Accents and Lisps In Words

A Guideline To Storywriting









It's getting irritating to read, guys.









Another thing, do note that if you're going to set a story in god damn China, us damn Chinese will not understand what the is 'hyung'. If I'm a Chinese transfer student from China with no understanding of the Korean language, I'm not going to be able to speak with a native Korean under the discussion of how ed up N. Korea's diplomatic policies/ties with S.Korea are. 

It's probably going to be something like this:

 

"Hi."

"Hi."

"So lakjdlaksjdlajdslkdja my name is akjsjdilajdaslkdjalskdjaskjdlaskjdalsdjsaljdoiqwrud"

"Ah." 

 

and I will stay rooted to the ground till someone saves me from further embarrassment. 


then again, I'm just saying, but if you're trying to mimic an accent in words, for an example, Kai speaks with a French accent.

"I think ze footd is warm enough." 

Don't you dare write this. 

I will hunt you down and smash your computer into pieces.



In another way to help you with this, you can very well say:

'"I think the food is warm enough," Jongin says, a slight french accent still clinging onto his pronunciation.'



This works for the lisp problem too, for an example:

'"I don't see how this is going to help us, Jongin." Sehun said while he flushed, fully knowing that his lisp still haunted him every time he was nervous.'

 

The next thing I'll like to talk about would be on Southern accents. There's always (at least) one in every country, you can't deny. What happens is that when you're trying to describe an accent in another language whilst still typing in English, you can easily just replace it with the American Southern accent. For one, Japan has the Tokyo accent (aka standard Japanese - 'Watashi wa'), Kansai accent (Kyoto-Osaka Japanese - 'Wai wa') and the Okinawan language (which normal Japanese people who do not speak the language, will not understand.)

Now, most stories don't include the Okinawan, so we're safe here. Wherein the Kansai accent in Japan is basically the equivalent of the Southern accent in America, you can directly use the latter to differentiate the two ways of speech. What you do not do, is to add in weird American slangs halfway through because even though Japan is very much influenced by their western counterpart, they will not understand what the hell is skedaddle

 

That's all. Now kids, it's not as though you can't add in the cute little fancy stuff when it comes to lipth, but make sure not to go overboard or your story will thuck xoxo