eight.

Don't Cry My Lover

It didn't take Hayoung long to get used to the nature of the job - it was basically just stock-taking, and chasing crazy fangirls of Kris away, the latter being the more important and challenging aspect. She never failed to be amazed by the insane antics and desperate attitude of some of them, and she honestly wondered if it was even humanly possible to be so attracted to a guy.

She wouldn't deny the truth that he was good-looking, in fact, far better looking than any guy she had ever seen. His eyes sparkled with a tinge of intelligence and mischief, his nose charp and his jawline set so well that any entertainment agency wouldn't hesitate to rope him in.

"I can feel you staring at me, you know. If you turn into another fangirl of mine I'm going to ask boss to sack you."

She blushed, and quickly retorted in her defense, "Who's turning into your fangirl? Delusional."

Kris smirked, and continued to arrange the new arrivals on the shelves. He found her very amusing, and over time it was hard not to like her slightly stubborn yet humorous personality. He would listen to Hayoung rant about how food was becoming more and more expensive, and that she swore the last time she checked, the price of rice just went up by at least 20%. He would nod when she asked if such things were atrocious and absoutely unacceptable, and instead of finding her annoying, he just thought that it was quite endearing to be someone like that - someone who got down to practical things, instead of having her head in the air all the time.

And at the very least, she was sincere and didn't put up a fake front, not like everyone else that Kris had met - his parents weren't even exceptions.

"Is it just me, or has Daesoo been looking a little uncomfortable since just now?"

Hayoung squatted down to look at the little boy at eye level. He was constantly squirming on his seat, and a few beads of cold sweat were apparent on his forehead. 

"Let me check."

Kris placed his hand against Daesoo's forehead, and his eyebrows immediately shot up. It was burning, and he knew that this was an emergency.

"He's down with high fever."

Hayoung's eyes flashed with worry, and the motherly side of her emerged as she got slightly flustered.

"It's night and all the clinics are closed. We need to call an ambulance - wait, forget it, they're too slow, I'll carry him to the nearest hospital." Before she could do so, Daesoo was already on Kris' back, and the little boy whimpered softly as he wrapped his arms around Kris' neck.

"Let's go. Boss, we'll be back later!"

Slightly stunned by quickly recovering to her senses, Hayoung nodded and both of them dashed out of the shop, desperately pushing past the small crowd of girls still outside the shop. Annoyance and impatience was scrawled all over Kris' face, and all the girls immediately gave way after they saw how anxious he was.

It didn't take long to reach the hospital, but that short period of time felt like a long, tiring journey for Hayoung as she ran behind Kris, her mind clouded with worry as she saw Daesoo growing weaker, his face turning paler. Kris never did slow down his pace, and Daesoo was rushed into the A&E immediately when they reached the hospital. Hayoung's heart kept beating furiously even as the doors to the A&E closed on her, and she finally collapsed on a chair, her legs weak from both distraught and from running at a pace she had never attempted before.

"He'll be fine. Don't worry too much."

Kris seemed to be perfectly okay despite carrying Daesoo and running to the hospital, and he took the seat next to Hayoung, who was still panting and starting to let go of all the tears in her eyes that she refused to let Daesoo see.

"I don't know...I really don't know. I've never...never been so scared."

Kris was never good with comforting people, needless say comfort crying girls. He was hesitant for a while, before he placed his hand on her shoulder and pulled her close in as she cried and let her tears stain his branded blouse. He could feel her heart beating rapidly, and so was his own. He had never been in such close contact with her a girl before, but then again, a lot of firsts had happened with Hayoung.

The first time he started to like little children.

The first time he met a girl that was headstrong and independent.

The first time he saw someone caring so much for someone else.

"Thank you," Hayoung finally whispered after she calmed down and pulled away slightly from Kris, "I honestly don't know what I would do if you weren't around. I couldn't even think straight."

"It's okay."

"I feel as though I'm going to be indebted to you for a very long time," she smiled bitterly, "but thank you once again for everything, Kris."

"I said-"

Kris suddenly felt her head on his shoulder, and as he turned, he saw that she had fallen asleep. It had been a long day for her after all, and it was better to let her get some decent rest before she got herself into a worrying fit when Daesoo was out and she would run all over the place just trying to look after the little boy.

"Hey Kris, how's it over there? The boy, is he okay? And Hayoung?"

"Yes boss," he looked at Hayoung, "he should be fine. Hayoung's fallen asleep, but she's a lot better than she was just now."

"Take good care of both of them. I'll just take it that both of you took paid leave today, so don't worry too much about it. Tell her when she wakes up, okay?"

"No problem. And thank you so much for always understanding and helping me out."

"Silly boy, I'll hang up now so you won't disturb that girl's beauty sleep."

Kris chuckled softly as he hung up, and he let his eyes wander to Hayoung's peaceful sleeping form. There was no sign of worry, no sign of anxiety. He realized that she was, in fact, quite good-looking, and wondered why she was still single when girls like her should be someone that most guys would yearn to date. He brushed aside a stray strand of hair that had escaped from the hairpin on Hayoung's hair, and whispered softly as though to no one in particular.

"Thank you to you too, for rekindling my faith in humanity."