Bittersweet

너 때문에 (Because of you)

 

 

"Halmeoni! I'm going out!"

 

"Haneul ahh, you'll be back for dinner right?"

 

"I'm not sure I will..." Haneul paused. "Waeyo Halmeoni?"

 

"Aigoo... Daehyunnie will be coming over for dinner later. Do you really have to go?"

 

"Ne halmeoni. My friend is already waiting for me outside."

 

"Nuguya? Sojinnie?"

 

"Ahnniyeyo," Haneul shook her head. "The friend that sends me home last time."

 

"Ah, that young boy."

 

"Halmeoni, I'll get going," Haneul bowed to her grandmother before leaving, "Have a nice dinner with Daehyun!"

 

She puts on her loafers and dashed outside. She left feeling guilty that she's not joining halmeoni and Daehyun for dinner.

 

"I hope it is not going to be awkward...,” she thought.

 

Dujun was waiting for her outside the front gate. He paired his white polo shirt with his favourite Levi’s jeans and a pair of royal blue Vans. Choi Haneul beamed as he was in her sight. She couldn't hide her excitement.

 

"Hey there!" he uttered. He revealed his shy side that was so charming that it made Haneul's heart skipped a beat. She can't believe that she's going to be on a date with her major college crush.

 

Likewise, Dujun couldn't believe it either. He loves how Haneul didn't over-dress. She was just wearing a comfortable loose top with a pair of skinny jeans and her Patricia Green loafers.

 

“So, what’s the plan?” Haneul asked, her face showed how excited she was.

 

Dujun smiled as Haneul looks like she was really looking forward to it.

 

“You’ll see.”

 

*

 

Haneul looked around the scenery. Namsan Tower was seen towering over the trees. She used to go here all the time after school back in her elementary days, back when her mother was still alive, having the food her mom packed especially for her. The memories of her mother came rushing to her.

 

She frowned unconsciously and Dujun noticed it right away.

 

"Are you okay? You don't like it here?"

 

"No... No..." she smiled.

 

Dujun might not be able to penetrate to her but he could sense that she was forcing herself to smile.

 

"Lets go somewhere else then."

 

"No," she tugged his hand. "Lets just stay."

 

She insisted. Really. She can't really blame him about anything. He came into her life after her mother's death and you can't really avoid the place over a long time.

 

"But Dujun ah..." Haneul muttered. "We're not going up there, are we?"

 

Dujun looked at her and smiled. "Are you afraid of heights?"

 

Haneul shrugged. "It's either that or falling."

 

"Don't worry. If you were to fall, I'd run down hundred flights of stairs just so I could catch you before you even touch the ground."

 

Haneul looked at him, containing herself from laughing. She didn't know that Yoon Dujun was the cheesy guy.

 

He laughed in embarrassment. "Okay, I did not just say that."

 

"My hero." Haneul scoffed and beamed. This time it was more sincere than before.

 

Dujun smiled in relieved after seeing Haneul cheering up again. It didn't take him that long to put a smile on Haneul's face.

 

"So, do you wanna go up there or just stay down here?"

 

Haneul paused and grinned, "oh why not. What's the worst that could happen..."

 

The elevator dings and Haneul doesn't have any problem with the high altitude just yet. Not until she looked down. She gripped onto Dujun's arm when she did look down. Dujun on the other hand just smiled watching her action. She refused to whine about it but yet, she can't hide how scared she was..

 

"So this is what it looks like..." Dujun cried. 

 

Haneul slowly opened her eyes. The sky was in shades of orange and red. Her fear faded, as she was very much amazed to the view.

 

"Yeppeuda~" She uttered. She noticed that she was still holding onto Dujun that she let him go with a blush.

 

"Lets go ride on the cable car," Dujun scoffed.

 

Haneul followed him without saying anything. She was having mixed feelings and her fear was slowly creeping back. Dujun took her hand and slowly guide her in. Haneul froze right away. She was very scared because the floor felt so fragile to her. Once again, she gripped onto Dujun's hand and shut her eyes.

 

Dujun was grinning as he looked over at Haneul. He let her sit down while she was holding onto his hand. Haneul wasn't thinking straight. She was closing her eyes the whole time and mumbling stuff out of .

 

Until Dujun bends over and whispered into her ears, "Jung Haneul, will you be my girl?"

 

Haneul eyes widened right after Dujun's proposal. She turned around only to find that Dujun's face was very close to her. He didn't wipe the grin off of his face yet and meanwhile, Haneul couldn't really hide how surprised she was.

 

"Yoon Dujun..." she stuttered. "You're killing me."

 

Dujun was taken aback. He pulled her face away slightly and the grin was finally off of his face.

 

Haneul smiled as she wrapped her arms around Dujun's neck.

 

"Yes, indeed!” She murmured. “And please, get me out of here!”

 

A/N: Annyeong readers. It's been a while since I've updated, I know. Mian. Thank you for waiting very patiently. I'll try to update much mre often now... Saranghae~