Chapter 3

Do You Remember Me?

 

 

The sunlight hit directly on my face. I squinted my eyes for a second before allowing them to open fully.

"Yura?!"
 
I woke lying in a bed. Wearing nothing but thin paper. Was it paper?  I gazed across the room. Where am I? My body was as stif as a stick. Gosh, how long was I asleep? I felt a pair of eyes watching me. I turned to my left. There, sat a familiar face. An orange-red coloured hair boy, perfect pink lips... it looked as if he didn’t sleep for years.
 
I opened my mouth; I let my voice speak freely.
 
"You should sleep more."
 
The boy let out an awkward laugh. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on my shoulder. Being very gentile, as if I would shatter. I recognized this feeling. Why did I recognize this? I don't even know him! He leaned his head closer to mine. My eyes widened. *What is he doing?!* He brushed his lips against mine. I pushed him away, and backed myself.
 
"Yura, are you okay?"
 
"Yura?"
 
The boy’s tilted his head. He seemed confused, worried... those soft brows of his. They curved inwards. 
 
"Yura, stop playing around. Did you hit your head that hard?" He le out a soft chuckle and messed my hair.
 
I stayed silent. I didn’t know how to respond. I didn’t have an answer for him,
 
"I-I don't..."
 
"You don't remember me? Jae?" He lifted a brow.
 
"No."
 
He became serious. "Cut it out. Look at me."
 
He held me shoulders and pulled me forward until our faces were just inches apart.
 
I stared long at his eyes. They began to fill with water.
 
"I-I'm sorry."
 
They boy raged. He stood up and threw his chair. With one hand holding his forhead, he cursed and slammed the door behind him.
 
I sat on my bed. Silently. What was going on? Jae. That was the boy's name right? I saw the people walk in. They checked my body.  After waking up, my head felt like a mess. I could barely recall the scene that just happened.
 
"What happened to him?" Although I didn't know him, I was still curious, and worried.
 
"He's fine sweetie, just lie down and rest." Replied the lady.
 
She rested my head on a pillow and insisted that I slept. I lied down again. I didn't dare close my eyes. I knew that if I did, I'd go back to the darkness.
 
 
~
 
| Jae |
 
“Amnesia." Replied the doctor.
 
I stared down at the girl who once loved me. Who once knew me. I’ll do anything to bring you back Yura. I promise. I’ve never felt so weak, so useless. God, I hate myself. If only I got there in time.
 
"Aggghh."
 
I could’ve saved her.
 
I clutched my forehead in my hands. It wouldn't stop aching. I sighed and thought back to the day I found out.
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
"Mr. Kim Jae. I'm afraid the brain cancer is spreading. You've recently experienced an accident right?"
 
I gulped back. "Yes."
 
"It seemed to have gotten worse since then. Surgery is possible, but a case like yours has only been performed few times. It is very risky."
 
"What are the chances of living?"
 
"2/10."
 
" this." I twisted the door knob as another headache hit me. "Arr" I grinned my teeth and slammed the door.
 
"The clock is ticking. You only have a year left." 
 
I paused. Cursed, and staggered out the building.
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
~