Beginner's Luck

Switch {Revamped} - On Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Recap:  Sunny was back at Lee & Co.  and it only meant Jessica's freedom.  However, she was asked by her Dad to work in their own corporation.  The worse part is, she'll be with Eunji for the Nami Island Project.  She couldn't take it, hence, she walked out...

 

Jessica was very mad at her dad and all the people in his company.  Who are they to manipulate her life?  They're trying to clip her wings by making her stay here.  She and office work just don't match.  That was her analogy.

Her dad's secretary attempted to stop her from walking out but even the security personnel can't do anything about her.  They were utterly scared at how she glared at them to step aside.  She was on mode—ready to vent her anger to anyone.  She wanted to go on a bar and get drunk until she forgets all these madness.  Unfortunately, no bar is open in broad day light.  Thus, she went to Kona Beans to calm herself.  She ordered the strongest coffee and settled at the most isolated spot in the cafe. 

Her mind began to wander off to nowhere when someone joined her.

"Fancy meeting you here," he smirked.

She looked up—only to frown.  "We just saw each other this morning.  I am not in the mood to argue with you, Sajang—Donghae," she diverted her gaze outside.  "Better go now before I reach my limit."  Her rage was close to popping up like a cork on a champagne bottle.

"Ma'am Jessica?  Here's your Americano."  The waiter served her coffee.  If it weren't for him, she could've yelled at Donghae who sat across her.  Talk about of luck.

"That won't help you chill," he commented before her lips could even touch the rim of the cup.  She put it down and gawked at him.  It didn't faze him though and he smiled rather.

"I'll buy you a frappe."

She was about to speak when he left to go to the counter.  After a couple of minutes, he returned—still smiling.  She gave him a quizzical look.  "What are you doing here?  Shouldn't you be in your office?" she asked straightforwardly.

"What are you doing here?" he threw back.  She pursed her lips—making her chuckle.  "I came here on instinct.  I felt that...you need me...right now..."  His expressions became a mixture of a contrasting soft and serious.  "I guess I was right."

Her heart began to pound.  She stared at her cup instead of him because his unwavering gaze made her feel anxious.  "I don't want to go back there.  I'd rather be at Lee & Co.  Jung Corp. is just...not for me."  There.  She let it out.  Donghae is smart enough to puzzle out the hints since he already knew about her and Eunji.  Maybe, he can understand him.  "After graduation, I immediately started training because I was the Child of the owner—"

"They have high expectations on you."

"Yeah.  I knew it was bound to happen.  But that isn't how things worked in JC.  Mr. Jung isn't my father in that place, but the CEO.  I'm a mere employee—I had to start as a management trainee.  It was my ticket to inherit dad's position so I worked hard.  But other people are simply greedy.  They considered me a threat that must be eradicated."  Tears welled up from her eyes as she bit her lower lip.  "One of those was Eunji-unnie.  She...she betrayed me."

There was an unexplainable pang that Donghae felt in his chest as he listened to her.  She seemed really burdened and a part of him wished to ease it.  Her vulnerability made his heart cringe in pain too.  He leaned closer to wipe her tears with his fingers.  "Don't cry.  You need to put a fight to it."

"W-What do you mean?"

A weak smile flashed on his face.  "Well—the business world is harsh.  You don't know whom to trust and who can pull you down.  It is an unsafe place.  Only strong people survive."

"And I didn't.  Are you trying to say I'm a coward?" she sobbed.

"No! No!"  He rushed to her side to pat her back.  "What I meant was—you were given an opportunity to avenge—to show them how amazing you are in this field."  It was the truth.  he saw her talent in managing a company.  "It'd be best if you face them and take the risk.  If you choose to runaway. you're proving them you're scared."

She pondered on his words and realized he was correct.  Her tears stopped falling.  "I don't know if I can—"

Suddenly, he pressed his hands on hers.  "I'll fight with you," he said with conviction and honesty.

"W-Why are you doing this, Donghae?"

"Can't a jerk be a good guy?  I wanted to help," he shrugged.  "For starters, I'm going to cheer you up by inviting you on a date."  He grinned as her eyes widened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter