two.

Don't Cry My Lover

Hayoung didn't know what to do with a sobbing toddler, and had to control herself from cursing outwardly in front of Daesoo. She did the first sensible thing that came to her mind, and pressed the fifth number on her speed dial.

"Hello?"

"It's nice to know you're still in Korea." Hayoung didn't bother to hide the sarcasm in her voice. "And you couldn't be bothered to find out where your son is."

"I couldn't care less. I'm moving to Canada soon, with my girlfriend."

WHAT?!

"Excuse me, what kind of irresponsible man are you-"

 "Don't talk as if you know what's going on. Our family was never meant to be." Kwanghyun sneered. "It was a stupid mistake. Haeun was cheating on someone else all along - did she tell you that?"

She did mention in her note...

"That's not the main point now. Don't you want Daesoo? He's your son, for goodness sake!" Hayoung rubbed her temples furiously as she felt a headache coming on.  

"He's just a burden. We'll be better off without him."

"You-"

Hayoung's mouth hung wide open as Kwanghyun hung up on her, the line dead. She prayed that Daesoo didn't hear whatever his 'father' had said, and was relieved to see that he was busy flipping through the calendar on her dining table, amazed at the beautiful scenery in some of the photos on the calendar.

"They would have made a good couple, being irresponsible together." Hayoung mumbled and went up to Daesoo. He looked up at her with huge, innocent eyes, and her heart melted instantly.

How could anyone not love and want this adorable kid?

"Daesoo, are you hungry?"

He looked up at her and shook his head. Hayoung breathed a sigh of relief inwardly, as she knew that her refrigerator was close to empty.

But being the little kid that he was, Daesoo had a short attention span and started walking around the apartment looking for something to play with, and unfortunately, Hayoung's apartment was void of anything to keep Daesoo interested. He started looking lost and sad, and Hayoung feared that he might be missing his parents too much, and she couldn't pacify crying kids to save her life.

"Daesoo, we're going out to buy groceries." She bent down and looked at the little boy, and he gave her a curious look.

"Groceries?" He repeated that word, and Hayoung realized he didn't understand what she just said.

"Groceries are things we need daily, like...food!" She smiled, and so did Daesoo, who got extremely excited at the mention of food. 

"Food! Food!" Daesoo got really excited, and Hayoung couldn't help but laugh at how cute he was. 

"Let's go!" She took his little hand in hers, and walked towards the door.

If you two don't want him, and don't take care of him, then I will.


Kris was bored. As usual.

He couldn't even be bothered to smile anymore, as he watched the girls in the shop giggling at him, instead of choosing toys to buy. It irked him how these girls were so superficial, and even though he had no personal preference for toys, he still wished that people would pay more attention to the toys than him.

He was even starting to suspect that he was employed just to attract customers.

"Oppar, how much is this doll?" A girl with thick makeup batted her eyelashes at Kris, and he shuddered inwardly.

"Read the price tag." He said coldly, trying to hide his contempt.

She was equally put off by his lack of interest in her, and shot him a look before strutting off to her friends. Kris rolled his eyes and played with his phone, reading the latest news of the day. 

Just then, a little boy's distinctive voice rang out, and Kris watched in surprise as the boy ran into the shop, while looking in awe at all the toys that were displayed. 

"Daesoo!" 

A girl appeared at the door at the next moment, and she was panting heavily. She didn't see Kris, but focused on the boy who was still staring at the toys in amazement. "You shouldn't have run away like that!" 

Kris watched as the girl saw what the boy was looking at, picked up the toy soldier from the shelf and handed it to him. 

"Daesoo, you want this toy?" Beads of perspiration were rolling down her face, but she didn't seem to be concerned as she looked at the little boy with genuine concern and love. The boy nodded his head, and a small smile appeared on her face.

"I will buy it for you, okay?" She finally turned to go to the counter, and that was when she saw Kris standing there, watching the whole scene.

Kris had to admit that the girl was very pretty, and looked way too young to be a mother to a toddler. What he admired was, however, was how she cared so much for the kid, and it reminded him a little of how his mother used to buy him toys too.

"Your son?" He asked out of curiosity. "He's really adorable."

The girl turned flustered, and shook her head furiously. "Oh no, no, no! He's my nephew. I'm just helping my sister to take care of him." 

Oops.

Kris didn't know what to do after mistaking the boy for her son, but she quickly salvaged the situation by handing the toy soldier over. 

"I'm buying this." The girl looked down at the little boy, who was jumping around with excitement. "Daesoo-ah, are you happy?" The boy didn't seem to talk much, but his joy was apparent.

Kris finally let out a smile as at the heart-warming sight, as he scanned the barcode and punched in a few numbers on the cash register. He made a mental note to ask the girl for her name, and perhaps he could be friends with this girl who seemed to be much more genuine than all those fake fangirls.

"That would be 30 000 won." 

Maybe this is why I wanted to work here, after all.