one.

Don't Cry My Lover

"Good morning, feel free to look around." Kris bowed as the first customer of the day entered the shop, while secretly cursing in his mind, "Just hurry up and get out of here."

Kris didn't even know why he decided to take up this job - he absolutely hated faking being nice and polite to a bunch of demanding strangers, and worse - the kids. They were absolutely noisy, rowdy, and had a tendency to break expensive toys that would get him into trouble.

His mind wandered to the office that his father had promised him, it suddenly seemed so much more enticing, but then the idea was soon dismissed as he shuddered thinking about having to sign contract after contract, and talk to even more demanding, and even more important, clients. 

"How much is this?" The young man raised a teddy bear, and Kris had to control himself from strangling the guy for not being able to read the price tag on his own, that was dangling from the bear itself.

"45 000 won." He managed to force a smile.

The man's face fell, and he quickly put the bear back on the shelf. 

"Horrendous." He muttered, and Kris managed to catch it. He was extremely tempted to pick up the broom that was lying in a corner of the shop and sweep the man out of the shop and ban him from ever coming in again.

"Thank you, hope to see you again." Kris muttered as the man quickly got out of the shop, and then rolled his eyes when the door finally closed.

"Horrendous? Fits you well." He cursed as he fiddled with the teddy bear that the man just put down. "You're cute." He whispered to the bear as he pinched its paw.


Sun rays streamed into Hayoung's room through the windows, and she got up lazily, hardly containing her yawns. She had been like this for a few days ever since she graduated, and was still looking for a job.

"What's the point of studying so much when no one wants to employ me?" She groaned as she poured milk into a glass cup. "I could have just dropped out of high school."

Hayoung was living alone in her small apartment, with her parents living abroad in Canada, enjoying their retirement life. Her sister had moved out to live with her husband five years ago, and they even had a baby boy together. A smile formed on Hayoung's face as she thought about the adorable nephew she had. He resembled her sister a lot, and more or less looked a little like Hayoung.

"Maybe I should try to look for jobs today again." She muttered to herself as she picked up the newspapers.

Just then, the doorbell rang, and Hayoung got up immediately, albeit out of curiosity. No one ever came to visit her - not even her friends, because most of them had moved overseas.

She opened the door, but saw no one at her doorstep.

That's weird.

A sudden, loud wailing cry caught Hayoung's attention, and she looked down, only to see a toddler wobbling unsteadily on her doorstep, crying his lungs out.

"Daesoo?!" 

She kneeled down and tried to soothe her nephew, "Daesoo, what are you doing here? Where's your mummy?" 

"Mummy...mummy doesn't want me anymore!" He sniffled. 

What?

Hayoung noticed a note stuck on her door, and pulled it off to read it.

Dear Hayoung,

I'm so sorry I had to do this. It's a long story, but the gist is that I met this amazing guy who gave me a new lease of life. I never told you about how Kwanghyun would abuse me, but that's for another time if I meet you again. I want to start afresh, by running away with this guy, and I'm sorry for being so irresponsible and leaving Daesoo with you. I'm sure you'll be a better mother for him than I will.

Love, Haeun.

Hayoung's hands trembled as she crushed the note in her fists. 

"How am I supposed to take care of Daesoo, KIM HAEUN?!?!" She shouted in her head, and had a strong urge to go and find her sister and strangle her to death.

"Aunt Hayoung? Do you not want me too?" Daesoo looked up at her with doe eyes, and her melted. 

"No, Daesoo. Aunt Hayoung loves you. Come on in." She sighed.

Kim Haeun, you are so going to get it from me when I find you.