Fast Forward

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

I closed my eyes and focused on the cold droplets of water that fell on my body and slid down. I ignored the pain inside my heart and the detection of hot streams of tears coming from my eyes. Instead, I tried to bury it deep inside, but it was difficult. Water mixed with spots of dirt on my body and I changed my focus to the dirty water that got clearer every passing minute. If only it was that easy to wash pain away. I washed myself all the while holding myself together until a quiet sob escaped me.

“I can’t watch the woman I love marry another man… Even if it’s not permanent I can’t stand knowing you’ll be with someone else”

I felt the little control I had escape me. For what must’ve been the tenth time I replayed his face as I told him what was happening. Why had I even called him out earlier today? I was stupid; I should have put it off for longer!

“It doesn’t work that way! I can’t wait, it’s better if we end things now. It’ll be harder later. I love you Hyerim, but… I just can’t”

Just like that, all the time we spent together was gone. It had disappeared in a puff so now why was I still doing this? I knew the answer before the question had even formed in my mind. Because some part of me had hope that after this was over I could get Daehyun back without any problems from my mom and I would be able to just be happy.

Happiness. I wanted to be happy. I needed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked in the mirror one last time and practiced a smile. It looked a little too forced, but it was the best I could do I decided grumpily and to the dining room hoping that maybe Kai and his family had left.

“Hyerim! Come sit! What happened earlier?” My mother called out in her fake caring tone and immediately both my fake smile and a deep sense of disgust came out.

“Oh, I’m sorry I went for a run earlier today and had really bad fall. Kai was just offering to help me up and I reacted badly, I was just a little emotional” I lied taking the seat she offered between herself and Kai.

I refused to look at him.

“How curious… honey you’re not lying right? Because Kai told us he surprised you and made you fall on the stairs and that you were understandably angry” She said lightly as maids came in and brought our food.

Great, the one time I was too tired to be anything, but nice he decides to finally open his mouth and speak and make me look like a liar.

“I did fall on the stairs, but that was the second time” I said calmly finally turning my head to look at him, “Sorry for being so overemotional” I said, sure that the fact that I didn’t mean a word of it was plain.

“I’m sorry too” He said curtly and turned to look at his plate once again.

“Ah… Anyways, Hyerim we’ve been discussing this with your mom quite a bit lately and we thought it might be beneficial to have you come live with us until the day of the wedding. To get to know you better” His mom said kindly, a soft smile on her face that did nothing to soften the blow.

“What?” Kai’s voice cut through, angry and cold. Like usual when it came to topics involving me.

“Not that that’s not a… good idea, but is it uh… efficient to have me living with you guys for months until a wedding for which there isn’t even a date for?” I asked trying to keep myself calm.

“Not months darling and the date has been decided. It’s a bit rushed, but we figured the sooner the better!” My mother called out cheerily and I heard the sounds of silverware clattering down beside me.

“… How rushed?” I asked faintly, that previous feeling that I could do this suddenly disappearing.

“Hm… let’s see what with announcing your engagement this week and getting everything ready in overtime as of today 3 weeks” She announced, content with herself.

They talked more, deciding on small details that I stopped listening. I looked at Kai who was frozen in place, his head bent down and solemnly staring at his plate. They ate, ignoring our clear distress and he finally looked up long enough to catch my eyes. We stared at each other for a while, knowing that this was the person we were going to be chained to in a mere 3 weeks. He looked worn down suddenly and I felt it.

“Excuse me” He muttered as he pulled back and walked out.

I looked to his parents whose eyes reflected a deep sense of guilt as they saw him walk away and then my mother, who merely looked intrigued. At least, they felt truly bad for doing this to their son.

“I’ll be right back” I announced as I placed my napkin on the table and stood up.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I'm having trouble... deciding on chapter lengths so I figured I might as well ask for any opinions? ^^ Besides that I'll be posting the next chapter tonight too I seem to like to write in twos so yay! ^^