Pressure

As You Wish

 

NOTE: Italics = thoughts :)

 

Jaeseop's POV-
 
“Prince Jaeseop it's time to wake up again.” said Butler Lee, making my regular wake-up call.
 
“Ugh, why must you wake me up so early?” I grumbled as I sat up in bed, rubbing away the sleepiness from my eyes.
 
“You make it a necessity sir, however I'm sure you know how to wake yourself up by now. You are 21.” said Butler Lee sarcastically. I just scoffed and stood up.
 
“I woke you up to tell you that-”
 
“I know, I know etiquette lessons, fencing lessons, arithmetic, wedding junk blah blah blah” I interrupt with an eye roll.
 
“No actually, your father has requested to see you. He needs to speak with you, he said it was urgent. You have 20 minutes to get ready and be in his office by then.” and with that he walked out.
 
Huh, I wonder what is so urgent... I think as I get ready for today.

_______________________________________________________
 
 
Prince Jaeseop, it's nice to see you. Still having Lee wake you up in the morning?” Greeted my father as I walked into his office.
 
Nice to see you too father.” I say sarcastically as I slump down into a chair.
 
You should know why I requested to speak with you today. It's your mother.”
 
My m-mother? What's wrong? Is she okay? Has she gotten any worse?” I ask, frantic that she has gotten worse, she's already terminal.
 
She has been put on bed rest for a month.”
 
Oh no..” I sigh as I put my face in my hands. “Why is this happening to her? She's such a sweet person..”
 
I don't know, son. That's why this marriage between you and Ji Hye is so important. I'm getting older and your mother won't be here for much longer. I'm sure she would be very pleased to see her only son marry off before she passes.”
 
I internally sigh. Of course he would bring that up, he never lets up on the pressure of this marriage, even when his own wife is dying. Sometimes I think that all he cares about is his image.
 
“Yes father I know how you feel about the wedding.” I say bitterly.
 
"I'm being serious. I'd love for you to marry happily. It means a lot to me. You can't image how sad and such I would be if you weren't to be wed soon." He said with a fake sad face.
 
"I'll do my best to keep you happy."
 
"Please make sure you spend lots of time with Ji Hye. She loves you to death. She even requested to me that you two could have more alone time together, because she feels you don't see each other enough."
 
"I have lots of work to do and a busy schedule. It's not that easy."
 
Your mother has requested to speak to you in her chambers.” says the king, ignoring my bitter comment.
 
I stand up, bow and start to walk out.
 
Don't forget, we're both counting on you.” Those are the last words I hear before I leave and head for my mother's chambers. I can never tell him I don't love Ji Hye.
 
As I walk to my mother's chambers, I smell the sweet scent of flowers and look up to find Hana scrubbing the floors.
 
“Hello Hana.”
 
“Oh! Hello your majesty” she says as she looks up at me with a smile. She is sweaty, yet, she is still so beautiful. “Do you need something?”
 
“Oh nothing really, just going to visit my mother. Will you bring some water and fruit to her for me?”
 
“As you wish” She says as she stands and bows, leaving to walk to the kitchen.
 
I don't think i'll ever get used to her saying that.
 
___________________________________________________
 
 
Oh, Jaeseop! It's so nice to see you.” says my mother with a sweet smile.
 
Hello umma.” I say with a smile as I sit on the edge of her bed. “How do you feel?”
 
I've had better days. How about you? You look very... conflicted.” My mother can always read me like an open book.
 
I'm fine... just, the wedding. Ji Hye is so cold. And I don't even love her!” I reply with a sigh. “Father isn't making it any easier.”
 
Jaeseop, you know he only wants what is best for you.”
 
Yes but I'd much rather spend my days with you, not attending etiquette lessons and fencing lessons. And especially wedding meetings.” I say as I hold her small hand. She has gotten so thin.
 
I kn-” She is interrupted by Hana walking in with a tray.
 
Hello your majesty,” says Hana with a bow “Sorry to interrupt. I brought you some fruit and water.”
 
Thank you dear, just place it on the bedside table.” says my mother, gesturing to the table. The whole time I have been studying Hana. Every step she takes is so graceful, kind of like a deer. She is very polite, too. Not stiff like all of the other servants. They certainly aren't as beautiful as her either.
 
What I didn't notice was my mother watching me study Hana with appreciation. Hana pours some water into a glass and hands it to my mother. “Goodbye your majesty.” With that and a bow she leaves the room.
 
“It all makes sense now.” My mother says with a smile.
 
“What makes sense?” I say, turning back to her.
 
“That girl, she catches your attention when Ji Hye does not. I can see how you change when she walks in. I saw you studying her.”
 
“O-oh..no it isn't like that.” I say, slightly blushing.
 
"Then what is it like? Don't lie to me." My umma smiled.
 
"She's just... kind. Very nice and sweet."
 
"Anything else?"
 
"Pretty... beautiful." I stated, letting my thoughts accidentally slip from my head to my lips.
 
“Jaeseop, just know that whatever you decide I will support you on, no matter what your father says. Now let me rest, we will speak more tomorrow.”
 
“Nae, goodbye umma” I kiss her cheek and leave the room.
 
What does Hana mean to me? Is she that special?
 
___________________________________________________________________
 
"Jaeseop-ah! There you are! I missed you. Did you miss me?" Ji Hye ran over to me excitedly, just as I was about to go to my etiquette lessons.
 
"Nae, Ji Hye-ssi. I did too." I said unenthusiastically.
 
"Can we do something together today? Please?" She said, gripping my arm.
 
"Not today. I've got a full schedule."
 
"Aww you're busy during this evening too? Let's go out for dinner."
 
I thought about the words that my father had said, and decided to give up just for today.
 
"...No, I'm open during dinner time. Where would you like to go?" I sighed.
 
"The italian place not too far from here! At 5:30!" She answered immediately. It's like she planned all of this in her head without knowing if I could even go out with her.
 
"That's fine with me. I'll see you later then, Ji Hye." I bowed and headed off to my classes.
 
___________________________________________________________
 
 
"Table for two, please!" Ji Hye told the waiter.
 
"Oh! It's Prince Jaeseop and his fiancee!" The waiter said, surprised.
 
"Please don't say that too loudly. We don't want the paparazzi to be invited." I sighed.
 
"Oh, yes. Sorry, your majesty. I'll bring you to your table now." He bowed, and made his way through the restaurant with us trailing behind. "Here is your seat."
 
"Thank you." I nodded, and took my seat.
 
"So! Are you excited for the wedding Jaeseoppie?"  Ji Hye asked excitedly.
 
"Yeah."
 
"You missed all of the wedding planning today since you had your lessons late! You sure missed out on a lot. We planned how my hair was going to be done, what dress I'm going to wear... Oh! Well actually you're not supposed to see that yet haha! Also the organizer and I decided on the color scheme! Do you want to know what it is?"
 
"Sure, I guess."
 
"Light blue and lilac purple!" She exclaimed.
 
How long do I have to sit through this.... I thought to myself. This is going to be torture.
 
"Hello! I'm Taekyung, your waiter. What can I get you two for today?" The waiter said.
 
"I'll have fettucine alfredo, please." I said.
 
"And for you, miss?"
 
"I'll have the same!" said Ji Hye.
 
"I'll be back soon with your food!" The waiter bowed and left.
 
"Anyways, as I was saying. The wedding's going to be held in that cathedral not too far from here. You know, the one with the beautiful stained glass windows. And my whole family is going to be there! Isn't that great? We also hired one of the best beauty stylists for me...."
 
Ji Hye's voice kept droning on and on, and I just stopped paying attention. When the waiter brought our food, I ate and kept 'listening' to Ji Hye. I finished my food before she did, and waited as patiently as I possibly could for her to finish hers.
 
"Yah, Kim Jaeseop, are you listening to me?" Ji Hye said, waving a hand in front of my face.
 
"Yes, Ji Hye, I've been listening to you the whole time." I smiled fakely.
 
"Oh... Just making sure!" She smiled back. "I'm full. We can leave now. Do you want me to pay?"
 
"I already paid." I stood up and started heading out, assuming Ji Hye was following.
 
"I had fun tonight. Did you?" She said, linking her arm around mine.
 
"Yes, I did."
 
"Good! Let's go home now."
 
___________________________________________________________
 
 
"I'm going to die if I ever have to do that again." I said to myself as I entered my bedroom.
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"Oh, Hana. I didn't realize you were in here." I said, my eyes then looking to where she was. I breathed in deep, and the scent of flowers filled my nose, and I smiled.
 
"I'm sorry, your majesty, I didn't warn you." Hana apologized.
 
"No, it's okay. You're at the least of my worries." I sighed, and flopped down onto my bed.
 
"Is something wrong, your majesty?" She asked.
 
"It's my fiancee. Would you believe me if I said I didn't love her? She's just...unlovable I guess. She's fake. All she did at dinner tonight was talk about herself and the wedding. I wouldn't have been able to get a word in, if I had wanted to say anything. I just nodded, smiled, and ate. Ji Hye drives me crazy. In a bad way. I can't stand her sometimes." Did I just spill everything to her?
 
"Oh... I see. I'll keep my opinion to myself, since it wouldn't be right to share it." She said, nodding to herself.
 
"No, please, share. I want to know what you think."
 
"Well... I think you should be able to marry whoever you want. Love shouldn't be forced, you know?"
 
"Yeah. I agree."
 
"A-ah yes. Do you need anything before I head off for the night?"
 
"No, I'm fine. You can go now."
 
"As you wish, your majesty." Hana bowed and left the room.
 
I sighed and whispered silently to myself, "What I need is you."
 
 
________________________________________________
 
 
Co-Author's Note ;D -
:o I swear I would die without maknaelove32 xD she and I make the best team ever! (interupting A/N: we're the 2Seop team! mwahaha. We both really like Kiseop and Jaeseop xD It's actually been a war for them.... o.o) :D this story will get much better as it goes on I promise ^_^