Where Does It Hurt? (어디 아픈 것?)

Separation Anxiety

July 3rd, 2011

Yong Hwa's room was lit up by a ray of sunlight coming through the window that was covered in sheer pastel blue curtains. Yong Hwa was sitting on his bed, playing his guitar while his mind rewinding the memories of the past. Two years ago, Summer Break was a really happening holiday for Yong Hwa. He could still remember the days they went to library cafe down on the corner of the road near their college. They would spent a morning there having hot mocha while reading books from their favourite authors. Sometimes they would go there after lunch to read while having Iced Americano which is a perfect drink to have during the summer. Whenever they fancied to enjoy the good weather of summer, they would go to Hongdae Park for a cycle or a jog and sometimes they would go for a mini camping along the Han river. Yong Hwa was reminded of the day he taught Shin Hye how to rollerblade by the Han River. All those screaming, hitting, falling, and holding hands moments had really left a deep memory to Yong Hwa. They were times when they just felt like staying indoor. Yong Hwa would sometimes came by to her house for them to play musical instruments together. Shin Hye's family got to know him since the incident in the park and they didn't mind having him at their house as his visit often liven up their home. Usually it would be just Shin Hye and her mom at home when her dad and her brother left for work. They had fun playing music together. Yong Hwa would play his own guitar and Shin Hye would play the piano. Sometimes, Yong Hwa would teach her how to play guitar. But now all left were him and his guitar. 

........................................

August 3rd, 2009

A month had passed after the incident at the park. Yong Hwa was getting ready to college when he noticed the wound on his knee which had completely healed. Only the scar was left there to remind him to be careful the next time he  plays the chasing game. But he didn't mind at all about the scars as the saying by Garrison Keillor goes, “It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.” He laughed as he was reminded of the incident in early Summer Break . He had just confessed to her on that very same day he wounded himself. What an ironic twist of fate he had. 

He had just remembered that he had not seen her since the last week of the holiday. It was because she had to come to college for the final rehearsal of the play that she participated in. He really wanted to accompany her to school back and forth but he was afraid that Shin Hye would get bored with him. Not to mention how Shin Hye had never really given him a solid answer to his question when they were in the park. However, he wasn't worried that much considering that Shin Hye had never shown any comfortable relationship with any guys other than him. 

The first week after Summer Break was a week where the students have to register courses for autumn term. And on that same weekend, they will have their college festival which was meant to raise the spirits of the students to study despite the fact that summer term was the best time for vacation and leisure activities. 

Yong Hwa had already planned to meet Shin Hye that day. At least before the school festival to give her the supports that he thought she would need. Nevertheless, it was to satisfy the longing that he had to see her. So Yong Hwa quickly had the course registration done but to his dismay, he never really got the chance to see her that day. It was either she went to take a break from practice when he went to the theatre rehearsal studio or he went to find her somewhere else when she went back for the practice. It turned out that their paths didn't cross that day.

..................................................

August 7th, 2009

The students who participated in the performances were busy getting ready in the lecture rooms that have been allocated to be the dressing room and waiting room. One for girls one for boys. Some students were in charged of the food stalls in the college compound. It was a really happening day for the students. Everyone seemed to enjoy it very much. 

Yong Hwa went to one of the waiting rooms to find Shin Hye to give her the final wish before she went up on the stage. As he arrived outside the waiting room, he asked a female student to help calling Shin Hye out. When Shin Hye walked out of the room, Yong Hwa was surprised at how different she looked with the make-up on and wearing Pastel Pink Bow Front Long Dress. She looked absolutely gorgeous and stunning. She smiled at him upon seeing him. They both then walked to the side of the hallway near the window for a short conversation.

"Are you nervous?" Yong Hwa asked.

"A little," Shin Hye made a sign with her index finger and her thumb to show her level of anxiety.

"Don't worry. I know you can do it. Park Shin Hye, hwaiting!" Yong Hwa returned the Hwaiting pose to her just like she did to him for his first band performance.

"Thank you." Shin Hye said while repeating the pose after him.

"What do you say if we go together to the food stalls after the performance?"

"That sounds good to me. I'll see you later then."

Then Shin Hye got back into the waiting room while Yong Hwa quickly went to find a nice seat in the great hall to watch her acting. Right after he found the nice seat that he wanted, he saw Min Hyuk, Jung Shin and Jong Hyun walking into the hall looking around for seats as well. So he waved to them for them to sit next to him. The three handsome guys, upon seeing their hyung's wave immediately walked towards him.

"Hyung, you arrived quite early," said Jong Hyun. 

"Yeah, I need to find a nice spot for me to watch the performances." Yong Hwa said unaware that the thing he said caused a curiosity in the three of them.

"Oh it seems you're really interested in it this year." said Jong Hyun preparing his words to tease his friend.

"Yeah," Yong Hwa answered shortly. Now he could feel that the three pairs of eyes are paying attention at him. 

"Or is there anyone in particular that you wanna see?" Jong Hyun with a sly smile wreathed on his face.

"Oh right! That girl from my class!" Jung Shin in.

"Shh! Keep it low otherwise others might heard you." Min Hyuk nudged Jung Shin in his rib.

"Ah..mianhae," said Jung Shin while rubbing the back of his own neck. 

The conversation was cut short when the light in the hall went dim and the opening song was played. 

.................................

The event in the Great Hall ended at 12.30pm that day. Yong Hwa and his three bandmates went to the food stalls to find food they fancied for lunch. Jung Shin and Min Hyuk had decided to first have mandu, a dumpling with noodles and meat as the fillings, whereas Jong Hyun went for dalkkochi, chicken on stick served with sauce made from gohchujang and sesame oil. They were so into their lunch whent hey realised Yong Hwa hadn't bought anything yet. 

"Hyung, are you not eating?" Asked Jung Shin in concern,

"Oh you guys go ahead. I'm waiting for someone to buy lunch together." said Yong Hwa while his eyes scanning around the crowd in the college compound for Shin Hye.

10 minutes passed.

20 minutes passed.

30 minutes passed.

Yong Hwa started to get anxious. Why was she not there yet? Where had she been? Did she forget her promise? Yong Hwa kept checking his watch and looking around the food stalls for the sight of her. Meanwhile, Jong Hyun was busy talking to his other classmates about the festival whereas the other two younger guys had gone to get their second servings.

Yong Hwa decided to not just stay put like that so he went back into the academic building to find her. He went to the same waiting room that he had been earlier that day but to his dismay, there was no one in the waiting room. It looked like everyone had done changing and the room was not in used anymore. He went to search for her at every corner on that same floor but still couldn't find her. He tried to think of the place that she could possibly go to at that time but couldn't think of any.

He almost gave up when he made up his mind to walk back to the compound thinking that she might have gone there to search for him. But when he was about to walked down the stairs, he saw a figure was crouching down at the corner near the stairs. As he got closer, he could see that person was holding her ribs while gritting her teeth, probably enduring the pain she had at that time. 

"Shin Hye!" Yong Hwa shouted her name in a worried voice and quickly ran to her. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Where?" Yong Hwa blurted out endless questions at Shin Hye but she could answer none. She only managed to say "uh" as a yes to her being hurt. Yong Hwa asked to bring her to the hospital for a check up but Shin Hye quickly told him to just bring her home as she said it was probably just a minor impact she was feeling due to the accident she had. Yong Hwa couldn't do anything but to agree with her decision. He then called a cab to bring her home. 

When they arrived at Shin Hye's house, her mom was the one who opened the door for them and upon seeing Shin Hye's condition, her mom quickly helped her to get into her room and told Yong Hwa to just wait at the living room. Yong Hwa had no idea what was happening in her room as it took awhile before Shin Hye's mom came out on her own only to tell Yong Hwa that Shin Hye would be fine as she had called for the doctor to come to check her. Shin Hye's mom thanked him for his help and said that he could return to his home as they didn't want to bother him too much. As much as Yong Hwa wished to stay to learn about Shin Hye's condition, he didn't want to be a bother to the family. So Yong Hwa went back home with thousand questions in his head.

.................................

July 3rd, 2011

Yong Hwa stopped reminded himself of what happened on the day of the festival. He knew he couldn't bear remembering the moments after that. The moment when he knew his love would be leaving him. Yong Hwa put his guitar back on the silver guitar stand at the corner of his room. His mind was tired from all the practising he did since early morning and what even more, from the trip down the memory lane and now he wished to take a nap for while before getting back on the practice. He made sure the windows were left ajar before he went to shut the night blue draperies. He laid down on his bed and the cd player next to his bed as a lullaby for his afternoon nap. His ears caught a few lines from the song before he completely drifted off.

All those numerous smiles and tears
Become an essay
With a title called memories
And as time flows only dust will gather on top of it
And we, without coming to an end
I'll wish you to become a writing that will constantly be written...

[Nell - Onetime Bestseller]

 

 

 

 

 

...................................

A/N: Dear readers, presenting to you the sixth instalment to my short story. After finished writing this, I have just realised that there were only few dialogues inserted in this chapter. Ah I apologise for that shortcomings. I will try to do better on the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading this whizzed-through work of mine.