The Truth Will Set You Free

Can't You Realize That I Love You?

 

I walked into the small office his secretary had led me to and I took a seat in a chair across from his desk. I looked around quietly as I waited for him to come in. The door finally creaked open and I stood up politely as a stout middle aged man walked in. I instantly recognized him as I got a look at the friendly look in his eyes and the deep laugh lines on his face.

"Park Hyerim! Why, it's been so long. I still remember all those times your father used to bring you to the office with him. I have to tell you we all got used to seeing the top of your head running around the office back then!" He said with a bright smile as he took a seat.

I stared at him for a second as memories flashed past. I remembered that as well. On those days, my dad used to sneak me out from school and I'd grab my pink bag and pretend it was a suitcase just like his. I would grab coloring books and paper and crayons to prepare for my big days at work with my dad. Seeing such a huge reminder of him overwhelmed me with a crushing type of longing. I knew if he was still alive... he would've by my side, he would have never allowed her to do this.

"I'm sorry to call so suddenly. I didn't know anyone else who could really help me" I said quietly, biting my lip to keep me from losing the frail control I had over my emotions.

"Is it something really so serious? You don't look well Hyerim" He said worriedly, a crease forming on his forehead.

"...I don't really know where to begin... I guess, you must've heard I had gotten married right?" I asked, immediately shocked at the look of utter outrage that came on his face.

"I'm sorry, but that woman is something else. Making you marry so young?! Like none of us knew it was an arranged marriage. Let me tell you, no one wanted that to happen. No one supported her. Your father would have rather gone broke than let her do that" He explained angrily.

"I doubt she cares about anyone else...  but I'm here because when I got married I signed some paper that gave her the rights to manage the shares that I gained when I married my husband. She used those shares to take their company and I need to get it back for them immediately. My husband.... he probably hates me and I want to make this right. If we get divorced it's finalized, but there's got to be something we can do right?" I asked nervously.

He sat and looked through some files on his computer.

"Your mother used your family's personal account to finance this deal of hers. We can try pulling out your inheritance from your father and seeing if the sudden loss of funds would be enough to make her essentially give up your husband's company. If she doesn't have the funds to keep it she has to give it up. Clearly the shareholders don't want her using company money for it otherwise she would have done so to begin with. It's not definite, but this could work" He said seriously as he clicked through more files.

"My father didn't leave me anything. He left  it all in my mother's care so that she could manage the accounts and take care of me" I explained hopelessly.

"Who told you that?" He asked suddenly.

"My mother, she told me that when my dad died. It makes sense"

"Hyerim, I was there when your father finalized his will. He was my best friend and I knew for a fact he left everything in your name. He didn't trust your mother, he didn't leave her anything" He explained quietly.

"That's impossible. She... she said.. oh god...." I gripped my hands to keep them from shaking, "How could she even get away with that?"

"It would've been easy for her, your father died when you were so young at that time she had an excuse to manage all your accounts. She has all that money and people within her own company trust her. I assume all she had to do was establish things when you were young and eventually people just stopped asking questions" He said and I could hear the hint of pity in his voice.

"What do I need to do?"

"You need to get that will. The original document of your father's will and then anything pertaining to this deal. That will be hard though—"

"I can do it" I said as I stood up and bowed in thanks, "I'll get everything I can and I'll fix this"

"Hyerim... this is your mother if you don't feel comfortable doing this we can try finding another way" He said kindly.

"You don't understand. I want to do this and then break off all ties between me and her. I want to live freely and I'll be able to after I do this. Thank you so much. I'll call you as soon as I have everything" I said with a smile.

"Be careful Hyerim" He said and I nodded as I ran out.

I was glad for the fresh and cold air as soon as I hit the street. I laughed a little at the ridiculousness of it all. She would have never said a word to me. Here I thought my father must've trusted her in some sense, but in reality... he knew what type of woman she was from the beginning. When I got home all the lights were off. I didn't really expect anything different. He didn't want to see me. That was alright. It was understandable so I wouldn't get mad or despair. I had things to do.

I was barely inside for a few minutes before I grabbed my car key and went back out. I took out my cell phone as I got into the car and the ignition as I waited for him to pick up.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I pulled out of my driveway and sped off.

"Watching TV. What's up?"

"Come outside. I'll be at your house in 5 minutes okay?"

"See you then" Daehyun said as he hung up quickly and I raced to his house.

I barely had to wait as he walked out and slipped comfortably into my car.

"Where are we going?" He asked as he buckled in.

"To the cemetery. I want you to meet someone" I whispered.

We drove in silence. Daehyun had known me long enough to let me get to things on my own. We pulled into the large cemetery. It was pitch black and I reached to the backseat and grabbed the flowers and flashlight I had brought along. I knew I wouldn't need the light, but just in case I figured it was a good idea.

Daehyun followed along quietly besides me as I shone the light on the path in front of us until I finally saw it. I stepped up to the gravesite I hadn't been to in far too long and quietly got on my knees. I heard the leaves crunch besides me as Daehyun too knelt down.

"Dad... it's been so long I'm sorry" I said quietly as I placed the roses in front. "Daehyun, this is my dad. Did you know... how much he loved me?" I asked in a shaky voice.

Daehyun didn't say a word.

"Even in the end he only thought about me. I didn't know though. I resented him for leaving me in her hands. For not even offering me a way out, but in the end he had done that too"

"Of course he loved you. You were his daughter" He said quietly.

"My mom is taking everything from me Daehyun. I know I shouldn't have called you out here, but I needed someone and you were the only person who I could think of. Isn't that sad?" I whispered as I ran a hand on the ground in front of me.

"Did she do something to Kai?" He asked.

"Dad, I brought here my best friend. You've never met him and I didn't think that was right. He's also my first love... you would have liked him dad. He's everything you wanted for me, but it didn't work out in the end. Dad I love him so much I don't want to lose him. I would like for him to understand—"

"Hyerim..." Daehyun said gently besides me.

"Dad I want him to stay by my side as my best friend" I whispered staring at the ground, "I want him to forgive me for being such a horrible woman to him and—"

"Stop it Hyerim. I do forgive you. I am your best friend and even though I love you in a way that you don't... that doesn't change anything" He said confidently, "Now what's wrong?"

"Can you help me? My mom... made it so that I would never be happy with Kai, but I love him so much and I don't think I could handle giving up someone I loved twice. So I'm going to finally end things"

"I'm not going to lie. I feel a little ripped off. Where was this courage before? But... I'm happy for you Hyerim. After what happened that night we were taken. I swore to myself that if you loved Kai I would let you go peacefully, because you're my best friend too. Maybe that's all we were ever meant to be" He said calmly with a small smile.

"Are you really alright with this?" I asked curiously.

"Sir, it was nice to meet you, she'll be back soon, but I've got to help her out right now so we should get going. I'll take care of your daughter well. No matter what. Also, don't blame me if when she brings her husband around you don't like him. He came off as a cocky bastard to me too" Daehyun said with a laugh and I couldn't help, but join in.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Will post the next chapte in a few hours! Don't worry it's all written out, I'm just using it as incentive to make myself finish another hw assignment before I can post it up xD 

My update is my own hostage to get work done lol