You're Alive!

Welcome To the Family!

Sae Rin's POV

The skies are grey, clouds are materializing, drops of water are pounding on the pavement below me. And I'm drenched, since I don't have an umbrella with me.

I love it!

See, I'm one of the people that love the rain. It relaxes me as it thumps on my head. But that doesn't change the fact that people are staring at me like I'm a retard. The part where I don't have an umbrella is explainable. I didn't know it was going to rain and so didn't have an umbrella handy. Actually, that's exactly what happened.

But I'm just walking around casually, as if the sun is shining brightly above. Normal people would run for cover. And there are shops all around me. That's cover!

But it's not like it's pouring. If it were, I wouldn't be that stupid. I'd still run into a store. But it's not drizzling or raining tremendously hard, so it's fine. I liked to walk outside for a bit whenever it's slightly raining to get things off my mind. 

Then I bump into someone running out of a shop. Thus dropping my bag, and the contents come pouring out.

"Sorry!" I exclaim as I grab at my books. This is just great, now my sheet music is all wet!

The man scoops down with me and tries to get everything off the watery ground. "Don't apologize, I was the one that ran into you."

Well, true, but I have this habit of saying sorry even when it's not my fault.

He hands me the papers and books and I shove them in my bag. We finally stand up again and I finally see the guy's face.

Holy shizzle, it's Onew.

ONEW.

"You-SH-Lee-ONEW!" I babble. Well, so much for remaining cool. It's just that SHINee's my favorite group, and Onew here's their leader.

He doesn't say anything. Onew didn't laugh, didn't even respond at all. He just stands there with his mouth gaping open, as if I just murdered a kid. Which of course, I DIDN'T.

"Um, what's wrong?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"You're alive!" he finally responds as he reaches forward and wraps his arms around me.

DEAR LORD I'M HUGGING LEE JINKI.

Now there are people with cameras taking pictures of us.

WHAT THE?!?! How'd the paparazzi get to us so fast?! Did they fly out of a helicopter?! SNEAKY NINJAS!

Onew finally lets go with a grin appearing on his face.

"Onew! Is this your girlfriend?" one of them suggests.

"Why'd you hug her?" another asks.

I try to explain that it's not what it looks like, but Onew just completely ignores them. And by now, it's starting to pour.

REALLY???

What perfect timing.

"Sae Rin, I'm your brother!" he proclaims.

Say what now?

How'd he know my name? And why would he think I was his sister?

The paparazzi are deafening me now. They're screaming for Onew to tell them more. A few of them are even asking what my take on this is. But right now, it's my turn to stare at Onew like an idiot.

"Come on," he says, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and leading me through the crowd. But the floor's so slippery that he manages to shuffle in the water, almost falling over. I can't help but stifle a laugh, and hold on to him until he regains his balance. We enter the store he came out of and we briefly dry off.

"Onew? You're back already?" a man at the counter asks. "Aw, now you're getting my floor all wet!"

"Sorry, ahjussi!" he apologizes. "A little problem with the press."

"Ok, but don't come in here soaking again!"

"I know!" He turns back towards me.

"I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong person. And I thought you were an only child?" I state, wringing the water out of my hair.

"Don't be ridiculous, I got your name right, didn't I? Besides, I'd recognize your eyes anywhere. You still have the face you had 12 years ago!"

"What?" I ask.

"Well, you might not remember this, but you really are my sister. Whenever I said I didn't, I was just hiding the fact that the only sibling I had was gone."

"Gone?"

"See, when you were 6 and I was 10, we had a fire in the house. We escaped, but the fire department couldn't find you anywhere. We thought... we thought you were dead."

I remember now. I vaguely recall waking up to smoke, having the skin on my leg a little burned, then later escaping, and winding up on the sidewalk outside our house. I don't remember anything after getting out. I must've passed out, or started to wander around the street for help. But after that, I woke to face a young couple that was happy to take in a lost child.

"We were outside in the backyard, so you must've went out on the street and someone picked you up," Onew suggests.

I'm startled by how I hadn't remembered at all about my family. I believe him, but I just can't be sure. So pulling out my phone, I dial my aunt's number. I really don't want to hurt my adoptive parents, right now.

"Yoboseyo?" Aunt Hana says as she picks up the phone.

"Aunt Hana... is it true I'm adopted?"

Silence. She's probably shocked at how I figured it out, without any hints whatsoever. "Yes," she finally answers. "How'd you find out?"

"I met my brother," I respond.

"Well, tell him that we've taken really good care of you."

I smile. "Ok. And I might be home a little late today. It's really pouring right now."

"Alright. Don't get sick again!" she says with a cheerful voice, trying to hide that she's hurt a bit, I'm sure. We hang up, not wantig to talk more about my real family. 

By then, tears were running down my cheeks. So the family I knew and loved was lie? I know they really loved me, but they had no intention of telling me they weren't really my parents at all, and I'm already 18.

Onew reached out and dried away the water.

"I believe you," I say, pulling myself together. 

"How were your new parents?" he asks.

I've stopped sniffling and regained a happy voice. "Great! They really took good care of me."

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine! How are mother and father?"

"Pretty good. But, you know, I don't get to see them a lot, because of SHINee and all."

I nod.

"So, where do you live? Last we were together, we were in Gwangmyeong."

"Oh, my parents are still there. I'm staying here with my aunt to try and improve at piano. And I was hoping for Seoul to help me me make it to the big time."

"Really? Maybe I can help you! Taemin'll be glad to teach you a bit!"

...

Well... Taemin's my bias. And I'd love it if he'd help me get better. 

"I'd really love that!" I say, doing my best to keep my fangirling inside.

"And if you want, I could talk to the guys at SM to help you train and can promote you as a pianist and a singer. Wait, do you still sing? You had this amazing voice when you we were little. Besides, now that the press knows you're my sister, you'll get a lot of publicity."

...

"REALLY?!" I scream, not doing as good of a job at keeping in my emotions as I did last time.

"Um, sure!" he responds, a bit confused.

I honestly can't blame him.

"So, where are you staying? I'll take you home."

"Oh, well, it's a bit far from here, and it's still raining... could we stay here a while longer?"

"Hm, I really have to get back soon. Is it ok if you spend a little while there?"

"Sure, no problem!!!" I say, nodding like an idiot.

He just stands there, blinking at my fangirling.

"Ahjussi, do you have an umbrella?" Onew says, disregarding my weirdness.

This is the sister you oh so missed.

"Deh," the man answers. "Do you need to go out the back way?"

Onew nods.

He gestures us to follow him, and we do. Onew takes the umbrella out of the ahjussi's hands, politely thanking him, and we exit one of the doors.

"Hamsamnida!" I yell.

As the door closess, Onew and I find about a few dozen other photographers and journalists taking our picture.

Onew grabs my arm and yanks me from my spot to begin running. Of course, the guys follow us, but luckily, we finally find an ally and he once again yanks my arm into the "hideout."

We catch our breath as several reporters run pass us.

That thing in the movies really work?

Huh.

"Sorry about that," Onew says.

I wave my hand to signal that it's alright.

"Well, I think we're about safe now. The dorm isn't so far from here." He walks off and I follow. We spend the rest of the (short) walk talking about our hobbies, since talking about our new lives require a long amount of time, and we don't have that yet.

Soon we walk into a hotel and Onew explains to the man at the front to let me in their dorm whenever I visit. Then we make our way to the elevator and stop at the third to top floor. Onew walks around the halls for a while and finally stops at a room. I memorize the number as he opens the door.

"Everyone's still resting since we came back from training a while ago. I'll go wake everyone up!" he says.

"Uh, can I go to the bathroom for a while to clean up?" I ask. I squeeze my sides with my arms, water gushing down my body, to signal that I'm still really wet.

"Of course." Motioning me towards him, he leads me to a door in the hallway.

"It's in here."

"Thanks," I say.

Closing the door behind me, I enter the bathroom. First thing I do is take off my shoes. And as suspected, a bunch of water flows out, like a waterfall, into the sink.

I've been walking around in a shoe pool? (ok, so not my best joke)

Luckily we didn't step into any mud or anything, so the floor stays clean, but wet. Then I take off my jacket and wring it out again. My hands freeze when the door opens.

"Onew hyung?" a familiar voice calls out.

"What is it?" he answers.

"There's a crazed fan in our bathroom!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel like this chapter is a bit rushed...

Oh well.