Chapter 6

Loving You with a Broken Heart

 

It’s past midnight, but someone was still totally awake. Jesse’s staring at the ceiling while listening to the ticking clock. As usual, when someone couldn’t sleep, there would be a lot of things coming to that person’s mind. There’s something, bothering his mind. He knew what that was exactly. It’s about Tiffany, his sister. A lot of things about her were bothering him. What if something really bad happened to him? Who would protect his sister? When is the perfect time to tell her about his heart defect? Will she change when she knows about his condition? And many more... Actually there’re still some questions that were coming out of his mind, but he just didn’t brave enough to actually say it out loud. Those questions were about his feelings towards his sister. He knew that something had changed but he couldn’t pinpoint exactly what it was.
 
Tick... tock... tick... tock...
 
He sat up, and leaned on the headboard. I need to freshen up myself. So, he moved towards his study table, opened up the curtain. He looked outside, before he decided to open up the window. The cold night breeze blew through the window and swept his face. Somehow, it calmed him down. Those thoughts just stopped coming to his mind. He enjoyed the silent night. The only sound that he could hear was just the clock’s ticking and the sound of the crickets. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then slowly released it. He repeated it for a few times.
 
He opened his eyes and looked towards the sky. It’s cloudy which sort of unfortunate for him. Actually, I hope to see some stars tonight. Feeling that the night was getting colder, he decided to close the window. When he moved his hands towards the window, he stopped because he saw a glimpse of bottles, bottles of his medicine. He held the bottle and looked at it. For how long, I’m going to eat these. I wish I could stop and be like those healthy people. No need to depend on medicines to keep them alive.
 
He put the bottle back and closed his window. He walked out of his room and went down to the kitchen. He took a glass of water and sat down on the sofa. Then, he saw the pictures of him, Tiffany and his parents. He smiled thinking of the memories, but then he frowned. Now, I can survive with medicine. What if one day I need a transplant? And as long as I know, it’s difficult to find a suitable one. What if when that time comes, there isn’t any for me, and I can’t live any longer. Then, I’ll be pieces of memories for them.
 
The sound of footsteps surprised Jesse. He quickly wiped the tears that flowed down from his eyes.
 
“Oppa, you haven’t slept yet?” Tiffany with sleepy eyes walked towards Jesse.
 
“Can’t sleep yet. What about you? I can see that you’ve fallen asleep. What makes you wake up?” Jesse said. His voice was a bit hoarse, so he’s hoping that Tiffany didn’t sense anything wrong with him.
 
“Says the person who can sleep anywhere and anytime.” Tiffany chuckled, before she continued. “I woke up for a while then I felt thirsty, that’s why I’m here.” She plopped into the sofa and she was beside Jesse. She took the glass from Jesse’s hand.
 
“Hey. That’s my water.” Jesse complained. He tried to snatch it back, but he saw Tiffany had already drunk it.
 
“Thanks.” Tiffany wiped and smiled at her brother. Suddenly, she stopped her smile and knitted her eyebrows.
 
“Oppa, you cried, didn’t you?” Tiffany looked straight into his eyes. He turned away and just looked straight.
 
“No. Maybe it’s just because I can’t sleep.” Jesse stood up and took his glass. After filling his glass, he came back and found Tiffany eyeing at him suspiciously.
 
“I know something bugging you. You can tell me anything like the way I tell you.” Tiffany kept her gaze on Jesse.
Jesse sighed and took his seat back beside Tiffany. He turned and faced Tiffany. He found Tiffany gaze was mesmerizing, but that’s not the point at that time. He could see what was in Tiffany’s mind, what are you hiding from me, oppa?
 
Tiffany knew that when her brother didn’t tell her anything about what’s bugging him, it’s because he didn’t want her to be worried. But being a good sister, how could she stand still when her brother needed her? Tiffany realized that her brother has forgotten that they’re so close until they knew what each other was going to say without actually saying it. Just one look in the eyes, and they could get the answer. This was what Tiffany was trying to do.
 
The moment Tiffany looked into his eyes, it’s like his eyes were telling her that her brother was frightened. But Tiffany didn’t know what was his brother frightened of?
 
“You’re trying to read me, didn’t you?” Jesse’s face hardened and his eyebrows were creased, one of the sign that he’s annoyed or angry.
 
“Read you? Oppa, you think I have a superpower?” Tiffany pretended not to know about it.
 
“Seriously, Fany. I’ll tell you when the time is right. So stop trying to pry for the answer. Even if you want to read me, don’t make a clear gesture. I can see your eyes are telling me something. But I guess you’ve read me a bit, before I finally realized that you’ve tricked me.” Jesse said in an annoyed tone.
 
“Oppa, I only know that you’re scared...” yes, Fany... I’m scared of losing you.
 
“But, you must know that I’ll always be there for you.” Fany smiled. You can see confidence and determination in her eyes.
 
Jesse just smiled, “Come on. Go back to sleep. I start to feel sleepy, now.” Jesse stood up, leaving Fany behind. “You don’t want to, I’ll go by myself.”
 
“Oppa, wait.” Fany made a small run to Jesse. “Oppa~~” but before Tiffany continued her words, Jesse stopped her first.
 
“Don’t tell me you are going to ask me to lull you to sleep.” Jesse answered trying to escape. It actually doesn’t matter for him to lull his sister to sleep but for today he barely could close his eyes and when he started to feel sleepy, he should not waste it.
 
“Please... oppa.” Tiffany tugged his shirt.
 
Jesse stopped and contemplated whether he should do it or not. He scratched his head and sighed.
 
“Fine. You better go into your dream world faster. If I’m suffering tomorrow because of my lack of sleep, I surely won’t lull you to sleep anymore.” Jesse uttered.
 
Tiffany grinned happily, like a little child that was just given a candy. She quickly jumped onto her bed and pulled her blanket until her neck. Jesse took a seat on the floor. He leaned his back on the night stand, and he held his sister’s hand. He started to hum a song for his sister.
 
***
 
Tiffany walked on the corridor, holding the papers that their history teacher asked her to take and hand to the class. Actually, this was supposed to be Onew’s job, but apparently at this time he was asked to go to the principal’s office. These are heavy. Tiffany struggled to carry all those papers.
 
“Need any help?” Tiffany heard the voice that she’s really familiar with.
 
“Of course, I do.” Tiffany smiled to the guy who’s standing in front of her, now.
 
He took some of the papers from Tiffany. “Why don’t you ask one of our classmates to help you?”
 
“Yul, it’s not like I don’t want to. But they’re studying for the quiz.”
 
“You don’t study?” Yul asked, raising one of his eyebrows. “Ah, I remember. You’re one of the ‘Triple-As’. Why don’t you ask two other ‘As’ to help you?”
 
“Have you studied? That’s the most important thing.”
 
“Don’t be that scary. Are we really going to have a quiz? Maybe B-class is just trying to trick us, you know them.” Yul said as he stopped.
 
Now, they have reached their class. The class has never been this quiet before, especially when it’s recess. All of A-class students were busy flipping their Maths book. Some of the students went to Seohyun and YoonA to ask them about the lesson that they didn’t understand. Seeing this condition, Yul knew why Tiffany couldn’t ask Seohyun or YoonA for help.
 
“Fany-ah, what’s that?” one of her classmates asked, pointing to the stack of papers on Tiffany and Yul’s hand.
 
All heads turned to face Yul and Tiffany. All of them looked at them confusedly. Tiffany walked to the teacher’s table and put the papers away.
 
“Maybe it’s not really a good news, right now. Since all of you are busy studying. But still I need to tell you guys.” Tiffany stopped to catch a breath for a while, she then continued. “It’s the history exercises, with the total 20 questions. The day to submit this is next Monday. So we have around 5 days to do it.”
 
“Ah...” the whole class whined. “Mr Kang is just too much.” One of them said.
 
“So, please one by one comes out and takes the exercise.” Tiffany said.
 
“Yul, have you studied?” Tiffany said while handing the papers.
 
“Nope.” Yul calmly stated. “Why did all of you believe what B-class said easily?”
 
“Even if it’s not true, at least we have reviewed our lesson. So, it’ll help us too when we really have test, Yul.” Tiffany reasoned. “Besides, if there really is a quiz, all of us will have a good mark. That’s good, isn’t it? And we won’t disappoint Ms Lee. So, I suggest you to review the book.”
 
“Fine. I’ll look at the book.” Yul walked to his table and started reading his book.
 
“Wow, Fany-ah. How could you do that?” Minho, one of Tiffany’s classmates, curiously asked.
 
“Do what?” Tiffany was confused by the question.
 
“That.” Minho pointed at Yul. “Asking him to study. Are you guys dating?” Minho suddenly asked, which made Tiffany’s blushed.
 
“No, we aren’t dating. We are just best friend.” Minho smiled looking at the flustered Tiffany, but he decided not to .
 
While handing the papers, Tiffany secretly watched the serious Yul studying. She smiled when she saw Yul’s pouting. Something must have troubled him. Not long after that, Yul smiled. It seems that he had solved the problem. 
 
“Unnie, stop looking at Yul oppa like that.” Seohyun the last person who got the paper said.
 
“I... I... don’t” Tiffany stammered and her face turned pink again. Then, she just walked to her seat and started review her book. Ah, this is embarrassing. Gosh, I can’t concentrate now.
 
“Fany... Hello??” Onew waved his hand in front of Tiffany. YoonA who saw this, nudged Tiffany.
 
“Ye...yes...” Tiffany stuttered and looked at Onew.
 
“Can we talk for a while?” Tiffany nodded. Both of them walked out of the class, but the others were looking at both of them through the glass. Though what they were saying wasn’t heard by them but they’re really curious. When there’s this kind of scene, people never let it go easily. As we know, this kind of scene was the source of gossip and teasing. However, among them, a pair of angry eyes watched both of them.
 
“Okay. What’s the important thing that we can’t say it in the class?” confusion was written all over Tiffany’s face.
 
“It’s about Yul.” Onew looked troubled.
 
“Okay. Although this is making me confused, what happened to Yul?”
 
“The principal called me and said that one of the parents complained about Yul’s behaviour that keeps on playing pranks. So, now the principal is asking us to warn Yul and punish Yul before the principal himself punishes him.”
 
“I myself that’s going to give him the punishment. I’ve warned him for quite some times. And now the thing that I’m afraid the most really happens.” Tiffany said furiously. Tiffany has never been so angry like right now. She had told Yul to stop playing pranks, but he never wants to listen.
 
If you guys wondered why Yul hasn’t been suspended until now, it’s because he’s the best in sports. So, he’s a good asset for the school. The only problem is Yul, likes to play prank on others. That’s the reason why the principal let the class president to punish him.
 
“I wonder how can you stand befriend with him?” Onew stated. “I mean, you know that he’s the naughtiest kid in school and yet you still being a good friend with him. I know I don’t have right to decide who you should befriend with, but... I don’t think with Yul is the right thing to do. Sorry, If I mind your business too much.”
 
Tiffany just kept mum. She quickly slide the door open and walked towards Yul. She pulled his right ear.
 
“I told you for how many times, Yul. Stop playing pranks. You want to get suspended.” Tiffany scolded Yul, disappointment could be seen in her eyes.
 
The whole class turned silent. No one dares to speak right now. They’ve never seen Tiffany been this angry before. This is the very first time.
 
“What do you mean?” Yul touched his ear. “I don’t get anything.”
 
“One of the parents complained about your pranks. The principal asked us to punish you. I’ve never been this disappointed before.” Tiffany looked away. She felt disappointed because all this time, she’s the one who believes in Yul, when all of them doubt him. Now, this case appears and all she could feel is just disappointment.
 
“Come on. It’s just a prank, okay. It’s not like I hurt or kill someone.” Yul stated nonchalantly.
 
“Yul, you’re really!!!” Tiffany lost for words. “Fine. Do whatever you want? I won’t care anymore.” Tiffany walked away and shook her head. “I’ll tell Ms Lee about you. I can’t stand this anymore. I’ll let her punish you.” Tiffany could feel that she was going to cry, so she just ran out of the class.
 
Yul realized that his words were too much, especially for the only person in the class that trusts him that actually he’s not as bad as all of the people thought. But, still his pride was bigger than his regret. So, he just stayed at his place and looked at her running away.
 
***
 
“Ack.. this is because I fell asleep in Tiffany’s room. Now, my back hurts so much.” Jesse mumbled as he sat in the library. He was avoiding his enemies. He was afraid if he lost his temper and made things worse. He scanned his surrounding, and found one secure place. There’s no one there, because that is the place where people visit the least. So, he stood up from his seat and walked towards there. He sat down on the seat which apparently is beside the window. This place is the best.
 
He was bored, so he looked out of the window. After quite some time, he looked back to the library. By chance, he saw Gyuri was studying. “If she isn’t that clingy, maybe we can become friend.”
 
In the end, he decided to take a nap. He crossed his hands on the table and rested his head on top of his hands.
“Jesse, wake up. The bell has rung.” Gyuri nudged Jesse.
 
Jesse slowly fluttered his eyes opened. He looked at Gyuri and rubbed his face. He didn’t know that Gyuri’s heart was beating crazily.
 
“Hey. Thanks.” Jesse said with indifferent tone. I wonder why her face is very red.
 
Gyuri heard what Jesse said almost jumped up and down happily on her place. But still, she decided to bid goodbye to Jesse.
 
Jesse stood up from his place, and looked out of the window once more. The window showed the picture of his old school which is Tiffany’s school now. Huh, I must face those two most annoying guys again. Then, he decided to go back to his class.