3

Don't Say Goodbye

It was already one week since she appeared, and Junhyung felt the urge to protect her, to heal her scars, both mentally and physically. He assumed that he thought of her as a sister, a girl who had went through something terrible. Ji Eun found herself starting to relax around Junhyung, for though he looked cold, he was always caring to her.

The times when he would go out, she felt lonely, she wanted to take this opportunity to see the world she had yearned to see, buut she couldn’t bring herself to ask him. Her uncle is still out there somewhere, and she don’t want to risk her freedom in exchange for this little dream of hers.

Since she is always in her room,junhyung was curious what she was doing inside so he decided to go to the room. What is she doing inside? Theres nothing for her to do, is there? He doesn’t remember seeing her with a bag or anything of the sort, and he didn’t want the girl to be coped up in the room all day. Knocking on the door, there was no reply, maybe she didn’t hear me. Or she is somewhere else in the house? He did saw her enter the room earlier though. “I’m coming in.” still there was no reply. As he opened the door cautiously, he found her sound asleep on her bed.  I shouldn’t disturb her.

 He thought, but just as he was about to walk out, she started speaking in a voice full of fear. “Don’t come near me!” Junhyung walked closer to her and she became more frightened. “No! uncle,please don’t take me back there!” Junhyung tried to wake her up and tapped her shoulders, but she seems to be so caught up in the dream that she flinched and thrashed around.

Unsure what to do, junhyung stood beside her bed and looked at her. Her face became tense and she moved her hands in front of her, as if to protect herself from being hit. Junhyung held one of her hands as a way to comfort her. At his touch, her body relaxes, and her body stopped moving.  Junhyung patted her hand and said softly to her, “It’s a dream.just a dream.” she nodded as if she could hear him and her breathing slowed down,her face becoming peaceful again. 

The next day,junhyung met her at the hallway. It was very awkward as the Ji Eun fidgeted and Junhyung stares at his feet. While bowing, she said as a form of greeting “Thank you for taking me in” junhyung nodded and both of them went to the dining room to have breakfast together. Did she know about what I did when she was asleep? The question was stuck in his head as he looked at her eating dantily.

 When eye contact is made, Junhyung gave another small smile which she returned. “Ji Eun, which school did you go to?” she froze up at the question. Should I lie or tell him the truth? “I studied till high school.” He gave a curt nod at that, deciding not to pry any further. Ji Eun found herself explaining why “Uncle didn’t have enough money for me to continue my studies, so I dropped out.”

 “Are your injuries getting better?” Junhyung tried to change the subject by asking casually.  She nodded as a reply, grateful to Junhyung for not asking about her life anymore. When junhyung was about to clear the plates and wash them, she stood up and took the plates form him. “Let me wah it. I can’t stay here without doing anything.” Junhyung shook his head and said firmly “No,your body is still weak. Just rest well.”  It has been a long time since someone has said those words to her, and being genuinely concerned about her. Even if its from a stranger, she feels like someone cares for her. Once inside her room, she took out the locket on her neck. Opening the locket, it shows the last photo she took with her parents before the accident. It was the only thing she had now of her parents. 

Even the memories of them are fuzzy,but when she looked at the photo,the happy memories they had together became clearer, not as dreamlike as before. It was the only procession she had, and she treasured it very much. It may just be an ordinary photo inside a locket to other people, but it makes her feel closer to her parents.

“Mum,dad. I finally escaped from uncle. Don’t worry. I met a kind man who took me in and treated my wounds. I am really grateful to him.” She spoke to the locket as if her parents were still alive. It was something she had done after they died.

It was also the only thing keeping her from going insane. Her parents had high hopes for her, and she wouldn’t give up on herself just because her uncle was preventing her to do well.She kept the locket in the drawer and went out, trying to find Junhyung so that she can talk to him about her idea.