The Beginning

He Was There

Kyung POV


-----------------------------------


I saw her from the other side of the bar. She was gorgeous. I knew before I left that night I would at least have her phone number. Hopefully, if things worked in my favor, she would be leaving with me that night. She looked to be around the same age as myself. That’s great, I would assume she’d be down for a one night fling as well. Plus, she was american, I later learned, they love no string attached physical intimacy, don’t they?

I could hardly hold myself back. I wanted to approach her slowly. It took all I have not to speed over to her. I had to take my time if I wanted to appear as cool as I wanted her to think I was - as cool as I already believed I was. I decided would break the ice by sending her a drink. I sent her something sweet - signifying I’m a sweet kind of guy. It seems so logical at the time. Girls love sweet fruit drinks. So how could I possibly go wrong with that decision.

It seemed to have taken forever for the bartender to finally deliver her surprise to her. When he finally did, I could tell she questioned where it had come from. It looked like a mixture of flattery and a tad bit of annoyance on her face, I ignored the annoyance portion. The bartender pointed over to me, right when I was sipping my own drink. I lifted my hand in a small waved and smiled with my eyes since my glass was block my mouth from forming a real smirk. She now knew I was the gift giver. If I wanted to seem like a craved teenager, I would have ran over the second he gaze fell upon me. I was still thinking in the sense that she was not my noona by half a decade. I wanted a guarantee she’d be melting and swooning from how suave I was. I waited about 30 minutes before I finally approached her. I didn’t know those would be the last thirty minutes of my life before I’d slowly lose my sanity to the love that I didn’t know was beginning to swell inside. I never knew I could feel such a twinge or emotion outside of my jeans region. Soon it would be churning my stomach followed by a flutter in my chest. I’m starting to get ahead of myself here though.

From your point of view, I still have even met Kim Darin. I hadn’t heard her sweet, low voice that I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep without hearing or imagining from a text. I haven’t been close enough to her to lose myself in those blue eyes that resemble the depths of the ocean - the eyes that made me want to delve deeper in find the mysteries no one else knew about. I had yet to have any contact with her soft, pale skin that sent electricity though every nerve ending in my body with a simple brushing of our hands. No, to you, she’s still the girl who I thought was  dumb 19-year-old who I thought I could and run.

As I began walking up to her, she looked over and saw me. She gave me a small smile. She seemed shy. I would know later she wasn’t shy at all. The smile she gave me was more like a ‘Oh God, he’s really going to try this.lul’ type of smile. She knew what was about to come her way. She told me she knew my whole plan by the time the bartender sat the glass right in front of her. She said I wasn’t the first guy to try that on her. She had planned to just humor me that night and go about her life after she left. She planned to leave it at that. I’m glad she derived from her original plan. If she had stuck with it, where would I be now? Still chasing and not ever knowing this feeling more than like. It was only a few months ago since she had entered my world. It feels like so much more time as passed. Not it a bad way, but it a way I can’t even explain. It doesn’t feel like I’ve only had her for a twentieth fraction of my life. I can hardly think of how my time was spent before her. I opened my mouth to speak. I could not ramble. I had to speak minimally to pull her in.

“안녕하세요/Annyeonghaseyo” I smiled with that smile that made girls cream. I had no doubt in my mind where  this would all be going.

“안녕/annyeong” she looked at me but hardly smiled back. I didn’t notice, I just took her lack of formality as her letting me know it was a go. It would make things easier. We’re just talking to each other like we’re one on one on the same level. That’s not actually what she was thinking. Someone how she just knew I was younger. She could apparently see right through me that whole time.

“I’m Park Kyung. What’s your name?”

“Kim Darin.” That was the moment I think the twinge first hit. I didn’t know what it was at that point. I just knew I needed her that night. I wasn’t going to let her get away.

“You’re here by yourself?” I took it upon myself to sit down beside her. She looked at the chair like someone was already there. “Is someone sitting here?” she shook her head and I proceeded to sit. She mumbled something to herself in what sounded like English.

“You’re trying to hit on me right?” She asked blatantly. I wasn’t quick enough with a response. I couldn’t think of anything witty. “I’ll give you a shot. But the next girl you try your moves on. Don’t send her this nasty drink. You’re just lucky I thought you were cute.” She pushed the glass away signaling the barkeep she didn’t need it anymore. This girl suddenly did not feel like such an easy target. “And yes, I am here alone. Sometimes I like to go out into large crowds alone. It makes it easier to drown out thoughts” She smiled happily at such a strange statement.

We ended up moving from the bar into a corner that was further from the noise. I can’t remember exactly everything we talked about. It all blended together and stem from one thought to another. She had moved to Korea from America for school. She was completed by then. That’s how I found out she was older than me. People typically leave once they complete school and they’re not native here. She said something kept her here when she completed her program. She didn’t go into details and I didn’t want to pry and scare her away.

We spent hours talking. I said I had planned on leaving that night with her. It was time to find out if I spoke the truth when the house lights began to turn out. It was already this late? Time to make my move I guess. She and I both got up and headed out. I held the door open for her and step to the side once we got out. Fresh air. I took a deep breathe.

“Well you said you’d give me a try. Did I pass? Is there a chance we keep going tonight?” I smirked. She was about to say something but then looked down at her phone. It was ringing. She held up her finger to signify she needed a moment. She turned away from me I guess trying to make the conversation more private but I heard everything. She seemed exasperated. She was happy when she first picked up but then she became aggravated. I only heard half the conversation. I didn’t understand it at that point. Now I completely comprehend the whole conversation. I wish I could just go back and tell myself. Then I could tell myself to just stay away and I wouldn’t have any of these complications now. Now I’m just waiting. I’m waiting and I don’t know for what I’m waiting.

She was speaking low at first. Her voice got louder as she became more frustrated. She wasn’t yelling, but it wasn’t exactly a happy tone.

“Annyeong Jong.” Her eyes lit up. I felt jealous. Was this a boyfriend? “When are you coming back? Another four months? And let me guess there’s no way around. Again. It’s whatever. I guess I’ve dealt with it this long. I... I’ll talk to you later. Annyeonghi”

I didn’t think anyone would talk to anyone they were dating like that. She looked back at me. I wasn’t going to ask. I had only known her for about four hours by this point. It wasn’t my place or my business.

“Look Kyung. I’ll be honest with you. I didn’t come out tonight for a hook-up. I didn’t even expect to talk to you for this long. I’m not looking to sleep with you or anyone. I am however looking for a friend. I know no guy wants to get that ‘let’s be friends talk’. However, I am new to this area due to circumstances. Due to those circumstance, I have about four months to kill. So, if you will, I’d like it if we could hang out and be friends.” She smiled sweetly at me. She wasn’t looking for what I was though. Then again I intended for only a one time thing. I think I’d rather have her as a friend instead of someone I’d never see again. I could also take the opportunity to the next level.

“Well if we’re being honest. I was totally just looking to get laid tonight. But that left my mind hours ago” It only just left it a few seconds ago. “You weren’t all at what I’d expected. If you’re looking for a friend, I would not mind being that friend. What brought you and is keeping you here?” She rolled her eyes and sighed.

“It’s not something I want to get into at the moment. Just know that I’m here. I have no one to hang out with and I have four months to burn. I don’t have a job and I don’t plan on getting one. So that’s a lot of time to burn. I wouldn’t mind burning it with you. You’re a very sweet guy once you get past wanting to take my clothes off.” She grabbed my phone from my hand. She dialed her phone number into and added herself as ‘that girl I wanna bang’. I smirked at it. It was true. I wouldn’t let her know that yet. “Now I expect a phone call within the next few days or else I might have to come back out and find another young guy who wants to do me and make him be my best friend for the next four months. Okay?”

“I’ll call you. You won’t have to worry about that at all.” I smiled. I didn’t know what to do at this point. I wondered do I offer a handshake or do I just walk away. I wasn’t sure then she opened her arms for a hug. I let her embrace me. My face ended up bedded in her hair. I won’t forget that scent. She always tells me what it is, but I can’t remember what it’s called. I just know it as Darin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darin’s POV


I was bored out of my mind. I was forced to move here and then I was pretty much abandoned her. I was used to being by myself. The problem was, I was being left to myself more and more often for much longer amounts of time. I need someone to spend time with. I thought I was going to have to meet strangers on-line until I met Kyung.

It was probably mean to offer friendship when I knew what he wanted. I probably shouldn’t have treated him how I had. I probably should have been honest with him upfront. I just never knew when to drop that bomb. Anytime felt awkward and out of place. I should have told him before the first time his lips grazed mine so lightly, almost afraid to make contact. Maybe... Maybe it should have been my opening line. Well, I can’t go back in time and change it now. Not unless the Doctor shows up, but I doubt very much he will.

I didn’t honestly expect him to actually call me in the first place. I never thought he would actually go with that. He was a teenger looking to get some action one night and he ended talking to me. Someone not looking for action. Someone looking for a friend to spend time with. But he did call. He called me the next day.

I was laying in bed awaiting a call from Jong Woon. He always called whenever he could. Sometimes the calls were very close to each other, sometimes I had wait longer in between. The longest I had ever gone without talking to him or hearing his voice was a week. Even in that week, he texted me constantly. Even if it was a quick ‘hey’ or ‘how are you’ he still managed. It wasn’t Jong though. My phone rang. I didn’t recognize the number. I knew all the number Jong would call from. I answered it questionably, like I said I didn’t expect Kyung to actually call.

“What’s up, Noona?” Kyung.

“Annyeong. Kyung. You actually called me” I smiled to myself. He seems like a very sweet boy. I just had hoped he didn’t think he would get anywhere past friendship with me. I should have told him he didn’t stand a chance. Then he never would have tried. But I didn’t tell him that. I made so many advances to him. I didn’t do it intentionally. I did it subconsciously probably. After hanging out with him so many times it just kind of happened. He would show me attention and I was craving it at that point. I wanted him to touch me so bad, but I couldn’t let him. I couldn’t feel his warmth on my skin. I couldn’t feel any human contact. I couldn’t even hold his or anyone’s hand. I had to wait.

“Yeah, you said you wanted a friend. I’ll fulfill that service gladly. You said you’re new in town right? How new?” I sat up. I had only been here for about 2 weeks. Jong and I just moved here. It’s where he always wanted to live. I just wanted to be where he was. I never got to be where he was. Because of his job. I couldn’t be mad at Jong’s career. He had it before I ever came around. I just had to it up and deal with it. That was all I could do.

“I pretty much JUST moved here. I couldn’t tell you where anything is.”

“Where do you live? I can come pick you up and we can go get something to eat.” I didn’t want him coming here.

“You don’t have to do that. Just tell me where to meet you or I can meet you at your place. I need to drive around and become more acquainted with my surrounding. You can’t take that from.” I felt nervous for something reason. I started messing with a loose string that was frayed from my bedding. From my bedding I shared with Jong. That’s why I didn’t want Kyung here. I didn’t mention Jong because I didn’t feel like I need to mention him. Kyung was no threat. Kyung was going to be my friend. I was bound and determined. I wasn’t scared of anything more. At least, that’s what I kept telling myself.

He gave me his address. I was so excited. I had a chance to get dressed and go off. I could get pretty. For myself, of course. I tried not to think too much about what I was going to wear. I didn’t want to get Kyung the wrong idea. I just kind of threw something on. I was just so excited to get actually go out. I didn’t have a lot of friends. Never really got a chance to develop relationships. Anyone I did, once they found certain things, they didn’t really like me afterwards. Jealousy. I missed my friends back in America. I was happy in Korea though. It Jong was enough to keep here - Why wouldn’t I be happy? I never asked myself that question until I had been hanging out with Kyung for a few weeks. I did got a little overboard on my make, not like I looked trashy or anything. I just may have made myself up too much. I loved make-up I couldn’t help it. Make-up isn’t an open invitation for boys to come and get it. I ended up just tossing my hair up in a sloppy bun to go along with it. My hair needed to be re-dyed because I always kept it bright red. I hadn’t had it touched up in a month just because I felt no need to do so.

I finally my way towards Kyungs door. It took me  longer than he quoted it would. I made a few wrong turns since GPSs are so slow to be in real time most of the time. I knocked softly. I think part of me didn’t want him to hear me knocking. I should have taken an opportunity to walk away from this. I could look back and find so many times to be honest with him. I could find so many chances to walk away and not hurt him. Not hurt anyone. I didn’t. I was being selfish. I just wanted to hang out with someone. I chose a boy 5 years younger than me who clearly had a crush on me. I thought I was more mature than that, I guess I wasn’t. I was about to rummage through my messenger bag to find my phone to call him and make sure I was at the right place. The door opened and I looked up from my bag. It was not Kyung.

“Joesonghamnida I think I have the wrong place...” I said bowing to apologize.

“Are you looking for Kyung?” I looked up while still bowing and then my body straightened. I nodded my head. “You can come in. He’s in his bedroom. He’s getting ready like a girl.” I walked in when Kyung walked out of a doorframe. A doorframe I would unfortunately know.

“Dude, that’s not funny. Hey Darin. I’ve been ready. It took me like 5 minutes to get ready.” I smiled at him getting flustered with the stranger I had yet to be introduced to. “This is one of my roommates, Zico. he’s just poking fun because... I’ll tell you later.” Kyung walked back into the room he has previously exited and came back out with a coat on. As he entered into the room, another boy came in from the kitchen. It was another taller boy. Kyung looked so short compared to these guys. “This is the other one, Jaehyo.”

“Hi, nice to meet you guys. So what are we doing?” I asked just standing the entrance still. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself. I hadn’t been told to sit anywhere, I didn’t know what much else to do.

“Well I’m assuming you didn’t eat on your way over or you could have because it took you a really long time to get here.” Kyung moved over to the sofa and sat down to put on his shoes. He pointed to an arm chair and told me I could sit if I wanted. I took him up on the offer. I sat down and crossed my legs.

“No, I just took the scenic route. Even though I’ve been living here for 4 years now, I still have troubling reading signs sometimes.” I noticed the two other guys shoot some looks at Kyung and each other. It was because Kyung had told them about the age difference. They applauded him about it he later told me. I personally didn’t see the big deal. But I guess that’s just how they are.

We ended up sitting at the apartment for a little longer getting to know one each other. I always got to know Zico and Jaehyo. They were very nice but they always rag on Kyung and me hanging out. It doesn’t really matter though.

I think I could classify that as our first date though. We pretty much did what couples would do. Maybe it wasn’t. He kept trying to pay for things, I wouldn’t let him. That would have crossed the line early. Too early. The line ended up being crossed anyway. We went to a movie. We went to eat. He even took me to a putt putt place filled with little kids, but I had so much fun. It had been awhile since I was actually taken out, regardless of if I paid for it or not. I hadn’t hung out with another person in so long. Not even Jong. I was kind of sad when we ended up going back to his apartment. It was getting later and I needed to get my car and head home. I went back up to the guys apartment to hang out a little bit longer. It didn’t take long for me to feel comfortable with them. Zico and Jaehyo didn’t stay up as late as Kyung and I did though. I didn’t have to check my clock when I spent that time with Kyung. That’s how it was for the longest. I liked to not be driven my time. I didn’t feel that urgency with Kyung. It wasn’t until I started to hear birds that I realized it was time to go. I looked at the clock on my cell phone to verfy how early it was.

“Holy... Dude Kyung, I’ve got to get going. I need sleep. Apparently, I’m really tired. I have like a 25 minute drive home.” I lived in the equivalent of the Korean Boonies. Don’t ask.

“You can stay here.” His face was serious.

“Kyung, what did I tell you. Friendship. We’ve known each other for like a little over 24 hours. I don’t think I can spend the night yet.” I laughed.

“No, I’m serious. You can sleep in my bed. You shouldn’t have to drive that far if you’re tired. I didn’t realize how early it was either. Didn’t we do this last night? Talk about something changed for us to notice how long we’d been doing it.” He smirked and glanced down, as if he were shy, and then looked back up at me. “Anyways, Jaehyo has to get up in like ten minutes. I’ll just sleep in his bed, you can sleep in my bed. I mean, do you have a roommate that will call the authorities if you don’t show up?” I shook my head.

“Do you have an animal you need to take care of?” I shook my head again.

“Anything?” I shook my head again. I had nothing I had to get home to. No one I had to get home to either.

“Okay, I appreciate the offer.” I smiled and stood for him to show me where to go. He ended up giving me some sweat pants and tee shirt to sleep in.

“However, you saying friendship did totally crush what I had planned to do.” We were in his bedroom now and he leaned again his dresser drawer and crossed his arms.

“What did you plan to do?” I was curious. Whatever it was wouldn’t have worked, but I still wanted to know.

“Doesn’t matter now.” He smiled and headed out the bedroom. I really wanted to know. It wouldn’t have worked so early in our relationship. We were still within the first 48 hours of knowing each other. It didn’t feel like such a short time. It felt much longer than that. I didn’t want to leave that apartment. I wanted to spend the next four months there. I had people to talk to for the first time in a long time. Three different people. I’d probably spend most of the time talk to Kyung, but Zico and Jaehyo were nice too. I changed my clothes and crawled into the bed. This bed smelled like it was lived in. It was smell I didn’t mind infiltrating my nasal passage. My house wasn’t a home. It was a house with one bedroom filled up with a bed. I was waiting for the rest of the furniture. Jong wanted to wait and get new furniture for the house. It would be four months at least until it started having any feel of a home to it. I didn’t have much time to think about anything other than all of that. My body was more tired than I realized that. Kyung was like a stimulant. He just kept me up. He could have kept me up straight for the next few months we would spend together and I wouldn’t have cared.