Adjectives, Apostrophe Rules & Story Titles

A Guideline To Storywriting

I hate myself for never reading through my updates. I write through the night and end up posting these at wee hours, thinking that I'm really eloquent and but when I wake up, my first reaction after reading through is 'holy what the was I thinking?'.

Once again, I am sorry I have to subject you to plausible wayward writing.



So, let's get started. I know I've mentioned in my previous chapter that I will touch on storyline structuring and descriptions. I will not be doing so, unfortunately. Instead, I will be sharing on adjectives, more on the apostrophe rule (clauses) and story titles.



-Adjectives

Adjectives are words which help qualify an action as an action. It helps to give more information to a specific role, and no, I am not exaggerating as to how important adjectives are. They are so important that if you make a mistake with them, it will give your story a total different meaning.
For an example, let's take a look at the most common mistake:

'Sehun laid on his bed.'
'Sehun laid in his bed.'

English is a very literal language. It is what you have been taught since young. Nothing changes over the years, other than having to broaden your vocabulary and the ever growing set of linguistic rules.
A mistake like this doesn't put me off, but it just gnaws on the back of my mind.
People are prone to making such an error due to media broadcasting. You hardly see really interesting shows which promotes the English language (like literally promoting the language).

If you weren't taught the difference between on and in, let me tell you what makes it so that it re-defines your story.

'Sehun laid on his bed.' = Sehun is laying on his bed.
'Sehun laid in his bed.' = Sehun is laying in his bed. Sehun is laying inside of his bed. Inside of the mattress?

Anytime when you get confused with your adjectives, please just refer to what you were taught. All of the words never do change their meaning, so do stick to the correct one.




-Apostrophe Rules

I have touched on this the previous chapter, but I'll just like to talk about it more. Specifically on the Apostrophe-'x' rule.
Take a look here:

'Kyungsoo's'
'Let's' and 'Lets'
'He's' and 'His'
'She'll', 'She'd'
'Might've'
'Hadn't'

All these are basic words that you have learnt in school, I'm pretty sure. Can we just take a moment to review how you look at these words?

'Kyungsoo's' = Kyungsoo is, Kyungsoo's (in this case, we're talking about a possession of something here: Kyungsoo's cooking)
'Let's' = Let us
'Lets' = Lets (go)
'He's' = He is
'His' = His (phone)
'She'll' = She will
'She'd' = She would, She had
'Might've' = Might have
'Hadn't' = Had not

I don't want to go too in-depth about this, since you've already learned it in school. It's just a re-cap to remind you that all these extra alphabets behind the apostrophes are very literal, as well.




-Story titles

I understand how an author takes a rather long time to decide on a name for their story, and that's why I'm going to give you a couple of tips. It's really your own choice as to whether it's applicable for you, or not.

First off, your title has to be something of substance. This is extremely important as most readers judge a story by their title. I wouldn't want to read something that shares the same name as 100 other stories.

Secondly, it has to be related to your story. Let's take my own story for an example. It's called '10,000 Years With Love', and not '10,000 Years Of Love' or 'Loving You Long Time'. The reason why I chose the current name, is because, doesn't it feel weird for someone to name it 'With' instead of 'Of'?
This is how it roughly goes:
Kris and Tao are basically the reincarnations of an Emperor, and his concubine. They were in love with each other, but they had to part with circumstances.
I have mentioned earlier that adjectives are very literal, and thus, I've chosen 'With'.
'With' means to be together, and 'Of' means to already have something.
If they have gone through so much just to be with the other, why would you give it such a brief meaning? Is the love between them just as such?
If you think 'Why would you want to put in so much thought for the title? We're just writing for fun, after-all.', then I'm sorry, but you're at the wrong place. I am here to tell you how to improve on your writing, and story titles are basically a summary for the stories.
I cannot emphasize on how important your story title has to be related to each and every moment of your writing. Other wise, it makes no sense for the story to be named so.
Would you read Harry Potter if it was named 'Hermione Granger', but it's so obvious that the main protagonist was Harry Potter?

Thirdly, never make grammar/spelling mistakes with your titles. Do not be over-excessively vague with your words.
Do not use cliché story titles around like 'Gangster Girlfriend' or 'I'm marrying XXX, the Kingka?!?!'
Oh my God, I just want to uppercut people when I see these repetitive story plots.




I will touch on Descriptions (what's the difference between a description and a foreword, and how to utilize it to its fullest potential), Plot ideas and Storyline Structuring the next chapter. If I can, I'll try to squeeze in some stuff on plot flow as well.

It's a tad too late and I need sleep because I have a meeting early in the morning.

Have a nice day writing, and I hope this helped.