Swings

Miss Popular, Nerd in Disguise

Swings

a/n: I kind of changed my writing style in my almost year long hiatus lol

Gomen guys u _ u gomen

 

“I seriously can’t believe that you did that,” Sungyeol gushed, as he laughed and shoveled a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

“I can’t either,” I replied, as I chuckled.

“That was a gold moment right there. Maybe you really are Haikyn’s sister. She’s really good at comebacks,” Dongwoo snickered.

“Nerd or not, she’s has a sharp tongue,” Sunggyu agreed.

I smiled a bit.

“So you guys like my sister?” I asked, as Myungsoo put his arm around me.

“Uh, definitely not,” Sungjong informed, as he shook his head.

“She has her moments, but she’s still a bit nerdy for our tastes.”

“Hmm, true. She doesn’t go out a lot either,” I shrugged, as I agreed with Infinite.

Funny, they’re insulting me, and all I can do is agree. Maybe I do need to go out more. It’s definitely not them that makes the teachers seem bias--it’s me. It’s my thoughts.

“You used to hate your sister with a passion though,” Woohyun chortled.

“Yeah, what happened?” Hoya asked, as he looked at me with curious eyes.

“You can tell us babe, we won’t judge,” Myungsoo told me, as he ate some of his soup.

I bit my lip, as their attention was on me. What changed me? I have to make up some backup story, right?

“Well, before the two of us seperated, she was always the top student in the class. My parents were always prouder of her than me, and I hated it. All she had to do was study for a few hours, hang out with SHINee, and take practice tests, while I would study for more hours and still be failing in comparsion to her,” I started, as I looked down, feeling guilty of such a lie.

Some of it was true though. My parents used to compare me to my cousin all the time. I swore to myself that I would beat her one day, and I am. Right now, I am the top student in all of Seoul Academy, and there’s nothing that’s going to stop it.

“So when I moved to New York, I changed up my looks, and tried to fit in more. I did eventually, and I started to get better with my work. My parents still favor Haikyn more though, so I guess I’m still not doing anything right,” I muttered, as I felt Myungsoo’s grip tighten on me.

“Parents these days… I don’t get why they would like her more. Haikyn’s nice and smart, I guess, but she’s not sweet nor caring to anyone but SHINee. And she’s a hypocrite. I always overhear her saying that the teachers are biased, but it’s not the teachers that are biased; it’s her,” Myungsoo said, as he rolled his eyes.

“Plus she pushes people out of her way to be on top,” Sunggyu nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve noticed that. Jonghyun is actually pretty smart, and I’ve seen him give her answers half of the time because she’s not paying attention in class,” Woohyun snorted.

“You, however, are not like that at all! Well, I guess you don’t pay attention in class either, but who does? Mr. Baekh will be the death of us one day,” Sungyeol deadpanned.

Sungjong scoffed at Sungyeol for getting off topic.

“Anyways, noona, you’re a lot nicer than Haikyn. And you take critism very well.”

“The point is, Junae, is that you’re a lot better than Haikyn, so don’t let her bring you down. Just because your parents think differently, doesn’t mean we do,” Hoya explained, as he gave her a reassuring smile.

“Yeah noona! Plus, you won’t glare at me, just because I hang out with these hyungs,” Sunjong nodded.

And that’s when I realized it: I was a hypocrite.  I was the one who falsely labeled them as rude and arrogant, when I was one as well. They were only mean to me, because I was mean to them first. I snapped out of my thoughts, before I gave them a quick smile.

“Thanks guys…”

They’re really caring, now that I think about it. I feel really bad for pretending to be someone I’m not now. Maybe this experiment was worth it though.

“Anyways, moving on from this super-totally serious conversion, how was your date yesterday Woohyun?” Sungyeol smirked, as he looked at Woohyun with a creepy expression, trying to make him crack.

Woohyun pinked a bit, as he looked down at his fingers. I almost wanted to pinch his cheeks at how embarassed he looked. However, something was nagging me on the inside about how they all felt about me. They were all seriously nice, but I’m the one who isn’t the fair one. I’m the biased one, not the teachers. Actually, maybe Mr. Baekh was a little biased, but I am the most guilty party. I only secluded myself to SHINee, and now that I think about it, Infinite wasn’t always mean to me. It was something that happened overtime, but I was just so hard headed that I thought that it was them being rude all the time.

“... Right Junae-yah?”

I looked up with a dazed expression. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, that I zoned out of the conversion.

“Uhm…” I hummed, as I smiled sheepishly at Sunggyu, “Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention.”

Hoya chuckled, before he said, “Sunggyu said something about the weather being nice tomorrow or something.”

“Uh… I think it might rain tomorrow?” I replied quizically, as I looked outside the window.

“See? I told you!” Sungjong grinned, as he pumped his fist up in victory.

Dongwoo snorted, “Just because Junae said it, doesn’t mean it’s going to be true.”

“It could be,” I shrugged with a small smirk.

Myungsoo chuckled, before he tightened his grip and said, “Yeah, it could be.”

“You guys are so biased,” Sunggyu frowned.

“Oh come on now, don’t be like Haikyn,” Sungyeol joked, as the whole table busted into laughter.

I gave a nervous laugh. Although I should be offended, I’m not. I deserve it, don’t I?

“Oh yeah, we’re going to that cafe today, right?” Myungsoo asked me, with a smile.

I smiled before I nodded.

“Yep,” I replied, as I brought my hand up and held his hand.

He held my hand back, before he said, “Okay good, cause I didn’t want to be rejected again.”

I laughed, forgetting my problems for a while.

“I won’t reject you this time, I promise.”


 

“Have fun on your date," Sungyeol snickered to Myungsoo, as he jabbed his elbow onto Myungsoo's side repeatedly.

Myungsoo scoffed,  before he whacked Sungyeol in the head and told him to knock it off. Sungyeol seemed to get the message, right after I started to laugh a little.

“Let’s go Junae-yah,” Myungsoo grinned, before he took my hand and led me away from the guys.

“Have fun noona!” Sungjong exclaimed, as he waved excitedly.

I chuckled a little at his cuteness. Geez, he’s growing on me. If I didn’t know better, I’d say that Sungjong and Taemin were friends. They were both still little kids at heart, plus, he was the only one I could really trust (you know, not including Myungsoo).

“Junae-yah,” Myungsoo called, before I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Hmm?” I hummed, as I turned my head to look at him.

Myungsoo smiled a bright smile, before he tightened his grip on my hand.

“Mind if I change the plans for today?” he asked me, as we walked out the school’s doors and to his car.

“Depends,” I replied, before I walked closer to him.

Myungsoo chuckled, before he added, “I think you’ll like it.”

After 20 minutes of driving, laughing, belting out kpop lyrics and two bubble tea stops later, Myungsoo stopped his car in front of a park. It was a park that I have never been to. The tree’s leaves were slowly transitioning into bright shades of yellows, oranges and reds, while the trees’, in the park near my house, leaves were still green from the leftover summer.

“Breath taking, right?” Myungsoo asked, as he grinned and breathed in the fresh air.

I chuckled and nodded my head.

“Yeah, it’s wonderful,” I told him, before I added, “I wished I brought my camera.”

“That’s fine, I brought mine,” Myungsoo replied, before he slide out a large (when I say large, I mean large) Canon camera with 4 different lenses on it.

My eyes widened, before I blurted, “Dang Myungsoo, that camera is huge!”

He laughed, before he dettached a huge chuck of it off. He put it back into his car, before he grabbed my hand and started to pull me into the park, with his camera hung around his neck. I started to run, but then I regretted wearing heels today because running and heels are not my forte. After a few minutes, we stopped at the swings and Myungsoo climbed onto one.

I gave him a questioning look, before I said, “Really?”

He grinned widely, before he dashed his feet on the ground and started to swing.

“Yes really! Today I’ve decided to bring childhood memories back.”


 

“You know, I feel different when I’m with you,” Myungsoo told me, as we laid down next to each other, and admired the stars.

“Really? How so?” I asked, him, as I turned my head to the side to look at him.

“You actually make my heart beat faster. I miss you whenever I don’t see you for even one class period. You make me want to promise you the world, and we’ve only known each other for what, only a week?” Myungsoo questioned me, before he smiled a bit and reached out for my hand.

“Promise me you won’t leave me until the time is right. Promise me, please Junae,” Myungsoo whispered, as he pulled me up against him.

I felt my heart race, and I closed my eyes, feeling almost as comfortable with him as I did with Jonghyun.

“I promise.”


 

After numerous slide rides, a picnic full of fish cakes, jjangmyeon, and banana milk, Myungsoo and I thought that it was time to call it quits. I asked him to stop by a street shop so I could buy SHINee some dinner, since who knows what they could’ve made without me. Myungsoo gave me a quizzical look.

“You’re going to buy some food for them?” he asked, as he parked on the curb.

I shrugged, as I remember who I was playing as.

“Without them, I probably would’ve never been able to meet you.”

Myungsoo chuckled, before he unlocked the car doors and guided me out the car.

“Awh, nice and flattering at the same time,” Myungsoo commented, before he wrapped an arm around me and pecked my cheek.

I blushed, as my heart suddenly went crazy over a small gesture. Something in me accepted the fact that I did really like Myungsoo, but something else told me that it wasn’t one of the brightest decisions to do so.

“Yeah, I know,” I replied with a psuedo-smug smirk.

I ordered some of SHINee’s favorite foods, before I bagged them and Myungsoo drove me home. I got out of the car, and Myungsoo followed me out.

“I had a blast tonight,” he told me, as he wrapped his arms around me and smiled one of the sweetest smiles I have ever seen.

“I did, too,” I told him genuinely.

After all of the cuddling, talking and laughing we did today, how could I not? I gave him a smile, before I tipped toed up, pecked him on the cheek, and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Good night baby girl,” Myungsoo whispered, his eyes sparkled under the moonlight.

“Good night Myungsoo Oppa,” I replied, before Myungsoo and I pulled away from each other.

I turned around to enter the house, but then Myungsoo suddenly pulled me back and trapped me in a back hug. I held his hands.

“Did you forget something?” I joked.

“Yeah, I think I did actually.”

“What did you forget?” I asked him, confused at where my joke headed.

Myungsoo spun me around, and pressed his lips against mine gently. Almost automatically, my eyes closed and slowly Myungsoo’s and I’s lips were moving in sync with each other. My hands found its way to Myungsoo’s chest and I held onto his shirt for a bit of balance, as Myungsoo held me in his arms. After a few seconds, Myungsoo pulled away, but kept his face close to mine. I opened my eyes and we stared at each other, completely whipped, before Myungsoo said, “Night Junae-yah.”


 

I walked into the house, feeling like I was on cloud nine. With the boys' dinner in my hands, I walked to the kitchen, however I could hear that Jonghyun was yelling at Taemin for burning something, and then Key was just being a diva and backing Jonghyun up, while Onew tried to get all of them to calm down.

“What is going on here?” I yelled, as I looked at all of them in disbelief.

The yelling quickly ceased, as all of them turned to look at me. I sighed.

“Minho leaves for one soccer practice, and the house is already in flames.”

“It’s not like that,” Key defended, “I was making something for Jonghyun’s mom because she was sick, and then Taemin comes and tried to make his own ramen, but then he the wrong burner and it burned the soup and--”

“Wait, Jonghyun, your mom is sick and you didn’t tell me?” I asked, as I looked at him with a worried expression.

Key started to whine about how I never listen to him, but I didn’t hear any of it. All I heard was a faint, “I didn’t tell you because you were too busy with your boyfriend to care.”

Something irked me right then.

“You thought that I wouldn’t have cared if your mom was sick?” I questioned him in disbelief.

“Your mom is like my mom to me, and you know that!” I added.

“Yeah, but it that you’re always spending time with your boyfriend and your new possy. You probably even think that you’re too popular for us too, don’t you?” Jonghyun scoffed, before he turned back to the stove to empty out the pot.

The whole kitchen became quiet. There was nothing coming from Jonghyun anymore. Onew wasn’t trying to calm down the already calm Taemin anymore. All that was heard was the pot tapping against the metal sink, and all I could hear was my heart getting ready to burst.

“I can’t believe you think that,” I whispered, as my feet stood still.

Jonghyun laughed a sarcastic laugh, before he retorted, "I can't believe that I actually thought that you weren't going to change."

"I didn't," I growled in defense.

What has gotten into Jonghyun? What the heck happened?

"Oh yeah? You constantly leave us to hang out with your new Infinite oppas. You're always texting Myungsoo. You're leaving us for him," he seethed.

"What happened to 'I hate Infinite', huh? Are you finally seduced by their charms?" he asked, as he continued scrubbing the pot filled with burnt crust and pieces of rice porridge.

"Is that what you really think Jonghyun? I haven't changed at all!" I exclaimed, as my anger began to rise.

"Oh really? You haven't?" Jonghyun asked, as he turned around and stared at me.

I couldn't clearly tell what was going through his mind, but one thing I knew was that he was mad, and I was mad, and we're both just mad at each other.

"No, I haven't,  because I'm still the same selfish, spoiled, biased girl who only thinks about myself! Oh, and how could I forget that I'm still the same stupid girl who cares about you and the rest of SHINee enough to leave my date early just to pick up some dinner for you guys just because I know you guys at cooking," I huffed, before I plopped the bag of freshly fried mandu and ddubokki on the table.

Jonghyun's expression paled a bit. He closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Oh gosh, I am so sorry Haikyn. I was just so stressed and I wasn't thinking and--"

"Save it Jonghyun. Obviously you feel what you said since you didn't think about it," I muttered, before I my heels and sprinted out the door.