4

Don't Say Goodbye

 

Her feet led her to the room where she had found the scores. Peeking into the room,she saw junhyung sitting in the chair deep in though. Occasionally he would scribble something on the music scores. She looked at him, blushing as she find the man handsome. His hair keeps covering his eyes and she have the odd urge to sweep it away for him. Why am I thinking of things like this? She questioned herself, shaking her head furiously.

 Junhyung happened to look up and saw her standing there. She immediately leaned against the wall,not daring to take a look inside. Junhyung spoke, making sure he was loud enough for her to hear “You can come in if you want.” With that he turned back to composing. Ji eun meekly walked in and stood in the middle of the room, looking around for a place to sit.

Placing the thick stack of scores on the table so that there is a place to sit on the sofa, he gestured to the empty space. He did it in a relaxed manner, as if he was planning to do it before she even came in. Carefully sitting down, she glanced at him hard at work, thoughts running through her mind all at once. If not for him, she would still be out in the streets, which would make it easier for her uncle to find her. Even the thought of that makes her shiver involuntarily.

Whenever she thinks about the time she spent with her uncle in the house, all she remembers are the beatings and endless verbal abuse hurled at her. She accepts it, because it was her fault that her aunt left uncle. It was what she believed, and he proved it by being the way he is now. But with junhyung, she felt safe and calm, not tensed up and ready to run when being shocked or nervous. 

The two of them sat side by side in companionable silence. Ji Eun was enjoying the peace and quiet, absorbed in her own thoughts. She didn’t even realize she was staring at Junhyung again. Junhyung tried hard not to look at her, so as not to creep her out, but when he was stealing a few glances, he noticed she was looking at him. But her eyes were hazy, as if she was miles from here. I wonder what she is thinking about…snapping out of her thoughts, her eyes met with junhyung’s.

Both turned away in embarrassment to be caught staring at each other. “Do you have a place to live?” Juhnyung asked bluntly after clearing his throat. He immediately regretted it as he saw a hurt expression flashing across her face. He didn’t mean to make it sound like he wanted her gone; he was just worried that she might not have any place to live.

I can’t burden him, he have already done so much. She thought and answered with a calm tone “I will find a place to live in once I have recovered.” Junhyung wanted to say something and opened his mouth, but he stopped himself. “Its ok,you can stay here for as long as you want.” The moment the words came up on his mind he questioned himself. why do I want her to stay?she is just a stranger I have helped. 

Instead he said “Its up to you. Lets eat dinner.” there was nothing much in the fridge and cupboards, so junhyung cooked instant noodles and served it in front of her. He expected her to give him  a questioning expression and ask if that’s the only thing for dinner. she just accepted it and ate it like it was the most delicious food she had ever tasted. Looking at her thin and frail frame, he guessed she must not have eaten well for her to be satisfied with just instant noddles.

Her noodles were finished in a flash, and she patted her stomach with a frown. She must not be full. Junhyung observed and came to this conclusion. “I’m not hungry. I’m throwing this away.” Lying and taking his share, he walked towards the dustbin. “Wait! Can I have it?” Junhyung passed the bowl to her and went to work on his song. But when he walked passed her, his stomach started growling when he smells the aroma of the noddles.