nine.

Don't Cry My Lover

Hayoung woke up with a splitting headache and extreme hunger, as though she hadn't eaten nor slept properly for a month. She groaned as she got up from wherever she was sleeping from and yawned loudly while stretching her tired and sore body.

"Good morning."

"Good morning Dae - wait." She thought that she had heard wrongly. Since when did Daesoo's voice crack and become so low?

"Kris. It's Kris. You seem to have this habit of forgetting my name." He smirked and flicked her forehead, causing to yelp slightly in pain. "You should tattoo my name on your hand or something, that way you won't forget."

"Okay okay I get it. Your name's Kris. Is there any other name you would like to be called by?"

"Well, you could always call me Wu Fan. I don't mind. Kevin is good too."

"Exactly how many names do you have?" Hayoung raised her eyebrow. "Is Kris even your real name?"

Obviously not. Kris' real name was Kevin Li Jiaheng, but in a bid to hide his identity as a rich heir, he had decided to just go by 'Kris' which he thought sounded pretty classy (A/N: author has puked while typing this, sorry readers) and he wanted no one else to know his full real name. No, not even Hayoung could he totally trust. He was just too cautious for his own good.

"Just remember Kris. Kris Kris Kris Kris. I would make you write it down a thousand times if that helps too. By the way, Daesoo's out of danger. The doctor and nurses came to tell me three hours ago that he's in the ward just down the corridor, and that we can go and visit him once you wake up."

Hayoung nodded, before realizing that Kris had probably slept for only three hours.

"No wonder you look so exhausted."

"Hmm?"

"Nothing." Thankful that Kris hadn't heard her random mumble, Hayoung got up and pulled on Kris' hand to get him to stand up too. "Let's go visit him, he must be scared lying in a foreign place without us."

Kris smiled as he felt Hayoung's hand in his, letting his bigger hand envelope hers in his warmth. It felt right as they walked down together, and he was even hoping that the corridor would never end so that they could keep walking on and on like that. She was a tough girl who could do well enough on her own, but he constantly felt this need to protect her and stay by her side, for some reason he couldn't exactly figure out. He got a little disappointed when they reached Daesoo's ward and she immediately let go of his hand, letting it drop lifelessly.

"Daesoo!"

She rushed up to the little boy lying on the bed. He looked so weak and fragile, and Hayoung couldn't help but feel her heart clench as she saw her dearest nephew looking so pale and sickly.

"I'm sorry Daesoo, it's my fault for not taking care of you better. How are you? Are you feeling better? If you aren't feeling well just call me or call the nurse, okay?"

"Yes Aunt Hayoung."

Daesoo responded with a soft and weak whisper, but she was happy enough to see that he at least had the energy to respond. She ruffled his hair and clasped his small hand in his, and he smiled to see that his aunt was there with him. 

"You are really one family to be envious of."

"Eh?"

A nurse behind Kris quipped as she walked past him who was still standing at the door and took Daesoo's temperature while Hayoung moved aside politely. "You two are such a loving couple, and you have such an adorable kid. Anyone would be jealous of you."

"We're not a couple!" Both Kris and Hayoung protested at the same time, and the nurse shook her head in amusement. "His fever's subsided, but he'll still need to remain hospitalized for the mean time."

"Thank you." 

As the nurse left the ward, Kris went up to speak to Daesoo for a while, before turning to Hayoung and telling her to go home and rest. "You're tired enough as it is, now go home and get some proper rest before you end up being warded here too for fatigue."

"Speak for yourself, you got even less sleep than I did yesterday night." Hayoung stuck her tongue out at him, and Daesoo watched on as they bickered over who needed more sleep.

"Aunt Hayoung and Uncle Kris, why don't you two just sleep together here?"

"WHAT?!"

Daesoo cocked his head to the side in curiosity. "I do that with the other children in the kindergarten. We'll just sleep on the same mat for an afternoon nap. Is that wrong?"

Oh, so that was what he meant.

The two adults looked away from each other from embarrassment, while Daesoo continued being ignorant and totally oblivious of the awkward atmosphere he had just created.

"I...I'll just go home. Can you stay and look after Daesoo?"

"Uh...uh yeah just...go. Call me when you're coming again."

Still refusing to look each other in the eye, Hayoung walked briskly out of the ward and breathed rapidly when she finally got out of the hospital.

"Is it about time that I teach Daesoo about the birds and the bees?"