Chapter 8

Loving You with a Broken Heart

 

Tiffany was behind Jesse’s back. Tiffany saw that Jesse suddenly being so close with Gyuri brought an uneasy feeling for her. Tiffany walked closer to Jesse and Onew was trailing behind Tiffany.

“Help me by acting like I’m helping you picking up your things.” Jesse whispered. “And don’t tell her anything about that.

The only person besides his parents and doctor that knows about his sickness is only Gyuri, because she’s his doctor’s daughter. Although her dad never tells her, Gyuri knows. The first time, she saw Jesse was when she was 10. At first she didn’t know anything and only thought that he came to the hospital to see someone sick or accompany someone for check up. As she grew up, and she realized that his regularities coming to the hospital was not normal. There must be something, that’s what Gyuri was thinking back then, and that slowly woke her curiosity side. One day, she saw him coming out from his dad office, her mind told her that he might have a heart problem, but she tried to deny it. She then asked her father why Jesse was in his room that day, but his father told him that he just went there to ask something. She decided to believe her father, until he saw Jesse came out from his father office again a month later. Then she asked the nurse that helps her father, and she found out that Jesse is one of her father’s patients.

“I’ll try my best. But I don’t know whether she’ll buy it or not.” Gyuri whispered worrily.

“Oppa, what are you doing?” Tiffany asked curiously.

“He’s just helping me to pick up my things.” Gyuri explained. She stood up and looked at Jesse. She was really worried, but she must cover it up, so that Tiffany didn’t know.

Jesse struggled hard to stand up, trying not to sway, just one mistake, Tiffany would notice it. He was really afraid to turn around, he was afraid, Tiffany might saw his pale face.

“Yeah...” Jesse stopped for a while. He tried his best not to stutter. “I’m helping her.”

“Thanks.” Gyuri smiled but her face showed a worried look. Jesse nodded to her, ensuring her that everything is going to be okay.

Gyuri left Tiffany, Onew and Jesse alone. She’s really worried but she couldn’t do anything to help Jesse and that frustrated her. So, she only hoped that everything was going smoothly for Jesse.

Jesse slowly turned around and was greeted with Tiffany’s pouting face.

“What happened to my little sister? Why she turned into a duck?” Jesse chuckled as he tried to light up the mood.

Tiffany didn’t laugh at all which made Jesse worried even more. The words that suddenly came from Tiffany’s mouth surprised him.

“Since when did you lie to me, oppa? Don’t we promise each other before, that there’s no lie between us?” Tiffany said softly, there’s a tint of sadness and disappointment. She didn’t even realize that the line that’s coming out from looks like a line that was used between couples.

Onew who was standing there watching, felt weird out. When he heard Tiffany’s words, he felt that there’s something happening. But that’s just impossible, after he thought of that. They’re just really close. This whole school knows about that.

“Um... I guess I just leave.” Onew said. He didn’t want to stay there longer and felt the pressure.

Jesse just nodded. Tiffany was still looking at Jesse, “Bye.” Tiffany replied short.

“Bye” Onew said softly. He walked away and sighed. This is scarier than this morning.

Jesse stared at Tiffany. What should I tell her? But when he’s thinking, Tiffany took the chance to walk away. Jesse realized that Tiffany left him. Although he’s still weak, he slowly walked and followed her. Both of them kept quiet. Jesse didn’t even bother to answer her, because he didn’t know what to tell her. Should he tell her the truth or just pretend to be stupid?

***

On their way home, it’s a total silence. Jesse slowly getting better and all the way he kept on looking at Tiffany. Tiffany who couldn’t stand the silence, decided to break it.

“Oppa. You still owe me an answer.”

“What answer?” Jesse acted like he didn’t know.

“The question that I asked you just now.” Tiffany said, as she looked down.

“Oh.” Jesse stopped. “That one...”

“I didn’t think that I lied to you.” Jesse tried to say as calm as possible, though his heart was throbbing furiously right now.

“Really?” Tiffany stopped walking which made Jesse stopped too. Tiffany turned to Jesse and raised her eyebrow. “So, why did you being that touchy with Gyuri unnie?”

Jesse finally understands everything now. “Wait. You think that I’m dating with Gyuri and didn’t tell you?” Jesse smirked. After that he laughed and held his stomach.

Tiffany lips turned downwards and pouted. Jesse saw it. He stopped and held his laughter. He sighed and said, “If I date someone, you’ll be the first to know. Told you before I haven’t thought of dating any girl. Stupid.” Jesse hit her head, which made Tiffany pout more.  The latter held the spot where Jesse hit.

“Smile, please.” Jesse brought his face closer to Tiffany’s and showed his white rows of teeth. Tiffany then realized that Jesse’s face was paler than usual. Oppa must be feeling unwell, yet, he still tries to cheer me up while I only stressed him out.

Tiffany next move really made Jesse surprised. Tiffany suddenly hugged him. Tiffany felt sorry for the way she acted before and Jesse still kept calm though he’s feeling unwell.

“Oppa... sorry.” Tiffany buried her face in his chest. He rubbed Tiffany’s back to comfort her.

“Why did you say sorry, out of sudden?” Jesse whispered, afraid to ruin the moment.

“I’m sorry for acting like that just now. You didn’t even get angry for wrongly accusing you.”

“You didn’t need to say sorry for that.”

“Oppa, did you still feel unwell?” Tiffany raised her head to look at Jesse, still in Jesse’s embrace.

“Just now I did, but now I don’t. I’m totally fine.” Jesse smiled, though he’s a bit surprised on Tiffany’s statement. At least I’m telling her half of the truth.

“Let’s go home, now.” Jesse let go of Tiffany. He intertwined his hands on Tiffany’s and they slowly walked home together.

Tiffany looked at their hand and smiled. I always feel safe when I am with oppa. All of my problems disappear when I’m with him. Should I tell my problem with Yul, but I didn’t want to ruin this moment. Maybe I’ll tell oppa later. Jesse saw that Tiffany was thinking.

“What’s on your mind?”

“Huh.” Tiffany looked at Jesse. But Jesse just kept his gaze straight forward.

“I just wondered, what are you thinking about?”

“Nothing.” Tiffany mumbled.

“If you’re like that, I won’t believe it.” Jesse swung their hand.

“I’ll tell you later. Just don’t ruin the moment.”

“Fine... Fine...” Jesse chuckled.

***

“Yul, come here.” Mrs Kwon said in a strict way.

“Yes, mom.” Yul sighed. He knew that he would be scolded by his mom. He felt relieved instead of scared. If dad is the one who knows, I’ll be dead. Luckily, it’s mom.

“You still haven’t stopped, huh. If you want to ask, I know from whom, you don’t need to. Your principal called this morning.” Yul understood what his mom meant. He looked down and nodded.

“It’s lucky that your dad didn’t know it. If he knew, I guess you’ll be in the hospital, now.” Mrs Kwon said in a motherly way this time. “It’s because you’re still looking for her, am I right?”

“Mom, you know me. I wouldn’t give up, until I know which girl in my school is her. Even if I must be suspended from school or even dad will beat me up until I get into the hospital, I don’t mind, as long as I can find her.”

“It’s been 7 years, Yul. If it’s only 2 or 3 years, I won’t ask you to give up. But don’t you think, now is the right time to stop. You barely have life. Although you look happy, all this time, but as your mom, I know all of that is just a cover, a shell.” Mrs Kwon desperately said.

“Mom, I won’t give up. She’s my happiness. My biggest mistake is I didn’t ask her name. I’m contented just with the memories I had with her. I’ll find her no matter what.”

“She’s just a girl that you met and played with, so why you insisted to find her. You can do a lot of things rather than just looking for her. You’ve moved around many schools since she left. How can you be so sure, she’s in your school now? You’ve been there for 2 years, have you found her? No, Yul. You got nothing!!! Not even a single clue.” Mrs Kwon scolded, all the worries that she suppressed finally got out.

“It’s because I saw a girl that looked like her. Although I just saw her back, I’m sure that’s her. I saw her uniform-the coat is from Soshi High. That’s the reason, I asked you to transfer me there. I tried to chase her, but I lost her in the crowd.” Yul frowned.

“People changed, Yul. Look, you’ve grown up, so does she. She must be different now. How can you be so sure.” Mrs Kwon got tired convincing her son.

“Mom, when your heart tells you, that that’s the person you’re looking for. It won’t be wrong.” Yul started to walk away.

“Still you don’t need to prank others.” Mrs Kwon shouted.

“Mom, I only prank those bullies in our school.” Yul said as he ran up the stairs. And the reason for playing pranks on them is because that’s what we used to do and I hope that you saw it.

***

Jesse and Tiffany were in the living room with the TV on, but neither of them watching.

“Mmhmm.” Jesse listened attentively to Tiffany’s story. She stopped which earned a confused look from the latter.

“Why stopped?” Jesse asked with his brows raised.

“Promised me that you won’t be angry.” Tiffany offered her pinkie.

“Why should I be angry for what Yul has done? It has got nothing to do with me.” Jesse said nonchalantly.

“Come on, oppa. Promise me.” Tiffany insisted.

“Fine. Whatever you want.” Jesse intertwined their pinkies.

“Okay... after I scolded him, he said that he did nothing wrong. Did you know how disappointed I am? All this time I stay beside him and support him. I didn’t ask him to say sorry for what he had done, but at least he should show some regret in his face.” Tiffany sighed. “But I saw nothing. That’s when I felt really angry and disappointed. Because I can’t bear those feelings, I...” Tiffany stopped to look at Jesse and he looked calm, so she continued. “I cried.”

That’s when Jesse flinched. No one is allowed to make her sister cried. But in this case, Yul did nothing wrong. Now, Jesse is torn in between. He’s confused on what he should do. Tiffany who saw Jesse showed no reaction got worried.

“Oppa...” Tiffany whispered.

“Hmm??” Jesse answered. Tiffany was sort of surprised seeing Jesse like this. Usually, he would go and find whoever that made her cry. So seeing him being calm made her worried even more.

“You’re not angry??” Tiffany was really confused.

“Do you want me to be angry?” Jesse threw the question back to Tiffany. The latter quickly shook her head, still stunned with Jesse’s attitude.

“Come on. Let’s go out and have an ice-cream.” Jesse said as he stood up, offering his hand to Tiffany and the latter gladly accepted it.

***

Yul was lying on his bed. I guess I should apologize. Tiffany did nothing wrong to me and it’s all my fault to make her cry. Yul stood up and took his cap from his study table. He put it on and walked out of his room.

Yul had arrived in front of Jung’s house. How should I start later when I meet her? Will she want to meet me? He was really worried. He kept on pacing back and forth in front of the door. He put his hand on the door bell. However, he lost the courage to press it, he pulled his hand back. Should I go home? I guess coming here to meet here is a very bad decision.

The moment he wanted to turn around and went home, he heard Tiffany’s voice coming from his back. “Yul, what are you doing here?”

Yul’s heart almost stopped. He slowly turned around, and there he saw Tiffany and Jesse holding each other hand. Somehow, his eyes trailed to those hands. Jesse realized that Yul looking at their hands. Jesse let go of Tiffany’s hand. Tiffany looked at Jesse for a while before looking back at Yul. Yul was really afraid with Jesse’s gaze. That gaze made him trembled, he wanted to run away but he couldn’t. He just backed away until he was stopped by the door on his back. I’m dead. Totally dead.

He closed his eyes, waiting for the worst to come. He could hear footsteps coming closer. He decided to take a peek and Jesse was walking towards him in a cold expression with Tiffany looking from behind his back. Is Tiffany really that cruel? Letting Jesse torture him. God, please let me live longer. I know all this time, I seldom go to church, but please don’t let me die today. Yul unknowingly clasped his hands and prayed. Jesse is now in front of him. Yul still closed his eyes and he felt a hand holding his shoulder. He opened his eyes and saw Jesse.

“Relax.” He heard Jesse said. Jesse smirked which brought more creepiness. “I’ll make sure you die with no pain.”

Yul’s face turned pale. His hands and feet were cold, but he still managed to speak. “H-Hyung. I-I come here to apologize.” He tried to back away but unfortunately he couldn’t.

Yul looked towards Tiffany. “Fany-ah, please help me.”

“Hey, even Fany couldn’t help you anymore. I told you before right no one can hurt my sister.” Jesse hissed.

“I’m sorry, hyung.” He put the most pitiful face that he could. I want to run away, but why did just with Jesse hyung’s gaze my feet turn weak? Jesse hyung is really scary. If he put his cold gaze on, everyone trembles, except Tiffany. I don’t know how she could stand Jesse’s gaze. I must admit, although, he’s weak physically, mentally, I really couldn’t beat him. No wonder people scare of him. If hyung wasn’t that weak, maybe it would be really fun, we could play sports together.

Jesse turned around and looked at Tiffany. Ah... they’re exchanging that kind of stare again. I hope that Tiffany tell hyung to forgive me.

From Jesse’s stare, Tiffany got the message. Should we end this game? Tiffany nodded. Jesse turned back to Yul, he smiled, not a sincere one, but a creepy one. Jesse saw Yul trembled, in the end, Jesse and Tiffany burst out laughing. “You’re just so fun to tease, Yul.”

Yul was confused at first. He looked at Tiffany through Jesse’s shoulder and he was greeted by Tiffany’s eye-smile. That was when he realized that both of them had tricked him, and he was completely fall for the trick. Slowly, colour came back to his face and he let out an awkward smile, “Hyung and Fany, you guys are just too much. Did you know that I almost had a heart attack?”

“We know. It showed on your face.” Tiffany said still with her eye-smile on her face. She walked closer to Yul and Jesse. Jesse turned around and both of them did a high-five.

“Hyung, I thought you’ll be at least angry to me. But this, I totally don’t expect it.” Yul still surprised.

Jesse turned back to Yul. He walked closer to Yul. “Don’t stand in front of the door. How could I get in?” Jesse shook his head. “Or should I change my mind and be angry to you? So, choose.”

“Huh. Seriously, hyung. You’re not angry at all.” Yul said still standing in front of the door.

“Yup. How many times should I tell you?” Jesse said slightly annoyed. “Maybe I should really be angry to you.”

“See oppa. It’s not just me who didn’t believe that you’re not angry when I told you, even Yul too.” Tiffany said. Jesse glared at Tiffany. She just shrugged her shoulders, "It's never working on me, oppa."

“So, out of my way, before I change my mind Yul.” Jesse mumbled, looking at Yul sharply.

“O-okay.” Yul quickly moved away, and accidentally stumbled on his feet. Jesse smiled.

“Why are you so afraid of me?” Jesse chuckled. “I’m not that scary, okay. But, if one more time you make Tiffany cry, I promise you won’t let you go this easily.”

“Okay, hyung.” Yul did a salute to Jesse. The latter just shook his head and walked into the house.

“So...” Tiffany said when she saw that Jesse had gotten into the house.

“So...” Yul continued, looking at Tiffany. “I guess I’m sorry?” he said raising his eyebrows. “Making you angry wasn’t a good choice, wasn’t it?”

“I guess so...” Tiffany smiled. “But now we’re okay.” Tiffany assured.

“Still I guess you should stop your pranks.” Tiffany warned although she knew Yul wouldn’t listen to her.

“I can’t promise that.” Yul said cheekily. Tiffany hit his arm.

“Ouch. I’ll file you for an assault.” Yul frowned, pretending that he was angry.

“No, you won’t.” Tiffany said as she smiled to him.

They stopped and looked at each other. Comfortable silence enveloped them.

“I guess I should leave now.” Yul broke the silence as he bid goodbye.

“Okay. Bye.” Tiffany walked Yul to the gate. After Yul left, Tiffany grinned by herself and skipped happily into the house.

***

“Okay. That’s not as bad as I thought.” Yul said to himself.

He was walking to the bus stop, on his way home from jung’s house. “Jesse hyung really couldn’t be predicted. It’s sort of miracle I came back from there, alive. Alive!!!” Yul said excitedly. People around him looking at him, thinking that he must have something wrong, Yul realized the stare coming from the people around him. He cleared his throat and tried to hide his flustered face, by pulling down his cap down.

Why does the bus take such a very long time? This is embarrassing. Yul thought.

After 10 minutes, finally his bus came. He quickly got into the bus and sat by the window. From his peripheral vision, he saw someone. “Is that her?”  Yul mumbled.

He was too surprised to move. He tried to look at her face, but he couldn’t. Yul made up his mind. He didn’t care if the people in the bus thought he’s crazy. Because he wouldn’t lose this chance to find her again.

“STOP the bus!!!” Yul shouted.

The driver quickly stepped on the brake, thinking that there’s something urgent. All the passengers looked at Yul, disturbed by his behaviour and the impact of the sudden stop. He quickly ran out of the bus towards the spot where he saw her, ignoring the stare from the people around him. He looked around but still he didn’t see a glimpse of her. He sighed. I guess we’re still not fated to meet.

***

Jesse got into his room. “Hmm... this is heaven.” His room is totally cold like in the arctic, a total opposite of the outside temperature which is burning. As you know, anything that related to heat is Jesse’s enemy. He hates sweating.

Jesse walked to the window looking at his sister. He saw everything and it hurt him somehow. It’s not supposed to be like this. I’m supposed to be happy, why am I hurting? What is happening to me?

“Ahh... it’s so frustrating...” Jesse shouted.

“What’s frustrating?” a head popped out through the gap of the door.

“Just something.” Jesse shrugged. Something that I still can’t figure out which is my feelings towards you. He moved from the window and took a seat on his bed.

“You’re not fun, oppa. Recently, you have so many secrets.” Tiffany went into his room. He took his pillow and threw it to his face. After that she sat beside Jesse.

“Yah!” He said dodging the pillow. “Basically I’m like this.” Jesse gave Fany a short answer.

“That’s why I said that you’re not fun.” Tiffany slid under the blanket. “Oppa, your room is too cold.”

“Then, just go out.” Jesse coldly said, his back facing Tiffany.

Tiffany knew that her brother must be angry. She smiled and back hugged Jesse. “You’re not fun, but you’re the best oppa that I’ve ever got.”

Jesse felt butterflies in his stomach, this applied on Tiffany too. Jesse couldn’t help being more confused with his feeling. Why there’s this tingling feeling when Tiffany is really close to him or when she holds his hand. Not to mention the warm and comfortable feeling when she’s around or when she hugs him. Only with Tiffany presence could make him calm and he wouldn’t care of anything else. When she’s with another guy, he would feel this uncomfortable feeling and sometimes it hurts him. As days passed, it made him confuse, he tried not to think about it, but there’s always something that trigger it, a simple gesture like holding hands or the time when she’s too close with her boyfriends. Nowadays, he also not only sees her as his sister but as a girl.

While Jesse was in his deep thought, Tiffany was secretly enjoying the hug. Because it’s always different when she hugged her brother, there’s this warm, comfortable and safe feeling that she gets.

By the door, Mrs. Jung saw it and frown was formed in her face. The moment she saw this, she knew what had happened between them, and she also knew both of them haven’t realized it yet. All this time, she had this feeling telling her that they love each other more than brother and sister, but she always shrugged it off and told herself that it’s just the love between siblings. This time, looking by the love in her son and daughter eyes and feeling the lovely aura between them which is usually only seen in couple, she knows she’s right.