Punctuation (Basic & Apostrophes)

A Guideline To Storywriting

 


What I am going to talk about today would be the usage of punctuations (especially apostrophes). 

-Punctuations (Fullstopscommasquestion and exclamation marks.)

In the written English language, people these days seem to be taking their punctuations for granted. This is a huge mistake. Can you imagine a world without punctuation? Read the following:

'Kyungsoo went off to the market early in the morning at six alone and caused a ruckus back at the dormitory when EXO K had found their fellow band mate missing and there was no way they could contact him as they were not allowed phones and because is Kyungsoo safe if he was hurt then oh my God no'

Do you find yourself holding onto your breath while reading it? Does it bug you as much as it does for me? It's not only a hassle for someone to read it, it's also a difficult task for me to type it out.
Ever since I was young, I was taught that meeting a punctuation during oral speaking meant you have to pause. This not only helps you to process the next sentence faster, it also helps to make your speech flow smoother.
Read the improvised version:

'Kyungsoo went off to the market early in the morning at six alone, and caused a ruckus back at the dormitory when EXO-K had found their fellow band mate missing. There was no way they could contact him as they were not allowed phones, and all because 'is Kyungsoo safe?'. If he was hurt, then...  'Oh my God, no!'.'

Above, I have removed the 'and' as there is absolutely no need for a sentence connector (they are two separate sentences). Also, quoting thoughts goes a long way. Most readers are not you, and they are unable to project the exact scene if you do not paint the picture for them. There's ellipses (...) added in for the intention of tension building. 
Question and exclamation marks are very much misused in modern day linguistic writing.
For an example:

'Is Kyungsoo safe?!?!?!'

One word: No.

Not that Kyungsoo isn't safe, but continuous punctuation marks are not supposed to be present. If you're trying to show that they were panicking, do it this way:

''Is Kyungsoo safe?' everyone thought as they panicked.'


-Punctuation (Quotation marks and parentheses a.k.a Brackets.)

Many people tend to mix up the usage of quotation marks and inverted commas. It really depends on your regional preferences, but if you were to type one way, then stick to it. This makes a very big difference when it comes to any form of writing. In my case, I was taught that inverted commas (' ') are for quoting and double quotation marks (" ") are for speech. Most importantly, make sure you never ever mix them up.

Taking comprehension into consideration. Most questions ask: "Which sentence in the passage tells you that fast food is an ongoing fad?"

Please, for your own sake, quote the entire sentence. If it is a phrase, do not lift just the phrase, but the entire sentence! This is basic English skills that everyone should have. They should also be in quotes the entire time. Do not in any case leave them as it is for the answer.

Parentheses is widely known as Brackets. Even I call them Brackets at times! It is not wrong to call them brackets, actually! It's important to know when to use them, and when not to. I know it's basic knowledge, but believe me, I've seen people getting it wrong. '( )' in a pair, is 'parentheses', and '(' by itself, is 'parenthesis'. In the form of writing, parentheses should only be used when you're trying to acknowledge something that has been omitted in the text, whether it be difficult to be implemented during writing or what not. For an example:

'Jongin finds himself on his bed the next morning and panics (wasn't he at the Christmas party last night? How could he have forgotten everything?).'

It's not meant to be overused. If it is, note that it's basically badly structured text.


-Punctuation (Apostrophes)

Straight up, this is something I see almost every single author out there making mistakes with. 
Most commonly with names that end with 's'. For an example:

'Kris' arm slid around Tao,"

NO. 

It should be:

'Kris's arm slid around Tao,"

These are simple rules that everyone tend to forgo, but they either make or break you. No matter what, if it is a singular possession, it has to be accompanied by an apostrophe 's' at the back. It doesn't matter what letter it ends with, it just has to end it with an ''s'. However, it should be pronounced without an ''s'.
The only time when you can ignore that rule is when it's plural possessive like: 

'Suho has many pen caps.'
'The pens' that came with the caps have dried out.'

Unless they are plural, like 'Children', then should it be 'Children's'.


The next chapter will be about Paragraphing and Descriptive Paraphrasing. I will teach you how to say the exact same things which you have said before, but in a different manner where people wouldn't find iffy.