Paragraphing (Basic + Dialogues) & Descriptive Paraphrasing

A Guideline To Storywriting

 

 

Hello! This chapter will teach you more on paragraphing and descriptive paraphrasing. I apologize if my words start going wayward halfway through, it's been a long and harsh day today. Internet got cut off and ended up having to set my phone's 3g as a wifi hotspot to post this. 

 

 

-Paragraphing (Basic)

 

Fairly simple topic, but often ignored.

In poetry, it is called stanza instead of paragraphs… Not that it really matters.

I really do not understand authors who tend to write extremely (maybe I'm just exaggerating) long paragraphs. This is not how things work.

 

 

 

 

 

'In all fairness, Kyungsoo decides that he was probably lying if he'd said he wasn't glad. Glad that freakin' Kim Jongin had wanted to get in his pants. He could write a thousand words telling the entire world how happy he was, because, well — it's Kim in' Jongin! So what if he doesn't question why it's him, out of everyone else. Kyungsoo hadn't bother to continue asking once the words 'wanna' and 'hook-up' came up in the same sentence. I mean, not that he puts out on a daily basis (break the bank if you want some Kyungsoo ), but things run a little differently when it came to Jongin. Either way, Do Kyungsoo was getting the deal and he wasn't about to let anyone spoil it. He was so going to let Kim Jongin into his pants anytime the latter wants — oh god is this even reality? Sweet baby Jesus if it isn't then damn it, let him wake up now in case he wasn't in the privacy of his own room. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through his hair, unsure if the sweat was just due to the sun, or just the nervousity. School was ending in twenty minutes and in another thirty, he's going to be in such close proximity with Kim Jongin. Was he… Was he hyperventilating nowN-No!' 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's a solid 204 words in a paragraph. Give or take a few. I have read such well-written stories, but their paragraphing put me off so badly. 

I'm actually someone who has a rather short attention span, and especially when you're going to be adding in character thoughts. I'm sorry, but it's just difficult for me to continue reading in one-shot. I will start skimming through or blank out the entire time reading, so by the time I'm finished with the chapter I would end up having to go back paragraphs. From bottom and I'll work my way up.

 

It sounds really silly, doesn't it? It does happen, though.

 

To be honest, long paragraphs only work when it comes to formal writing. Not exactly the best choice for comedy and thoughts (especially sadness, where breaks and punctuations are the most important things). 

 

 

 

'In all fairness, Kyungsoo decides that he was probably lying if he'd said he wasn't glad. 

 

Glad that freakin' Kim Jongin had wanted to get in his pants. 

 

He could write a thousand words telling the entire world how happy he was, because, well — it's Kim in' Jongin! So what if he doesn't question why it's him, out of everyone else. Kyungsoo hadn't bothered to continue asking once the words 'wanna' and 'hook-up' came up in the same sentence. I mean, not that he puts out on a daily basis (break the bank if you want some Kyungsoo ), but things run a little differently when it came to Jongin. 

 

Either way, Do Kyungsoo was getting the deal and he wasn't about to let anyone spoil it. He was so going to let Kim Jongin into his pants anytime the latter wants — oh god is this even reality? Sweet baby Jesus if it isn't then damn it, let him wake up now in case he wasn't in the privacy of his own room. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through his hair, unsure if the sweat was just due to the sun, or just the nervousity. School was ending in twenty minutes and in another thirty, he's going to be in such close proximity with Kim Jongin. 

 

Is he… 

 

Is he hyperventilating now

 

N-No!' 

 

 

 

Basically.

Having breaks at the appropriate times will drastically improve the atmosphere you're trying to build.

 

 

 

 

-Paragraphing (Dialogues)

 

The easiest way to break a long passage is right after the end of every dialogue written. For an example:

 

 

 

'Sehun was on the verge of tears; for all the years that he has been waiting had went to waste knowing that Luhan will never love him. At least, not the same way that he does. It's at that very moment, when Sehun questions if it was possible for a man to die of heartbreak. "I… Loved you…" Sehun mutters.

 

He falls onto the floor, fingers nimbly picking up the torn pieces of pictures; the only fragments of their memories.'

 

 

 

You have to end a paragraph with every dialogue. Actually, at the ending sentence for the dialogues. 

Note: If you are unsure how to start a dialogue at the end of the passage, then simply start it on a new line. For an example:

 

 

 

'Luhan walked away — there was no turning back at this point in time. Maybe he'd felt like crying, or was it just a mere sway of his emotions?

 

"Find someone better…" he mumbles.

 

It's all for you, Sehun… 

 

"Someone better than me."'

 

 

 

Now re-read the last three sentences. To make things simpler and the story cleaner, you can combine those three together by re-arranging them. You will still be able to get the same feelings you're trying to project (sometimes, it gets even better after re-arranging), so there's no harm doing it this way.

 

 

 

'"Find someone better…" he mumbles, "Someone better than me." 

 

It's all for you, Sehun.'

 

 

 

Really, paragraph breaking goes a long way. Don't misuse it though, as your story will get weird. It's not even a 'might get weird'. It's a 'will get weird.'

 

 

 

-Descriptive Paraphrasing

 

By far, one of the harder things for an author to control. I totally understand how it feels. It has happened to me more than hundreds of times, and that's why I've started the habit of reading over after writing (but not before posting, sad to say). 

 

Do you find yourself going:

 

 

 

'Kyungsoo rambled on, leaving poor Jongin to sit through four whole hours of random gossips about the other members. He couldn't help that he had so much holding over the rest, and he needed to vent them, somehow.' 

 

 

 

The word 'he' was repeated thrice in a single sentence. I'm totally getting off point, but if you do this during competitive public speaking, you're halfway there to losing.

 

 

 

'He rambled on, leaving poor Jongin to sit through four whole hours of random gossips about the other members. Kyungsoo couldn't help that he had so much holding over the rest, and there was just this need to vent it all out, somehow.'

 

 

 

If it doesn't sound right, change it. Change it, change it, change it.

 

Also, do you see a sentence in another story that you really want to use in your own, but afraid that someone might point it out?

Short phrases are fine, but longer sentences involving two or more is called lifting. How often do you see a story having three exact sentences as another story? Something is iffy.

 

There are no rules stating that you can't take what was of the same context, but only to para-phrase it, as long as you're not lifting the entire passage (and kids, that's not lifting. It's copying a.k.a plagiarizing in the literature world).

Another problem would probably be…

 

 

 

There's a part where Mr. AB kneels on the floor, and a second part where either him or another character does the same action. However, you realize that it's not cool to use the same words, but you're unable to find a better alternative.

 

 

 

 

thesaurus.com

 

 

 

 

You're welcome.

 

There is in no way, that I'm kidding here. Even I refer to thesaurus.com in times like this. In there, you can find similar words but please be careful. If you do not understand how to use a word fully, either steer clear of it, or research on how it's applied. For an example:

 

 

I searched for an alternate way to say 'chuckle', and the given ones were cackle, chortle, crow, exult, guffaw, hee-haw, laugh, smile, snicker, snigger, sniggle, teehee and titter.

 

Seriously? 

 

I'm not too sure about you, but when I use the word 'chuckle', I'm trying to portray a dominant feel. Half of what has been given is neither appropriate nor does it bring justice to the simple phrase, 'Kai chuckled.'

 

They may all carry the same meaning at the end of the day, which is: to 'giggle', according to thesaurus.com, but shall we look at each word in a pictured image?

 

Cackle: To have that creepy laughter like Chanyeol does, only in a choked up and slightly creepier manner. A laughter leveled at all sorts of evilness like a hen.

Chortle: To laugh gleefully, but choked up and often rather stressed.

Crow: To boast or squawk.

Exult: To be joyous or to rejoice.

Guffaw: To laugh heartily and boisterously.

Hee-haw: Do I really need to explain this? To laugh like a donkey (dumb and exaggeratedly).

Laugh: To laugh.

Smile: To smile.

Snicker: To have a half-suppressed laughter.

Snigger: To have a half-suppressed laughter.

Titter: To have a short, half-suppressed giggle.

Teehee & SniggleReally now

 

 

Out of the thirteen given alternatives, only two are usable. Snicker would of course be the best choice, followed by snigger. Even at times, I would rather change the entire sentence rather than to use 'snigger'. Basing off the context, 'snigger' could come off as sarcastic chuckling, which ends up ruining the entire mood.

An advice for writers who has limited vocabulary skills: The internet is like the sky; unlimited. Dictionary.com is your bestfriend and stay away from Urbandictionary.com

 

That's all. If you've managed to read all the way here without going blind then, congratulations! A round of applause for you.

 

Next chapter, I will talk about story titles, descriptions and if it doesn't get as draggy as this chapter does, then about storyline structuring as well. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some points on Adjectives as well.

 

And now, it's time for me to sleep.

Have a good day, guys.

 

P.S, Keane's Strangeland is so good. How did I just manage to find it now?