Chapter 4

Loving You with a Broken Heart

 

Jesse and Tiffany walked side by side. The morning sunlight warmed their body. They walked slowly and enjoyed the moment. They didn’t need to hurry since their school was quite close to their house.
 
Jesse took a slight glance to his sister. The sunlight fell on his sister face and sharpened the feature of her face which made her looked really beautiful. He also felt that she’s getting more beautiful recently, though he didn’t know why. He also felt tingling sensation which made him confuse. But a slight pout didn’t miss his sight which made him stop his thinking. He knew this must because of his teasing. There’s a small smile on his face.
 
Jesse fastened his pace and stopped in front of Tiffany which made her had questioning look on her face. He stared at her warmly, “Still angry?”
 
“No, who said that I am angry?” Tiffany denied it, and looked away. I hate it when I can’t hide anything from oppa.
 
“That is the sign that you’re lying. When you lie, you never stare right into my eyes which means you’re angry.” Jesse smiled triumphantly.
 
“Fine, I’m angry. So what?” this time, she looked into his eyes. Jesse was still staring at her warmly.
 
“Are you angry because that I teased you just now, or is there any other reason?” Jesse raised his left eye-brow and smiled.
 
“Both.” Tiffany said coldly, still staring at Jesse. Why my heart beats this fast when oppa looks at me like that.
 
“What is the other reason?” Jesse asked curiously.
 
“Secret.” Tiffany walked through Jesse’s side and Jesse chased her. He again stopped in front of her.
 
“I’m sorry, okay? Let me make it up to you.” Jesse said and he offered his hand for Tiffany to hold, “May I?”
 
Tiffany considered whether she should hold his brother hand or not. “Come on, my cute little sister.” Jesse persuaded. Jesse smiled warmly and waiting for Tiffany to hold his hand. Actually there’re some people looking at them, but both of them didn’t care. They were like lost in their own little world.
 
After putting some thoughts, Tiffany in the end held his hand. “Let’s go, my sister. And please forgive me?” he looked at her with his puppy eyes. This time Tiffany will forgive me.
 
“Let’s go, oppa. I forgive you.” Tiffany sighed, she knew the moment Jesse used his puppy eyes; she would forgive him. Jesse smiled and pumped his fist up in the air.
 
“Give me your bag. I’ll carry it for you.” Jesse offered after he cooled down.
 
“It’s okay, oppa. I can carry it by myself.” Jesse creased his eye-brows. Tiffany sighed, “Fine, I’m not a little baby, oppa. You always carry my bag since we were elementary school students until now. I can actually carry it by myself.”
 
“You always will be a little baby for me. Besides, I’m your oppa, so I guess it’s nothing wrong right, helping my sister carry her bag. Eat your breakfast.” Jesse answered softly.
 
They held each other’s hand and continue their journey to school. Tiffany enjoyed her breakfast, while Jesse watched Tiffany once in a while. She’s really getting more beautiful, wait... Why am I having a thought like this? Can I have this kind of thought? Hmm... I guess my sister has really grown up. One day, we won’t be able to play like this anymore... I guess I should just stop thinking. Stupid mind, always ruins my beautiful moment with those sad thoughts. There’s a tint of sadness in Jesse’s eyes, and Tiffany saw it when she took a glance at her brother.
 
“Something bothers you, oppa?” Tiffany stopped walking which made Jesse stopped too.
 
“Nothing serious.” Jesse tried to convince Tiffany. He started to walk, making it looked like he’s dragging Tiffany.
 
“Don’t forget you can tell me anything, oppa. Just like I always tell you about my problems.” Tiffany said and she earned a nod from Jesse. How can I tell you, Fany-ah. One day, we can’t play like this anymore, because I don’t even know how long I can live. I just hope we can have more time together, before I leave you, or you leave me...
 
They were getting closer to their school. They could see students getting into the front gate of the school. Finally, they reached the front gate. Both of them still holding each other’s hand, not wanting to let go, but one of them should. So, Tiffany chose to let go of Jesse’s hand. They stood in front of the gate. Jesse handed Tiffany, her bag. Actually, he wanted to walk his sister to her class, but he afraid that he would disturb Tiffany’s private time. He didn’t want Tiffany to be angry with him, because she thought that he was a possessive brother, so he just let Tiffany went to her class by herself.
 
Jesse could hear his fan girls said, “Jesse oppa is here. Wah, he’s still as handsome as usual. I hope he will come here often.” As usual, he just shrugged it off. People around him knew him as a cold person, and he didn’t mind. The people that were closed to him also seldom saw his warm self. They only saw it once in a while. The only person that could always see his warm self was Tiffany.
 
“Should I walk you to your class?” Jesse asked just to make sure. He was still sort of worried of his sister.
 
“It’s okay, oppa. YoonA and Seohyun are waiting for me. I’ll go with them.” Tiffany smiled, pointing at the two girls who’re taking a shade under a tree. The two girls waved at Jesse, which made Jesse waved back.
 
“Okay, then. Remember, if you want to go anywhere make sure someone accompany you, okay. If something happen, text me, I’ll come to you directly.” Jesse said worriedly.
 
“Okay, oppa. I’ll be going. Oppa, go now, I don’t want you to be late.” Tiffany said. As she turned Jesse around and she slightly pushed Jesse.
 
“Our school is just next to each other, even if the bell rings, I still can manage to get to the class on time.” Jesse smiled. He signalled Tiffany to go to her friends. He turned around and walked towards his school.
 
“Jesse!!!” He turned around and saw Gyuri running towards him, while Tiffany heard someone was calling for Jesse, also turned around. Gyuri hooked her arm to Jesse’s. For those who didn’t know must be thinking that Gyuri was his girlfriend, but for Jesse, Gyuri was just one annoying girl that always follows him around since she knew him.
 
“Why must you always follow me around? Just let go, okay. We’re not a couple or something.” Jesse warned Gyuri and stared at her sharply.
 
Jesse unhooked their arms, and walked towards his school, leaving Gyuri behind. Tiffany saw what Gyuri did, and somehow she felt happy when Jesse didn’t really care of Gyuri, though she knew that it was wrong. Hmm, I need to text oppa later. She should not be rude to people, especially girls. Aish, this oppa, I told him for how many times already, but still, he couldn’t change. There’s a weird feeling when I saw Gyuri unnie held Jesse’s oppa hand, what is it? Tiffany shook her head, stopping her thoughts.
 
Gyuri ran to Jesse, but this time she just followed him from behind. Gyuri tried to smile although her heart was hurting. Jesse, when will you look at me? After all this time, I tried to be your friend, but you never really care. What should I do to make you look at me? Even if you don’t, I will not give up. That’s the promise that I made to myself since the first time I met you.
 
Tiffany walked to her friends, and they went to their class together. While Jesse walked straight to his class with girls looking at him and Gyuri was still following him, he just shook his head. He knew that his school life would be disturbed by Gyuri and those fan girls again.
 
***
Tiffany, Seohyun and YoonA reached their classroom. Tiffany sat on the first row since there wasn’t any place left on the back row. Actually, she wanted to sit on the second row, but the place had been taken by her friends, Seohyun and YoonA. Sitting on the first row isn’t fun, what if I’m bored later, I can’t do anything, Tiffany thought. She decided to persuade either Seohyun or YoonA to exchange their seat with hers. She turned around to face YoonA who was now preparing for the lesson.
 
“Yoong, will you exchange your seat with me?” Tiffany pleaded.
 
“Fany, your place is on the first row. Do you know the teacher like to ask the students on the first row to answer the question?” YoonA looked unsure whether she should exchange their seat or not.
 
“But you’re smart enough, so it doesn’t really matter. Please, exchange your seat with mine.” Tiffany pleaded, this time with her puppy eyes look.
 
“Why suddenly you want to exchange seat? The reason must not be because you’re afraid of the teacher to ask you answering the question, since you’re the smartest student in our year.” YoonA guessed. “There must be some other reason.” YoonA smirked, she knew there must be something that made her smart friend wanted to sit at the back row, although the second row didn’t count as the back row, but still it’s better than the first row. YoonA usually is a quiet and reserved girl but if she was together with Tiffany or Seohyun, she’ll become a cheerful girl and sometimes she could also tease or play with them.
 
“I’m going to ask Seohyun. I knew it’s really difficult to ask something from you, because you’ll always tease me for whatever reason that I give you.” Tiffany gave up. She walked to Seohyun whose table was just right beside YoonA. She had opened her book and read something, Seohyun is the second smartest student in their year, and YoonA is the third. When they’re together, they’re called as ‘Triple As’. Why? The answer is very easy. It is because their scores are always A, whether it is A+, A or A-. So, they’re sort of popular in their school, because of their smartness and kindness.
 
“Hyun... will you exchange your seat with mine?” Tiffany looked at Seohyun pleadingly.
 
“Umm... unnie, but the teacher will arrange the seat for us again right? This is just for temporary.” Seohyun always called YoonA and Tiffany as her unnie, because she was younger from them for 1 year. She got to school earlier than the others, so she’s now here with Tiffany and YoonA.
 
“Yeah, you’re right.” Tiffany just realized that the teacher would arrange their seat every new semester of teaching.
 
“Ah... I forgot something.” Tiffany suddenly mumbled. She hurriedly ran to her bag and took out her mobile phone. She started to write a message.
 
To : J oppa
Oppa~ I’ve arrived at my class safely. So you don’t need to worry.smiley  
Oppa!!! Why are you that rude to Gyuri unnie?? I told you for how many times, you must be kind to people especially girls and elders. frown
 
Tiffany pressed send and waited for the reply. She sat down and tapped her table. Not long after that, her phone vibrated. She quickly press opened.
 
From: J oppa
Are you bipolar?? For a while you’re full of aegyo but the next moment you scold me. Huh...
I’m kind to the elders, but girls.... I don’t know. I don’t have time to think of girls because I’m busy taking care of my clumsy little sister.cheeky  
Gotta go... continue your rambling at home... see yah...
Oh, our school bell will ring in 5 counts... start counting now. And you’ll know I’m right... hehe...
 
Tiffany started to count. “One... Two... Three... Four... Five...” And the bell rang.
 
“How could oppa predict it so perfectly?” Tiffany mumbled. She kept her mobile phone, while her classmates quickly went to their seat. The teacher got in, and they cheered happily. It’s their last year homeroom teacher, Ms Lee, she’s very kind to her students, that’s why they were very happy getting her as the homeroom teacher again.
 
“Okay, keep quiet.” The whole class turned silent. They respect Mrs Lee very much, so they never wanted to disappoint her trust for them.
 
“It’s really nice to meet all of you again.” Mrs Lee smiled. “I want all of you to keep the good grade like last year.”
 
“We’ll try our best!!” the whole class shouted.
 
“There’s an announcement for all of you. Since most of the students council members had graduated, this include the students council president and vice president, so we need to find another student council president and later on he/she will choose the rest of the council members. So I hope, we can have one or two representatives from our class and later the class president can give me the candidates of the student council president after all of you discuss about it.” All of the students nodded in agreement. Then, Mrs Lee continued, “So, now, we are going to point who’ll be our class president, after that, of course, we’ll take care of the seating arrangement. But before that, I’m going to ask someone a question about being a class president. This is my own choice. Tiffany, will you be the class president again this year?” Mrs Lee looked at Tiffany.
 
“Umm... it’s not that I don’t want to, but it’s better if someone else be the class president this year. I want them to have experience in leading too.” Tiffany said.
 
“Okay then.” Mrs Lee nodded understandingly. “So, Tiffany, any candidates for the class president? I believe you saw some potential in your classmates all this time being the class president.”
 
Tiffany thinking for a while, before saying, “I think Onew has the leading capability.” Tiffany smiled.
 
“Ah... okay then. We have a candidate now. Anyone wants to try to be the class president or all of you agree that Onew be our new class president?”
 
The students looked at each other, looking whether there’s anyone that was going to volunteer themselves to be the candidate or not. “So, how’s it?” the teacher asked.
 
“No one?” Ms Lee looked at her students. “Okay then. Anyone disagree Onew being our new class president?”
 
“I don’t think I have that capability.” Onew suddenly said.
 
“But if you don’t try it, you never know.” Tiffany turned around and told him. Everyone stared at both of them. Looking how far, the argument was going to be.
 
“I’m not a confident person like you.” Onew hissed and stared at Tiffany.
 
“I’m also not, but that’s what Jesse oppa always tells me.” She looked down. “So, I hope you’ll try before you give up.” She raised her head and looked into his eyes.
 
The whole class looked at them. They couldn’t agree more that Tiffany had this charm, which could boost someone hope and confidence. Like when they had a class project last year, when all of them were desperate, she’s the one who’s not giving up. Not only that, she also gave support for them all the way. She was the best class president that the whole class could hope for.
 
Onew kept quiet and the whole class was looking at him. He finally made up his mind, “I’ll try my best and won’t disappoint you guys.” Onew looked at Tiffany and nodded. Tiffany just smiled, of course, with her signature eye-smile.
 
“Okay, now we’re going to choose the class vice president.” Ms Lee said.
 
Again, the whole class looked at each other. When suddenly, a knock on the door was heard, a guy was panting hard.
 
“I’m sorry Ms Lee, I’m late.” He said, still trying to catch his breath.
 
“Kwon Yul!!! You again!” Yul just scratched his head and smiled smugly. “Why it must always be you, who is late. Next time if you’re late again, I’ll make sure you get a punishment.” Ms Lee shook her head. “Now, go and sit beside Tiffany, since that’s the only place left.”
 
“Yes, miss.” He bowed and quickly walked towards the seat, which was just right in front of Seohyun.
 
The whole class looked at Yul and shook their head. They knew that the only student in their class that always makes Ms Lee angry was only Kwon Yul, the mischievous student and prankster at school. They also wondered how could Tiffany, the smartest and kindest person in the school, befriended with a guy like, Kwon Yul.
 
“Okay, back to where we were just now. Who is going to be our class vice president?” Ms Lee looked around the class and finally saw someone raising her hand, and that person was no other than Tiffany.
 
“If you don’t mind, Ms Lee, I want to be the class vice president, in order to help Onew with his duty later on.” Tiffany looked at Mrs Lee.
 
“I don’t mind. Does anyone in this class have a problem with it?” Ms Lee asked.
 
“No, miss.” Most of them kind of glad, Tiffany being their class vice president, in case that Onew didn’t do good with his duty, at least Tiffany would.
 
Ms Lee started to arrange their new seat, but Tiffany remained in her place, which sort of disappointed her. While Yul was sitting behind her, YoonA was sitting beside Yul, and Seohyun was sitting beside YoonA.
 
After Ms Lee finished arranging their seats, she started to teach. Around 45 minutes later, the bell rang and she ended the lesson. During the break time, the students congratulated Onew and Tiffany. They smiled happily. But among all of them, there’s someone that wasn’t really happy, jealousy filled that person’s heart, and that person promised to end Tiffany’s happiness.