12

Don't Say Goodbye

 

As her hands reached up to touch his face, he noticed the slight tremble in her lips. Pressing his forehead against hers, he whispered reassuringly “It’s just a slight scratch. I’m fine.”

Pushing him away with all her strength, she lowered her head “You are hurt because of me.”

He opened his mouth to reply, but the tears were dripping down her face silently. Wiping it off, she shouted at Junhyung and glared at him.

“Why did you save me?! I’m just a passerby in your life, someone who is a nobody. Why are you letting yourself get hurt, just because of someone like me?” Hitting his chest as she tried to control her sobs, Junhyung hugged her tightly, and Ji Eun felt herself relax to his embrace.

“Even though we met under those kind of circumstances, the time we spent together meant a lot to me. You are not a nobody. For you to be safe, I would give up everything.”

Ji Eun stiffened at his words with a sinking heart. “We can’t be together. We are from two different worlds. You already have Hara.” I don’t want to see you get hurt again.

“I broke up with Hara. Does our status matter when we are happy together?”

Ji Eun could feel herself waver from his words, but she stood her ground firmly.

“I’m really grateful that you have saved me. If there is nothing else I will leave now.”

Blocking her way with a determined expression, Junhyung crossed his arms.

“I have saved your life two times. It’s time you repay me.”

He bit his lip to stop a smile at her bewildered expression.

“From now on, you will live here as my domestic helper. No arguments.” This is a lousy excuse, but I’m going to use whatever it takes to keep her here. It will be easier to protect her.

He expected some form of resistance, but Ji Eun nodded her head and bowed.

“If this is the only way to repay you, I have no complains.” Ji Eun, you just have to hide your emotions well around him. Act professionally.

Taking a shower, she went her previous room without a word of acknowledgement of Junhyung who walked towards her. The room was as she had left it, and she took a pillow, burying her face into it to hide the smile forming at her lips. The bed sink at another weight next to her and a hand pulled the pillow away.

“Good night. I’m looking forward to your breakfast.” Patting her head affectionately, he left Ji Eun sitting there, eyes following him as he walked out. Touching her blushing cheeks she shook her head. He’s making it hard…the things he does makes me blush and my heart skip a beat.

Stretching her back and yawning, Ji Eun woke up and glanced at the clock. It was already ten o’clock. She sat up in bed, before remembering their conversation yesterday and rushing to the kitchen. Junhyung was already there, munching on an apple casually. Grabbing the apple from him, Ji Eun placed her hands on her hips and shook her head.

“I’m going to make breakfast for you now. You were planning to just eat an apple?”

He shrugged teasingly, before strolling out of the kitchen. Ji Eun came out of the kitchen with two plates that was filled with a piece of French toast and bacon and eggs along with it. She took a seat that is the furthest from Junhyung and ate quietly, peeking at him now and then. He went to take a glass of orange juice, before sitting down directly across from Ji Eun. A small smile tugging on his lips as Ji Eun began eating faster, looking nervous and flustered. After breakfast, Ji Eun went back to her room, telling him to call her whenever he needed something. Junhyung frowned as she avoided him the entire day, only doing her duties and not speaking much to him.

“Ji Eun, why are you avoiding me?” finally managing to corner her as she stepped out from the bathroom, Junhyung confronted her about the matter with a serious face.

“I’m not. You are thinking too much.” even though her reply is calm, she squirmed under his intense eyes and played with the towel in her hands. Raising his eyebrow, he took hold of her shoulders.

“Listen, I’m not asking you to accept me right now, but we can go back to how we were like, the days when we are friends. I will be waiting for your answer.”

She nodded her head, letting out a sigh of relief as he left her standing there. A knock on the front door jolt her from her thoughts, and she went down curiously. People rarely knock on the door, since they knew not to disturb Junhyung. Junhyung rushed down before she can open the door, and mouthed for her to go to her room. As she closed her door, a cluster of footsteps could be heard and loud chattering filled the living room. Ji Eun assumed it was Junhyung’s friends since they were all male voices and sound friendly.

“Hey, I’m going to the bathroom.” Yoseob spoke up and walked towards the bathroom near Ji Eun’s room. “No!” Junhyung startled the rest of s as he shot up from his seat. Coughing awkwardly to cover up his outburst, he spoke casually “It’s just that…erm…that bathroom is spoilt” the others sent him suspicious looks while Yoseob nodded and went the other direction. Junhyung breathed out a sigh of relief but Yoseob ran to the bathroom and opened the door. “Are you hiding something here? The bathroom’s is not spoilt.” Yoseob glanced around the bathroom in confusion, while Junhyung tensed up as all of the members stared at him.

“Why is everyone looking at me this way? I meant it as a joke” he faked a laugh in the hopes of changing the topic but they just folded their arms.

“He is surely hiding something from us.” Doo Joon said to the others while they nodded in agreement. As Yoseob came out of the bathroom, he noticed light coming out from the room next to it. “Junhyung, Did you forget to switch off the…” he trailed off as he saw a girl sitting at the study desk. She turned at his voice and the two stared at each other in astonishment.