Chapter 4

Do You Remember Me?

 

 
| Yura |
 
The doctors and nurses helped me walk again. They said my brain was damaged badly, it may never go back to the way it was before. I don’t even remember what happened that night. No one would tell me. But I do know, that Jae was there. It was dark though. 8pm? I tried to think. I thanked hard. 
 
~
 
It was morning. I slowly sipped on my corn soup. The nurse said I needed energy. 
 
I watched as the door handle turned. A tall figure stepped into the room.
 
“Yura, it’s me Jae.”
 
He gently closed the door behind him and pulled up a stool beside my bed. I looked into his deep sorrow eyes. I knew he wasn’t like this before. 
 
“Here, let me help with that.”
 
I glanced down at my spoon. The soup was dripping off onto the table.
 
Jae grabbed a towel and wiped it away. He held out my spoon and blew on the soup. I stared at him. Not knowing what to do.
 
“Well don’t let it get cold.” He smiled.
 
There was a warm feeling in the atmosphere. I leaned in and sipped the soup. He fed me until the whole bowl was empty.
 
“I have to go now. School starts soon, but here.”
 
He dug through his backpack and pulled out a scrap book. I recognized my own hand writing.
 
I could only gasp at what I saw. Flipping through the pages. I saw our memories together.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I must’ve loved him a lot. I had the urge to cry. Seeing my past from a different window, it was almost hard to believe. I was actually like this? There was a long pause before one of us finally spoke out.
 
"Do.. you remember anything?" Jae asked with a curious face.
 
“No... I’m so sorry.”
 
I hugged Jae, and cried on his chest. The familiar softness of his jacket and his scent covered my face. He my hair.
 
“Shh. It’s not your fault.” He whispered.
 
I flashed back.
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
December 12 – My Birthday.
 
It was bitterly cold out. I walked home alone. Jae had basketball practice after school. I waited at the bus stop. The bus seemed to never come. I rubbed my mittens together and puffed my cheeks.
 
From behind, two arms suddenly wrapped around my waist. I nearly lost balance but strong arms helped me regain my feet.
 
“Happy birthday.” I knew that voice too well.
 
I blushed. 
 
“Jae…”  He turned me around and placed a soft kiss on my lips. I loved his hugs. Especially in the winter, when it’s cold out, Jae’s presence always made me feel better. 
 
“I’m sorry I kept you waiting. I’ll make it up to you. Race you to the Coffee shop?” He grinned.
 
“Oh you’re on.” 
 
We laughed and threw snow at each other along the way. It was so perfect. I wished I could stay there forever. 
 
“Yah! Help me up!” Jae slipped and fell in the snow. I couldn’t help but laugh at how funny he looked.
I ran over and gave him my hand. Unexpectedly, he pulled me down with him and I landed right on top of him.
 
“Jae…” My cheeks were already pink from the cold, but I could feel them burning up.
 
The moment felt so right. I leaned down and kissed him. 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
 
“Yura?!”
 
Jae was already shaking me before I got a hold of reality.
 
“What happened? You blanked out.” He pressed his chin on my forehead. 
 
“Jae. I love you.” I was taken aback by my own words. I didn’t say it consciously. Those words came from my heart.
 
He was surprised at my words too. 
 
“I love you too. It’s going to be okay. I’ll always be there for you.”
 
Where have I Heard those words before? “I’ll always be there for you.”
 
~