that sounded like yours, telling me to stop.

So I decided to live.I tried I really did. But everything always came back to you. I always found something that reminded me of you in this town.

So I packed a bag,and I left. I travelled everywhere, all over the world, sleeping only when I needed to, eating what ever I felt like and moving onto the next town whenever something reminded me of you.

I have lived this way for what seems like forever now. Never staying in one place for too long, not getting attached to anything and forever drifting all alone in my empty world, the world you left me alone in.

Imagine, just imagine what it felt like then when I was drinking in a crowded bar in Australia and across the room there you were.

It wasn't really you though, just your picture. A framed picture on the wall.

What was more surprising was that it was one of us, back when we were us. The publican noticed my apparent fascination with the picture; he bought me a drink and started to tell me the story of the picture and how it came to be in a pub in Australia.

He told me a story of two lovers separated by circumstances unknown, but one was gone for years and asked the other to wait for their return, the other waited but gave up hope and left the town the week before the other returned, I felt sick to my stomach and told the publican to continue his tale. He went on about how the one who left first has been searching the world for the other for years, leaving their picture in every pub he stops at and telling the story to everyone who will listen, he always comes back to the pubs where he has left their picture to see if anyone has seen his lover. The publican looks at me with a sigh, Good luck to the poor bloke he says, it looks like it’s been at least 10 years since that picture was taken.

Absentmindedly, I replied it’s been 11 years 1 month 2 weeks and 12 days.

I look at the picture and sigh. So you have spent that long looking for me, travelling the world to find me, when I have been travelling to forget you.

Ironic really. I then proceeded to drink myself into a stupor that landed me in hospital after an argument with a travelling car.

This is the first time I have been in a hospital for years, whenever I got hurt I simply moved on, never stopping always moving it never mattered how severe the injury was, nothing ever stopped me. Until this 2 broken ribs, a fractured arm and a broken leg. When they brought me out from surgery and I was still severely doped up on morphine I had a dream, you were there and you burst through the hospital doors like a knight in shining armour and I was your damsel in distress, I laughed at the fantasy of it all, knowing it was a dream.

You would never be there, you had probably forgotten about me. I smiled at how you spotted me and ran to my side. You grabbed my hand and smiled and told me how beautiful I looked with tears running down your face. I frowned and told you that you shouldn't cry, when you looked distressed and asked my why, I smiled and told you that angels didn't cry.