ten.

Don't Cry My Lover

It was evening when Kris knocked off from work early so as to visit Daesoo and let Hayoung go home to rest. He knew that she must have been really tired ever since yesterday, and the last thing he wanted was for her to collapse from exhaustion.

He entered the ward and smiled wistfully. Hayoung had fallen asleep by the side of Daesoo's bed with her head on his blanket, while tightly holding onto his small little hand as Daesoo himself also entered dreamland. They looked just like mother and son, and the sight warmed Kris' heart. 

He used to be a sickly kid himself, and was often hospitalized. Those days were utter misery for him, for he could only watch as other children fool around and enjoy their childhood, while he laid in bed and watched as time ticked by. However, the only thing that comforted him was the fact that his mother would stay by his side and hold his hand in her own, and when he woke up, the first person he would see was his mother.

Good times didn't last long, for the tables were turned when he entered high school.

Kris found himself holding his mother's hand as she was in his place, bedridden for life from a car accident. In a coma until the very last breath she took, he had watched over her as she slipped away from him even though he was holding her hand tightly.

Hayoung stirred slightly in her sleep, while Daesoo tossed and turned. Kris couldn't help but let his hand lightly ruffle Hayoung's hair, and she snored softly in return. He chuckled at her snoring, and Daesoo opened one eye at the sudden noise.

"You love Aunt Hayoung, don't you?"

Kris looked at Daesoo, clearly alarmed. He hadn't expected the boy to be awake, and was even more startled by his question. He had clearly underestimated this boy's capabilities to intepret situations and understand people's feelings.

"No, not in that way."

"That's not true. My daddy used to look at my mummy that way too."

"Used to?"

Daesoo nodded. "Then one day he stopped. I don't know why. After that, my mummy left. I think my daddy left too. That's why I live with Aunt Hayoung now."

Kris was at a lack of words to comfort him, but he could relate well. His own father had turned into a completely different person after his mother had passed away, but he didn't have relatives who could treat him like he was their own son. None of them had the heart to love a boy they weren't concerned about. It left him growing up to yearn to be independent so that he could completely break off all ties with his father.

So how could Hayoung sacrifice her time and effort to care for a nephew as though he was her own son?

"Aunt Hayoung treats me really well. She always feeds me and plays with me even though she is worried about money. She even buys toys for me. Mummy never bought any for me. " Daesoo mused. "I love Aunt Hayoung."

A wave of admiration towards the girl washed over Kris. She was too young to be a mother, but she tried to be a good, reponsible one to Daesoo to the best of her capabilities. He truly believed that she deserved all his respect and admiration, for being someone who put others above herself, for being someone who had a heart.

"Maybe I do," Kris whispered as he gently combed her hair with his fingers, which felt like silk running through his own fingers, while Hayoung continued to snore gently.

"Maybe I do love her too."