Chapter 5

Loving You with a Broken Heart

 

First day of school might be fun for some people, but not for Jesse, not this year. He was in the same class with his greatest enemies, Kangin and Siwon, not to mention Siwon was chosen as the class president just made it worse. Both of them kept on disturbing him, testing his patience, especially Siwon, since he sat beside Jesse. They made everything up as if Jesse was the one who started it. So, people started to think that Jesse was such a troublemaker. Jesse restrained himself a lot, but no matter how patient that person was; there’s still a limit for that. So in the end, people misunderstood Jesse, and now he’s stuck in the school to clean the class alone while all of his friends already gone home.
 
“Such annoying people! If not because of my promise to Fany, I would have taught them some lesson!” Jesse grumbled.
 
“Are the teachers blind? It’s clearly Kangin and Siwon that kept on disturbing me, and I just defended myself and they thought I’m the one who played in their classes.” Jesse threw the rubbish to the garbage bin.
 
“I must call Tiffany to tell her not to wait for me. Still need to sweep the floor. Huh. What’s the janitor hired for, if they’re going to punish the students to clean the class?” Jesse said while walking back to his class room, holding the wastepaper basket.
 
***
 
Four people, three best-friends and a guy who was just following along because someone asked him to, walked towards the school gate.
 
“Unnie, are we going to study as a group today?” Seohyun asked Tiffany.
 
“I don’t mind. But if you guys have something else to do, then you guys can go.”
 
“Fany, later, maybe around 5, I’ll come to your house, okay?” Yul looked at Tiffany expectantly.
 
“Yul, you’re going to ask for the homework from Tiffany again right? Can’t you do it yourself, lazy boy?” YoonA said creasing her eyebrows. Yul turned around to face YoonA. This girl is really annoying. She doesn’t know anything at all, yet she judges me as a lazy boy. He thought.
 
YoonA never really likes Yul attitude. So, they’re sort of enemy. YoonA’s quiet image is totally destroyed if there’s Kwon Yul around. Because whenever they talked with each other, they would start to argue. They were irritated with each other presence which in the end would bring a fight and later on Tiffany and Seohyun would work hard to calm both of them down.
 
“That’s none of your business.” Yul said glaring at YoonA. “Tiffany doesn’t mind with that.” Yul hissed while looking deep into YoonA’s eyes cynically.
 
YoonA turned around and faced Tiffany. “Don’t let him keep on cheating on your work, Fany-ah.”
 
Tiffany smiled. “Relax, Yoong. I know what I’m doing. Besides, do you think he dares to cheat on my work under Jesse’s oppa surveillance? I don’t think so.”
 
“I hope you’re right.” YoonA whispered, disappointed with Tiffany’s answer.
 
“Seohyun. You are going to be with Tiffany right?” Yul asked.
 
“Most probably, yes. I and YoonA unnie will be with Tiffany unnie. Why oppa?” Seohyun asked curiously.
 
“No. It’s just Jesse hyung asked me to protect Fany while he’s away. So, I guess I could leave Fany with you and that annoying YoonA. I should go to my basketball practice now.”
 
“What did you say?” YoonA who heard what Yul said, felt angry.
 
“What?? You admit that you’re annoying?” Yul smirked, slightly feeling happy that he successfully annoyed YoonA.
 
“No, I don’t. Since when I admit that I’m annoying.” YoonA gritted her teeth and answered Yul. She breathed heavily, trying to calm herself down.
 
“That... being angry and stuffs.” Yul stated calmly and pointed his hand at YoonA. He then chuckled and turned around walking back towards the school building.
 
“You...” Yul heard YoonA mumbled, but he quickly said, “Okay then, I’ll leave Fany to both of you.” He said slightly turning his head around. “Bye... and see you later Fany-ah.” He ran quickly towards the school building because the basketball field is located behind their school building.
 
“Both of you always quarrel, just like cat and dog.” Tiffany chuckled.
 
“I don’t understand. How could you stand being his friend? Besides, he’s the one that keeps on looking for trouble from me.” YoonA complained to Tiffany. There’s a frown on YoonA’s face.
 
“I’ve known him far away before I met you guys. He saved me before and coincidentally he’s the son of my father’s friend. So those are the reasons why he’s closed with me and Jesse oppa. Hmm, now that I mention Jesse oppa, where’s he?” Tiffany looked to the senior’s high school gate, which was on her right, but still there wasn’t any sign of Jesse.
 
Suddenly, Tiffany’s phone rang. She saw ‘J-oppa’ written on the screen of her phone. Then, she accepted the call.
“Hello, oppa. Where are you?”
 
“Fany-ah. You can go home first. You can ask Yul to accompany you. I must help the teacher to run some errands. I might be late, so you don’t need to wait. Just go home.” Jesse stated. Sorry Fany-ah, I lied.
 
“Are you sure, oppa? Do you need me to help you?” Tiffany said, full of concern.
 
“Yup, and you don’t need to help me. Just go home, directly. Don’t do anything dangerous, because I’m not around.”
 
“What dangerous thing can I do?” Tiffany said, confused.
 
“Cooking??” Jesse chuckled. He could imagined the pout that his sister would give.
 
“Like you yourself can cook.” Tiffany said sticking out her tongue, as if her brother could see it.
 
“I can’t and it doesn’t really matter, because I’m a guy.”
 
“But a guy that can cook is really cool.” Tiffany reasoned, as she tried to defend herself.
 
“Let’s stop, before our argument getting longer. Go home, NOW. When I’m done, I’ll go straight home. So you don’t need to worry.”
 
“Okay then, oppa. Don’t come home late, okay.” Tiffany pressed ‘end’ button and turned to her friends.
 
“So, YoonA and Seohyun, should we study now or how?” Tiffany asked both of her friends.
 
“Let’s study, Fany. There’re some questions that I don’t know what the answers are.” YoonA said.
 
“I’m in, unnie. There’re some Physics questions that I don’t understand too.” Seohyun chimed in.
 
Three of them walked towards Tiffany’s house which was just a few blocks away from the school.
 
“I also need some help from you and YoonA in my Physics. There’re some that I don’t know. Let’s see whether you or YoonA can solve it or not. If all of us don’t know the solution, let’s just hope that Jesse oppa comes back before both of you go home.” Tiffany said looking at Seohyun.
 
“Jesse oppa really helps us a lot. We should really thank you, Fany.” YoonA said admiringly.
 
“Are you going to be like those fan girls that my oppa hates very much? I never thought that you’re one of oppa’s fan girls.” Fany teased.
 
“Of course not. Those fan girls are too scary. I understand why Jesse oppa hates them very much.” YoonA said.
 
“Unnie, why doesn’t Jesse oppa go home with us?” Seohyun asked.
 
“Oh, he said that he must run some errands for his teacher. YoonA, I know your crush to my brother.” Fany looked at YoonA and smiled. YoonA’s cheek turned pink from Fany’s teasing. Seohyun who saw this, also smiled widely.
 
“YoonA unnie, it’s too obvious. Whenever we study together, you always secretly look at Jesse oppa. When he came home, you always look at him admiringly. Not to mention, your attitude changes when Jesse oppa is around.” Seohyun explained like a teacher, while Fany grinned and nodded excitedly. YoonA was blushing madly, hearing what Seohyun said.
 
“But unnie, I thought that besides Jesse oppa, I always think that you have something with Yul oppa too.” When Seohyun finished that sentence, YoonA looked directly at her.
 
“With Yul, that’s impossible. That’s the most impossible thing. I and he are never going to work out.” YoonA said every single word sharply.
 
“Don’t say those kinds of things. You never know, Yoong. Maybe someday you’re the one who’s falling for him and I don’t know that the way you think of Yul is that bad.” Tiffany said, pushing the gate of her house.
 
“He’s always that bad in front of my eyes. So, we better not mention him anymore. It’s ruining my good mood.” YoonA said.
 
Tiffany opened the door. They walked in and sat on the table, starting their study group and of course, they had a small chat once in a while.
 
***
 
Jesse walked on the street, the same route that he uses every day to go home, enjoying the moment, the giggling of the kids that chased each other. He smiled looking at them. Suddenly, a ball hit his leg. He slightly kicked the ball which is now on the ground, until a girl came to him.
 
“I’m sorry. That belongs to my brother.” The girl said pointing to the ball. “I told him to be careful. Luckily, you’re not injured. Once more, I apologize on my brother’s behalf. I’m really sorry.” The girl smiled.
 
“It’s okay. I’m not injured though. Is that your brother?” Jesse said pointing to a little boy wearing a blue shirt.
“Yes. He is the one.” The girl nodded.
 
Jesse took the ball and held it on his right hand. He walked to the boy. The little boy ran to his sister and hid behind her leg.
 
Jesse turned around and looked at the little boy. “I’m not going to scold you. Your sister has apologized on your behalf.”
 
Jesse walked closer to the boy and he knelt down. Now, he is as tall as the little boy. “Here.” Jesse said as he handed the ball and the boy eagerly took it.
 
“Listen. Next time, if you are the one who make a mistake, you must be the one who apologize, okay? Be a brave boy.” Jesse said as he stood up and then patted the little boy’s head.
 
“I’m sorry.” The little boy apologized and bowed down.
 
“Apology’s accepted. You don’t need to bow.” Jesse chuckled. This was one rare moment for other people to see his warm smile. “Okay, then. I must leave. Bye.” Jesse said as he waved goodbye to the girl and the little boy. That kind of bonding between siblings always reminds him of the girl with an eye-smile, his little sister, Tiffany. Both of them, just like me and Tiffany. Luckily, I have a sister like her. I can’t imagine my life without her.
 
“Bye. By the way, what’s your name?” the girl suddenly asked.
 
“I’m Jesse.” Just like that Jesse left them alone. Weird, asking for my name, but it’s okay As long as, she's not one of those fan-girls. Telling someone your name, won’t hurt right? Maybe she’s just feeling sorry. Besides it’s not like I’m going to meet her again.
 
“He’s Jesse. Then, I’m correct. Even fate was in my side, who will think that when my brother kicked his ball, it apparently landed on his leg. God is really helping me today. My plan in destroying your happiness, Tiffany, is going to come true. Sooner or later, your happiness will end. And I’ll start taking it from your most precious one, which is your beloved brother. Just wait.” The evil grin appeared on the girl’s face. She looked at the back of Jesse who was slowly walking further.
 
“Noona, let’s play.” The boy dragged his sister away. The innocent kid still didn’t know that her sister had just used him for the evil plan that his sister had just made.