Plot Ideas & Storyline Structuring

A Guideline To Storywriting

 

Sorry for the long wait... And the short update. I have some stuff going on.

 

 

 

 

Descriptions/Forewords

 

Getting started, I would just like to talk about descriptions and forewords. Many people have seemingly misunderstood the real meaning of a foreword, and tends to mix it up with their descriptions. Just to clear things up, descriptions are for you to write a summary of the story, and forewords are for you to add in some personal thoughts of the stories. 

 

Descriptions are like a quick, simple run down of your story without spoiling the storyline. I personally don't read OC fics, but if you've got a nice description, I will check on the first chapter… Though I usually get bummed out by the way of writing. Do not, in any case, blatantly tell the entire story in your description. If you do, there's really not much of a secret anymore… Unless it's a PWP. Leave your readers hanging, but at the same time, don't make the description too draggy. 

 

It sounds simple, but descriptions are extremely powerful, because they make the impact on your readers. Never let your stories drift too far from descriptions, they will only fail.

 

 

 

 

Plot Ideas

 

Obviously not a part that I have a big say in, but just a little something for you. Whenever you're thinking of plot ideas, you should try to drift further away from what is usually written; make huge plot twists, they don't harm. Take a break if you really can't think of anything, forcing will only result in boring chapters (and I will skim through them). 

 

Watch movies, listen to music, for they drastically change your mood. I personally write stories based on my mood, and also some parts of my life (but I tend to take things too far). I suppose all of you do write compositions (in school?), and you could take the original subject, re-write it and post it as a different kind of story. Supposedly you underperform due to stress in school, so this would be a great chance for you to try it again, only that you are doing it on your own pace. 

 

Try to steer clear of high school & idol life AUs, unless you are very sure that your story is that original. Stories set in schools usually end up like how the other thousand fictions are… So, it's a big taboo. Moreover, it's a nice way to clear up your head to make way for the new ideas. Do not write with a story in an unfamiliar setting, unless you are willing to do some research or if you know of someone who is familiar with that genre. There is a high chance you will end up writing nonsense, and they might even end up being offensive to the people who knows how it is. (There's an awful rise in historical stories these days… As a chinese history student, it feels kind of hurting to know that people are butchering up the history…)

 

 

 

Hope this helped.