10

Don't Say Goodbye

 

Junhyung paced back and forth in his room, his footsteps muffled by the carpet underneath his feet. Who is that man? How did he know Ji Eun?

Thoughts were whirring around in his head and he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. He had finally found Hara, but now someone is making him hand over Ji Eun so he can see Hara again! He got to admit he had a soft spot for Ji Eun. For all the house chores she had done, he was grateful to her, but he find that she is a pleasant friend to be around. She respected his privacy, and is never pushy or annoying. The fact that both of them express themselves better through music was what makes this friendship special.

And then there’s Hara. They had started out as friends, confiding with each other and hanging out together. It was fun to be around Hara, for she is a cheerful girl that always encourages him. Nothing much changed when they became couples, she was always there for her, and though he is shy and tend to be quiet at times, she understands, never forcing him to talk more. That was what he liked about her.

There was also the problem of explaining Ji Eun to Hara. He wouldn’t be surprised if Hara became angry once she heard about it, but he had never done anything like this. Before all this happened, if someone told him he would bring in a total stranger, into his home, he would laughed in their face. Why her? What’s so special about Ji Eun? Should he say he did this because she was knocked out cold on the ground? Or is it because he saw the bruises on her arms? Is it the fact that her uncle is mistreating her?

Ji Eun knocked on the door at the moment, and she stood in front of him as he turned towards her direction.

“You found her.”

It was a simple statement, said in a neutral manner, but Junhuyng was amazed that she knew it. Was his face expression that obvious?

“I got a call from a man.”

Ji Eun tensed up at his words. Somehow there was a feeling at the back of , warning her of the things she would hear next.

“He said that Hara’s with him.” There was a pause as he looked at her, gauging her reaction.

“Let’s go and bring her back! I will go with you.” She knew there was more to it, but she ignored it, faking a smile at him.

Another call came the next day, and the meeting place was set. They were to meet in the middle of the woods.

“Don’t tell Ji Eun about her part in all this.” He warned Junhyung.

Junhyung wanted to tell her badly, but they are losing time. The media is starting to suspect that something is wrong with Hara’s so called vacation. He sighed as they drove into the woods. I’m sorry Ji Eun.

Ji Eun stared at the dirt path ahead of them, surveying her surroundings. It was the woods near her uncle’s house; she could recognise it any time of the day. She shivered as they drove deeper into the woods. As they reached the middles of the woods, it opened up into a huge green filed, filled with fallen logs and rocks. Ji Eun took a deep breath, closing her hands before running in the direction of the house. His uncle stood there with a grin, while Hara stood beside him, clueless as to what is going on.

“Ji Eun!” she froze at Junhyung’s voice, but before she can turn back her uncle had already grabbed her, while Hara ran towards Junhyung.

Hara hugged him happily, but frowned at his expression.

Junhyung was staring at Ji Eun as she was being dragged back towards the direction of the house. Her eyes were full of sadness and fear, and he wanted to save her, but what can he do? Her uncle is a strong man, and he have to protect Hara too. Driving away from the place silently, he kept on apologising to Ji Eun in his head.

Once they had reached his house, they sat down on the sofa and Junhuyng spoke up.

“The girl with me just now…he asked me to bring her in exchange for you.” Hara was confused by his words.

“The man is her uncle. He mistreated her and she escaped.”

Hara’s eyes widen at his revelation. Her shoulders shook and she covered . As Junhyung told her everything, about how Ji Eun came to live in his house, Hara felt the guilt suffocating her. Her lips trembled and she shook her head. Grabbing onto his hands, she urged Junhuyng to go and save her.

“It’s my entire fault! I should have made sure you guys got my message, I shouldn’t go home suddenly. If the girl is hurt because of me, I don’t know what to do.” Staring straight into his eyes, she added calmly.

“Junhuyng, we are better as friends. I can see that you care for her, more than a friend do. The entire car ride home you were glancing at the side mirror and you are frowning throughout.” Junhyung shook his head at her statement.

“It can’t be. She is just a stranger I saved from the streets. You are my girlfriend, my feelings for you never left.”

Hara sighed in disappointment. Why can’t he just admit it? It would be easier for the both of us.

“Think about it, but don’t take too long. She is out there with her uncle.”

She left him there and left. Once out of the door, the tears couldn’t stop streaming down her cheeks. She had always suspected that Junhyung doesn’t think of her more than a friend, and these confirmed everything. Though she had been mentally prepared for this all along, she felt hurt when the truth hits her hard. I just hope he realised his feelings soon.