Chapter 9

Loving You with a Broken Heart

“Erhmm...” Mrs. Jung cleared to show her presence.

But neither Jesse nor Tiffany realized it. Mrs. Jung decided to knock on the door. She still got no response. She knocked harder and she saw both of them flinched. Jesse turned towards Mrs. Jung while Tiffany quickly let loose of her hug.

“Hi, mom. Do you need our help?” Jesse asked, totally calm and composed. But Tiffany looked the opposite. One word to mention the situation at that time is awkward.

“I’ve been calling for both of you for quite some time but I still got no answer so I decided to check on you.” Mrs. Jung explained.

“Oh. What do you call us for, mom?” Jesse was the one asking as Tiffany still remained silent. What happened to Fany? Usually she’s the one that’s hyper, why suddenly she’s that quiet.

Tiffany looked at their mom and there’s this expression that she didn’t understand, like the mixed of anxiety and confusion. Tiffany tried to learn what’s in their mom’s mind but she couldn’t figure it out.

“Your dad asked, how about we have dinner out?” She said to both of them.

“Sure mom.” Tiffany cheerfully exclaimed. The sudden outburst of joy from Tiffany earned a confused look from Jesse. Sometimes she just could turn hyper suddenly. Jesse thought as he shook his head.

“But mom.. I” But before Jesse could finish, Tiffany cut his words off.

“No buts, oppa. It must be fun. It has been a very long time that we don’t go out together.” Tiffany said quickly, beating Mrs. Jung to answer him.

Actually, Jesse wasn’t in the mood of going out. He wanted to stay alone at home figuring out what’s happening to him and his feeling.

“I’m tired, Fany-ah.” Jesse mumbled, hoping that his sister would let him stay at home.

“I don’t want to hear any reason, oppa.” Tiffany said as she opened Jesse’s wardrobe and took a shirt and a pair of jeans. She threw them to Jesse.

“Quick go and change, oppa.” Tiffany signed him with her hand. She then skipped out of the room happily.

“Are you going to be okay?” Mrs. Jung asked worriedly. “I can tell Fany...” Jesse cut Mrs. Jung before she finished her sentence.

“I’m not that weak mom.” Jesse said almost shouting. He’s tired in the way his parents treat him, like he was a fragile thing that once he was touched, he would be broken. That’s also the reason he didn’t want to tell Tiffany. She was the only person that could make him feel like himself. If she changed the way she treated him, he really wouldn’t know what to do anymore.

“I know I’m sick and always have a weak body but I’m still strong enough to go out.” Jesse said softly.

“I just don’t want to tire yourself out.” Mrs. Jung said anxiously.

“I know my own limit, mom.” He stopped for a while. But I’ll break it for Tiffany.

“Mom, could you please go out for a while, I need to change.” Jesse continued.

“Okay.” Mrs. Jung said weakly. She was worried about a lot of things, Jesse’s condition and also their feelings.

As Mrs. Jung walked out of the room, Jesse quickly closed the door. He leaned on it for a while, before going to change his clothes.

***

The outing was going well and fun for Jesse and Tiffany, but not for Mrs. Jung.  After she discovered the feeling that both of them have, she started to see things in a different way. The way they were holding hands, looking at each other, all of those have different meanings now. She knew those weren’t wrong but those weren’t right either. She was really confused on what she should do, helping them to realize it or breaking them apart. And if she chose the second one, would she able to do it?

Mr. Jung realized the troubled look of his wife and decided to ask her. “What happened to you? Something troubled you?”

“Nothing. Something just came to my mind but nothing important.” She lied.

“You know you can tell me anything.” Mr. Jung smiled warmly.

Could you really accept the truth if you know that your children might be in love relationship? She looked at Jesse and Tiffany who were really enjoying their time. Giggles could be heard, Jesse has a smile plastered on his face and Tiffany has her eye-smiles on.

They are so happy, but this is wrong. Mrs. Jung thought.

Mr. Jung was really worried looking at her wife’s expression. He knew she’s troubled but she didn’t tell him anything. He didn’t want to push her, because he knew his wife, if he kept on pushing her to tell him, in the end she would just keep it more to herself. So, he just let it be and he knew sooner or later, she would tell him.

God, what’s the right thing to do? Mrs. Jung asked herself as she looked at happy and cheerful Jesse and Tiffany.

***

Yul came really early to school today. Why? The answer is easy. he’s waiting for his prey. If he came this early, he usually spends his time on the rooftop. He sat by the edge of the wall, looking at the gate, below him was exactly the entrance to the school building.

Students were coming one by one, but not his target. He sat there while eating his bread and drinking his cola slowly and waited patiently. Slowly the school started to get crowded and finally he saw his target. She was walking slowly with her arrogant style followed by her followers. Yul smirked as she finally came.

As she was going to walk into the building, Yul tilted the can of cola that he was holding and let the cola showered her. All of the people around were really surprised, though some of them were quite happy, but they didn’t show it.

“Hara-yah, are you alright?” One of her followers said.

“Yah! I’m like this and you’re asking whether I am alright or not!” She hissed as she pushed her follower as she quickly ran into the building.

 Yul had his silly smile plastered on his face, as he’s really happy that he successfully finished up his crime. It’s her fault to bully the new student. He thought as he shrugged his shoulder. He slowly jumped down from the wall and walked to the stairs.

***

YoonA, Seohyun and Tiffany were just under the tree where they usually gather before getting into the class. So, they didn’t miss up this scene. They directly knew who the culprit was behind this.

“It must be Yul again.” YoonA hissed. Seohyun and Tiffany shook their head.

“Unnie, are you going to catch Yul oppa?” Seohyun asked YoonA, who’s apparently the head of disciplinary department in the school council.

“Of course. You know that Hara could be quite annoying if I don’t.” YoonA sighed. “Besides, I need to. There are a lot of people saw this incident.”

No matter how YoonA hated Yul, she actually didn’t want to catch him for this incident because first, Tiffany would be begging to let Yul go and that’s quite annoying, when Tiffany started to nag, second, Hara deserves it. There’s also one more reason to not punish him, because he reminded her of her childhood friend, when he did that towards Hara.

“Do whatever you need to, Yoong.” Tiffany said which earned a look from the latter.

“Just like that, no begging not to catch him?” YoonA teased Tiffany. Actually, YoonA was quite surprised that Tiffany didn’t beg her, but she could see it coming.

Tiffany shook her head. “No. I won’t. What you said is right. You need to. You’ve been helping Yul escaping from his punishment for a few times, so I guess we need to be strict to him once in a while.”

“Good that finally you agree with this. I let him go for a few times, all of that was because you keep on begging me.” YoonA said cheerfully.

As she remembered whenever Yul did something wrong and when she’s going to punish him, Tiffany would rush towards her and begged her to let him go.

“You’re just really happy, aren’t you?” Tiffany chuckled, looking at YoonA.

“Of course, I do. Because no one is going to nag me to let him go.” YoonA said as she grinned happily.

Three of them walked into the building and when they reached the entrance.

“I guess I need to do my job.” YoonA said as she parted from both of them to look for Yul.

Both Seohyun and Tiffany waved at her, “See you later in class.”

***

There was Yul in the basketball court. That’s one of his daily activities. He heard someone’s footsteps behind him, but he just shrugged it off, continued to shoot the ball into the hoop. The people in the court knew that Yul was in a huge trouble, since YoonA was the one who came to look for him, herself.

YoonA, the head of disciplinary department, never goes to catch the naughty students or the students that broke the rules, unless their mistake was really severe, but she always makes sure that everything is in control. YoonA is always kind to everyone, but don’t try her. If she’s angry, she wouldn’t let you slide it off.

“Done with it?” YoonA said as she crossed her arms and looking at Yul’s back.

“No, not yet. Our head of disciplinary~~ Just wait for one or two hours or maybe after school, at that time, I’m done with everything.” Yul calmly stated while slightly joked.

“You think my job is only to make sure that you behave, huh.” YoonA hissed. She really tried her best to control herself from scolding and dragged him right on the spot. How could such person like Yul exist? She thought.

“If not, you won’t be here.” Yul finally turned around and looked at her. He stuck his tongue out.

“Why you must be so annoying.” YoonA looked at him back angrily.

“This is me~~” Yul said half singing. He really loved to see the annoyed YoonA.

That’s it, YoonA thought. She is really angry now. She took the basketball and threw it at him.

“Someone’s angry~” Yul said as he dodged the ball.

“You...” YoonA said through her gritted teeth.

“Me? What happened?” Yul pretended not to know anything. “Besides, Why did you come here? I did nothing wrong.”

“Should I freshen up your mind with cola too?” YoonA looked at him angrily.

That’s when Yul started to run and YoonA followed him. Everyone was looking at them and for Yul’s fans, they’re totally spazzing right now.

“Kyaa!!! Yul oppa is so cool running like that.” Yul’s fans shouted as he ran through them, trying to make a distance from YoonA.

“What’s so cool about me running right now? I’m trying to save my life, don’t they know that.” Yul mumbled as he kept on running. He took a glance once in a while to his back and he saw YoonA was really close to him. This girl is really fast.

Suddenly from the corner, Ok Taecyeon came out and Yul didn’t see this coming since he kept on looking back, checking how close YoonA was with him. He then bumped into Taecyeon which in the end stopped him from his running. Yul stared at Taecyeon angrily. He never likes this guy. He was like his biggest enemy. For Yul, Taecyeon only pretended to be good to everyone so that everyone trusted him, especially the girls. He really hated that kind of people.

“Good job, oppa.” YoonA complimented Taecyeon, which earned a disgusted look from Yul.

Seriously, what’s good from this guy? Oppa? Am I dreaming? She called her, oppa. Yul was surprised of what he heard just now.

“It’s my job, YoonA. I’m your vice right?” Taecyeon smiled widely showing his charms. Taecyeon’s fan-girls squealed in delight.

“Thanks oppa.” YoonA said as she grabbed Yul’s collar and dragged him away. Yul didn’t do anything since he was still surprised with what’s happening in front of his eyes.

That disgusting smile of his. If you’re really that good, try to save those people who got bullied. You’re just coming out when you got time for people to praise you. Yul really wanted to shout that out loud to Taecyeon. Still he didn’t do it, well, it’s because he didn’t want to look for trouble since no one would believe him. So why bother to try.

The people in the hallway were practically looking at them. Yul slowly felt ashamed as he was being dragged along the hallway with everyone’s eyes looking at him. He tried to release himself from her grip but he couldn’t. How could she be so strong?

“Can’t you let go of me?” He said as he trying to peel her hand off his collar.

“Why should I? Just to let you run away again?” YoonA looked at him, arching one of her eyebrows.

“YoonA.” YoonA heard Ms. Lee was calling for her, so she turned around but Ms. Lee was nowhere to be found.

Then, slowly Ms. Lee appeared in front of YoonA after passing through a few students.

“You’ve caught him.” Ms. Lee said as she nodded.

“Ms. Lee, why are you looking for me?” YoonA asked.

“Oh, actually I’m looking for the guy behind you in the class, but Tiffany said you’re catching him.”

“Then, here, Ms. Lee. You can punish him.” YoonA pulled Yul so he’s in front of her.

Yul just scratched his head and grinned. “Ms. Lee.”

“No... No... It’s not me that’s going to punish him, but you, YoonA.” Ms. Lee stated. “And... start from now on, I want you to make sure Yul behave well. So, in short, I want you to monitor him. Once he broke the rule, you can punish him directly without asking for permission either from me or the principal. You have the full power.” Ms. Lee finished her announcement which made YoonA and Yul stood in place agape at the news. Then, YoonA smirked as she registered the news in her mind. This is going to be fun, she thought.

This is the worst news ever....  Yul looked at YoonA and she had the smirk in her face. Why it seems like I don’t like what was in her mind?

“Until when?” Yul asked Ms. Lee as he glared at YoonA which the latter only shrugged.

“Until I thought it’s enough?” Ms. Lee smiled. “YoonA makes sure he behaves okay?”

“Sure, Ms. Lee” YoonA said as she made a salute to Ms. Lee before Ms. Lee made her way through the students again.

“I guess I need to inform you of your punishment.” YoonA said with a smug face.

“Fine... Whatever. Just go to the punishment, will you?” Yul gritted his teeth.

“Help the gardening club for a week. I heard they need more people to take care of our school garden.” YoonA looked at him with a victorious look.

“Okay.” Yul said nonchalantly. I won’t let you win this, YoonA. Just see.

“If there isn’t anything else, I’ll be get going.” Yul said as he strolled down the hallway to his classroom.

YoonA just stood there and frowned. Doesn’t he agree to it so easily? There must be something fishy in his mind. I guess it won’t be as fun as I thought...

***

Jesse was in the infirmary with the nurse treating his wound on his left arm. He flinched when the nurse touched his wound. When the nurse finished putting the ointment on his hand and bandaged the wound, he sighed in relief.

“Thanks.” Jesse said.

“Next time be careful. Luckily you quickly washed the acid away. If not the injury will be worse than that.” The nurse walked to the cabinet to put back the ointment and bandage.

“I will.” Jesse smiled and bowed to the nurse before he walked out.

How should I keep this a secret from Tiffany? She would be very worried if she knew about this. Jesse sighed as he walked in the hallway back to the laboratory. All of this is because of Siwon...

Flashback....

All of the students in Jesse’s class are in the laboratory. It’s their chemistry lesson. Everyone was busy mixing and writing the result that they got from the experiment.

There was Jesse mixing the solution with his partner help. When his partner going to hand him the bottle of acid, someone’s bumped onto his partner and that person was none other than Siwon. So, the bottle was tilted and the content spilled on their table and the worst some of it was spilled on Jesse’s arm. Jesse flinched with the pain with the realization that the acid has seeped into his coat and got to his arm. He jumped from his seat and quickly the tap to wash his hand from the acid.

The teacher saw the incident quickly asked Jesse to go to the infirmary to treat his arm. Jesse saw his friend kept on apologizing to him, but he said to him it’s okay and it’s not her fault, because that’s Siwon’s fault. Jesse knew it the moment the incident happened, Siwon was the one who did that on purpose from the smirk that he saw on his face. Still he couldn’t say that it’s his fault. People wouldn’t believe him. So, he just quietly walked out of the laboratory and went to the infirmary.

End of flashback.....

Jesse knocked on the door. The moment he got into the laboratory back, all eyes were looking at him and he didn’t like it. As usual, he put on his cold gaze and walked back to his seat. Everyone was practically frozen on their seat and Jesse smiled inwardly. He sat back and his partner quickly apologized to him again. Okay... I’m tired with this... repeating the same thing...

“Stop, apologies accepted.” Jesse sighed as his partner finally stopped.

He looked at the paper and sighed once more. The result that they got was literally destroyed.

“Jesse and Victoria.” Both of them turned around to face the teacher. “Both of you got extra time to finish it. The time for both of you to submit the result is on Thursday or we can say two days from now. If both of you could finish it faster, it would be better.” The teacher said and smiled.

Both of them quickly nodded. Not long after that, the bell rang and the class was dismissed. Jesse and Victoria were still in the class discussing on what they should do, before they came in term that they would do it tomorrow after the class.

After their discussion, they took their bags and left the laboratory to continue the rest of the lessons.

***

Yul slumped on his seat, the moment he reached the class. Tiffany and Seohyun slightly smiled looking at Yul’s dejected face. Yul who noticed the smile in both of their face curiously asked as he thought of the chasing this morning. Since then, he was in bad mood. “Why she could be that strong and fast?”

Tiffany and Seohyun knew that the question was for them although Yul wasn’t looking at them.

“We don’t know that too.” Tiffany answered.

“Luckily we’re going to vote for a new students’ council president, by then I’ll be free from her.” Yul sighed as he put his chin on the table.

“I don’t think so, Yul oppa. YoonA unnie give a good record in making sure students follow the school rule. So, most probably she would get chosen again by the next president.” Seohyun stated.

YoonA was in front of the door, but still she didn’t get into the class because there are a lot of juniors asking her questions. She showed her kind and goddess smile towards them.

“Does she have split personality?” Yul mumbled weakly as he looked at the door.

“She’s always like that with others, calm and composed. Only with us that she’s noisy.” Tiffany giggled.

“Cheer up, oppa... Just count the punishment to make you a better person.” Seohyun said with a sincere smile.

“It’s easy for you to say...” Yul sighed.

“Lazy guy~” YoonA sang as he walked towards Yul. “Where’s that arrogant Yul that I saw in the hallway and the one that left me behind this morning?”

“None of your business, besides I’m tired.” Yul said as he closed his eyes to sleep.

“Yah... don’t sleep. The bell is going to ring soon.” Tiffany nudged Yul.

“It won’t work Fany.” YoonA said with a mischievous grin. “But this will do” YoonA then smacked Yul’s head.

Yul glared at YoonA and stood up facing her. “You...” Yul gritted his teeth.

Seohyun quickly stood up and dragged YoonA away. Tiffany also quickly held Yul’s hand to stop whatever that Yul’s going to do to YoonA which she knew that it was not a good thing.

“Let me go, Fany.” Yul tried to shake off Tiffany’s grip. “I need to teach her a lesson.”

“Seohyun, let me go. I’m not afraid of him.” YoonA also tried to pry Seohyun’s hand from her.

Their classmates slowly surrounded all of them making a circle around Tiffany, YoonA, Seohyun and Yul. They wanted to help Tiffany and Seohyun, but they didn’t know how to.

“YoonYul....” The voice that both of them knew very well came from the door. Not only both of them actually, but the whole junior high, except the new students. All of them froze as if all of them had done something wrong.

All of them turned around to look at the door. Jesse, their former student council president, was standing by the door, crossing his arms. Crowd also started to form around their class. All of them were curious why Jesse could be in their school. Since senior high students were not allowed to go to their school during the studying period, unless it’s the end of the school time. Jesse’s footsteps could be heard as the class was really silent even the people who looked into the class also didn’t dare to talk. All of them gulped especially YoonA and Yul. Jesse was known to be kind and strict when he needed to when he was still a student council president. Even Tiffany also didn’t dare to talk at that moment, so they knew that they’re in a serious problem.

“I guess I’m not around only for a while... It’s just been like a week or two...” Jesse said coldly. “And... look at what happened?” His voice was booming in the class that’s now silent. He glared at every single of them.

Murmurs could be heard from the hallway, but none of them dared to turn to look. All of them were staring on the floor.

“The first class that I checked, the class that’s also my sister in it, the class that’s full of smart, creative and with high potential students, turns out to be really disappointing me.” Jesse said and Jesse’s voice made those murmurs stop. His lips formed a straight line and he shook his head.

More people started to crowd in front of the class. Some were curious of what’s happening and some just wanted to see Jesse. Teachers also started to gather seeing the crowd in front of the classroom to see what’s happening. The students smiled towards the tall girl that’s walking towards them and bowed towards the principal that walked beside the tall girl. The tall girl smiled back and accompanied the principal to walk towards the class. Both of them stopped right in front of the door with other teachers.

All of them were looking at Jesse’s back and the students in the class who had their head hung low and looked towards the floor. The teachers and principal admitted that in the history of the student council, there’s no one that’s better than Jesse. All of the students respect him. Some even respect him more than towards the teachers or principal, especially the naughty and problematic kids.

Today Jesse was summoned by his former principal during his class to his office just to talk about how everything changed into a mess since Jesse and SooYoung, his vice-president, graduated and his principal practically begged him just to help to make things in order until they’ve found the new student’s council president and vice. So, he decided to make some checking to see how bad it had turned to be. The answer was horrible. It’s like student council did nothing. He checked the office and it’s in a very messy state. Papers around, but no one managed it, the worst part was no one was even there in the break time like this. And when he went to check the classes although it’s just a peek, he shook his head disappointingly.

“Both of you. Office, N.O.W.” Jesse pointed to YoonA and Yul as they quietly headed to the door. Both of them still glaring at each other but YoonA and SooYoung just kept quiet.

Jesse turned around and saw the people outside the door. There was the principal and also teachers and of course SooYoung. He bowed to the principal and teachers. He nodded to SooYoung. This was the first time he met her again after he had graduated from here. Although they were still in the same school, he really never met her even once. So, it’s sort of a joyful thing that he could meet her again.

***

Jesse,  SooYoung, YoonA and Yul were in the student council office. Jesse glared at both of them.

“So, the punishment for both of you is this.” Jesse pointed to the messy office.

Yul raised his head and looked at Jesse, puzzled.

“Tidy this room up before the break time ends.” Jesse said. “I’ll come back here to check. I and SooYoung will walk around.” He told both of them. SooYoung nodded beside Jesse.

Both YoonA and Yul wanted to protest, but they both knew that Jesse wouldn’t accept any kind of excuses. Both of them just sighed as they looked at the back of Jesse and SooYoung as they walked out of the door. YoonA and Yul glared at each other before they started to do the cleaning quietly.

 

 

Author's note:

going to take a very long time for the next update... please tolerate it since I'm too busy

but I hope all of you enjoy it

and if there's any improvement or request please do tell me