four.

Don't Cry My Lover

It had been a week since Daesoo came to live with Hayoung, and since Hayoung met Kris at the toy shop.

Hayoung had difficulty adjusting her lazy, carefree lifestyle in order to meet Daesoo's needs, but she was slowly, but surely, getting used to it. She would wake up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for Daesoo, sometimes a piece of bread with a thin layer of peanut butter on it, at other times just a muffin she bought from the bakery nearby. Hayoung didn't really mind the extra work, because it also meant extra company in her otherwise lonely and boring life.

Kris never crossed her mind again, as she had lots of other things on her mind, including the fact that she was jobless and had another mouth to feed.

"Oh, the job has been taken? It's alright, thank you!" 

Hayoung sighed again as she crossed out the job. 

"I'm not even being picky. I'm willing to settle with a low-paying job but no one wants to give me the job!" She grumbled as she tossed the day's newspapers aside. 

"Aunt Hayoung, I'm still hungry." Daesoo pouted, and Hayoung rubbed her temples. Normally she would have vented her frustration at anyone who disturbed her while she was worrying, but she just couldn't do it to Daesoo.

"I'll go look in the fridge." 

Hayoung got up and nearly had a heart attack when she opened the fridge door.

"What? What is this atrocity?!" Hayoung gaped when she saw the empty fridge. "Not a single edible food item? How is this even humanly possible? We just went to the supermarket one week ago and I swear I only go to the supermarket once a fortnight...oh."

She looked at Daesoo, whose stomach just rumbled loudly.

"Figures." 

"We're going to the supermarket again." Hayoung picked up her wallet from the coffee table, and winced a little when she saw that she was left with only one-fifth the amount she started with from the beginning of the month. 

Raising a kid sure is expensive.


"Finally!" 

Kris kept a cool face on as he walked past the girls that were still crowding at the entrance of the toy shop, while he was mentally stabbing them. 

Do these people not have a life?

He unlocked his phone, and saw the note that he had typed but forgotten about completely.

"Time to buy groceries again." 

Sometimes he did regret leaving the comfortable life that he once had, and could continue to lead. After all, he was raised to lead a lifestyle that had people serving him all the time; however, things had changed. He was no longer waited on, and it was initially difficult for him to learn to do everything by his own. He remembered nearly burning the kitchen down the first time he tried to cook kimchi fried rice, and how he almost caused the washing machine to explode because he didn't know how to work it and pressed all the buttons randomly.

Every near-disaster was a lesson learnt, and Kris was proud of himself for going through this valuable learning process.

He looked through the list he had made, and headed to the vegetables section first. Very soon, he got everything he needed and went to the cashier to pay.

"Aunt Hayoung! I want this candy!"

That familiar voice and that familiar name made Kris turn his head to the counter next to his, and he saw the girl with the little boy, also paying for their groceries.

"Hang on..."

The girl fumbled with her wallet as she counted the dollar notes. Her face fell as she saw that the amount of money she had was only enough to pay for the groceries, and insufficient to buy the candy for the boy.

"I'm sorry Daesoo, Aunt Hayoung doesn't have enough money." She bent down to ruffle the boy's hair, but he seemed far from pacified as he started to sob while clutching the candy in his hand.

Kris walked forward with his own bags of groceries, and immediately paid the cashier the due amount of cash before Hayoung could even respond. 

"W..what?" Hayoung was stunned, and a look of pure shock crossed her face as she recognized Kris. "Aren't you that guy from the toy shop?" 

"I have a name, for your information," He turned to smile at the cashier. "Keep the change."

Hayoung's eyes widened, and stuttered, "Erm....erm...I don't think...it'll be good for..."

"If you're thinking of paying me back, just forget it." Kris patted Daesoo's head, and the little boy smiled back innocently at him, the streaks of tears on his face slowly drying. "You look like you're struggling just to pay for your groceries."

Hayoung blushed from embarrassment, and put a hand behind her head, the way she always did when she was in an awkward situation. She didn't know what else to do, so she just thanked Kris.

"I'll find a way to thank you for this, that's for sure." 

"Do you have a job?" Kris didn't take his eyes off Daesoo, who was chewing intently on his candy with a brighth smile on his face, totally oblivious to the conversation that was taking place.

"No. I just graduated from university, and you know how things are nowadays....the economy is just so bad, even a graduate like me can't find a decent job." 

Kris nodded. He knew that the recent recession had caused an unusually high unemployment rate, and his father's company had to retrench at least one hundred employees. 

"Well, we'll better get going." Hayoung pulled on Daesoo's hand, but Kris stopped her.

"I'll help you to find a job." Kris whipped out his phone and handed it to her with the keypad displayed. "Give me your number, I'll call you once I find one for you."

Hayoung raised her eyebrow. If this guy was trying to get her.....

"And no, don't get the wrong idea. I don't want both of you to starve to death, especially not this little boy." 

And now he reads minds?

Hayoung quickly typed her number in, and was about to turn and leave when she swore she heard Kris whisper in her ear.

"You can call me Kris. Kris Wu."


:D I must apologize for my slow and short updates because.....school D: I hope you guys are enjoying the story! Thank you for all the support thus far :DDD And woah 20 subscribers with just 3 chapters? You guys are amazing!