The First Summer of Us (우리 첫여름)

Separation Anxiety

June 25th, 2011

Just like two years ago, Yong Hwa woke up early on the first day of Summer Break to go cycling at Hongdae Park. He wore the exact same track suit that he used to wear when he went cycling with her. Except that he had bought a new pair of track bottom since he had torn a hole in his old track bottom. Yong hwa went out from his house quietly so as not to wake up the whole house. Yong Hwa cycled to the junction where they used to meet up before they went cycling together at Hongdae Park. The junction that used to be his stop was now being forgotten. Yong Hwa then continued cycling to Hongdae Park. He loves cycling at that time of the day. He loves the serenity and tranquility of Hongdae that he could only feel at that hour. He loves the refreshing morning air. He knew that she loved it too. 

And everything he did that morning recreate the memories of the past. It's not that he hasn't moved on with his life. It's just that he wanted to keep their memories forever. She was the sweetest thing that had ever happened in his life, and he wanted it to always be. It was no one in particular's fault that they parted ways, was what he had believed all this while.

..................................................

July 4th, 2009

It was Saturday, the first day of Summer Break that year. Yong Hwa woke up early as he had already made a promise with someone to go cycling at Hongdae Park. He put on his favourite pastel blue track top and a white track bottom. After putting on his blue Adidas shoes, he cycled out on his white bicycle from his home to the junction where the road going uphill and the road on the hillside meet. He stopped there and while waiting for that someone, he tried to touch up his hair with his hand to make sure he would look good when she saw him.

It was not long after he arrived at the junction, the girl he was waiting for arrived on her bicycle with a white painted frame and red rims. From far, Yong Hwa could already see the smile on her face. What a beautiful sight to start off the day, thought Yong Hwa. Shin Hye on the other hand, was feeling a bit nervous for it was her first time to spend a morning outdoor with a guy. And her smile was kind of a mix between a happy smile and a nervous smile. The smile grew wider as she approached him.

"Annyeong haseyo. I'm sorry to make you wait for me," said Shin Hye.

"Annyeong haseyo. It's fine. I have just arrived as well so I didn't really feel like I've been waiting for you." Yong Hwa said. "Let's go."

And so the two of them went cycle together to Hongdae Park. It was early in the morning that there were not many cars passing by and the scenery was just nice for the two young people in love to have a sweet moment together. Shin Hye led at the front as they were aware that it was not safe for them to cycle side by side. They only did that when they have reached the park. They had a refreshing morning as they cycled around the park. They could see the spectacular scenery of the park when the sun started to rise. 

"I really love this time of the day. I feel so healthy to be able to breathe in some fresh air." Shin Hye said as they stopped by the lake for a while. The went to sit on the grass by the lake.

"I'm glad you like it," said Yong Hwa.

"Thanks for inviting me to come along with you, Yong Hwa-ssi. Cycling alone would have been boring." 

"Shin Hye-ssi."

"En?"

"Don't you realise we have been quite formal with each other when in fact we have got to know each other for awhile now,"said Yong Hwa.

"Er...yeah. But how shall I address you then since you are my senior?"asked Shin Hye innocently. "Shall I call you Yong Hwa oppa?" She stuttered slightly at the last word. Yong Hwa could see her being shy at her own suggestion. He chuckled. 

"You can just call me Yong Hwa if you want." he said before he added, "When is your birthday? Mine is on June 22nd."

"February 18th"

"That means there is not really a big between us. I'm more comfortable if you call me Yong Hwa. It feels much closer."

Shin Hye lost for words at the mention of "closer". But then she smiled and energetically said, "Alright. if that's what you want. Yong Hwa-ah," Shin Hye gave her first shot at that making Yong Hwa chuckled again and he called her name, "Shin Hye-ah." Then both of them burst out laughing. Yong Hwa liked to see her laughing like that. He held her hand which shocked her. He looked at Shin Hye in her eyes and said, "Will you go with me?"

At first, she didn't really know if what Yong Hwa meant was in parallel with what she understood. So she jokingly said, "Go with you where?"

"I'm asking you to be my girlfriend. I know it is quite early for me to ask you all of a sudden. But we can learn to take it slowly." Yong Hwa said in serious tone. He was afraid if Shin Hye thought he was playing around with her. 

Shin Hye didn't answer him. Instead, she tried to run away from the awkwardness she felt at that moment, so she got up and went to get her bicycle to continue cycling. She turned to Yong Hwa to say, "See if you can catch up with my speed," before quickly cycled off. 

Yong Hwa knew he did not want to lose at the bet so he quickly got up to get on his bicycle. He was being reckless when he tried to speed up that he eventually fell down together with his bicycle. Shin Hye, upon hearing the thump noise behind her, quickly stopped cycling to see what happened and to her astonishment, Yong Hwa was already on the hard rough ground with his white track suit stained with blood. Shin Hye quickly got off from her bicycle and ran to get Yong Hwa. 

"Yong Hwa-ah, I'm so sorry," the look of guilty was expressed on her face. "I didn't know it would turn out like this," Shin Hye said with a trembling voice. Yong Hwa could see her eyes were tearing.

"Hey, it's ok. It's my own fault for not being careful just now." Yong Hwa saw Shin Hye tried to attend to his wound so he grabbed her hand to stop her from doing that. He did not want her to see the real mess behind that white track suit he had on him. "It's not that bad. It's just a small wound," Yong Hwa said covering his knee. He gritted his teeth to endure the pain.

Shin Hye just nodded slightly and told him to go to the hospital with her. She helped him to get up and walked with him to the entrance of the park and then she called a cab. Before that she had texted her older brother to help her get the two bicycles home. The cab arrived after few minutes to send them off to the nearest hospital.

As they arrived at the hospital, they quickly went to the Emergency Department. The nurse in charge told Shin Hye to wait outside while they cleaned and dressed Yong Hwa's wound. When Yong Hwa came out from the treatment room, he was limping slightly so Shin Hye went to his side to help him. They went to the registration counter to present the medical card that Yong Hwa had with him so that they would not be charged for the treatment. As they walked along the hospital corridor, they bumped into a doctor who happened to know Shin Hye.

"Oh, annyeong haseyo, Dr. Seo," greeted Shin Hye in a polite manner.

"Ne, annyeong haseyo. Are you here for your treatment?"

"Eh?" Shin Hye stole a glance at Yong Hwa to see his reaction when the doctor mentioned about the treatment. And as she expected, he looked curious. She quickly told the doctor the real reason they were there. And fortunately, Dr. Seo was in a hurry that he couldn't really have a longer talk with Shin Hye. He apologised before he left the two young students on their own. 

"Your treatment?" Asked Yong Hwa immediately after the doctor left.

"Ah..that. He was my doctor when I was admitted into the hospital due to traffic accident in early March this year," Shin Hye explained. "He probably have forgotten that I have recovered since he is used to see me for the whole month in March." Shin Hye lied at the second statement. 

"You had been in an accident before?" There was a worried look on his face.

"Yeah. But it wasn't that bad. I just had minor injuries. But my back felt painful after that. They said it was the impact of the accident. So I have to receive rehabilitation treatment for the pain to go away." Shin Hye explained trying to ease Yong Hwa's worries.

"I see." Yong Hwa nodded to show he understood her meaning. Shin Hye quickly urged Yong Hwa to go back home straightaway before he managed to ask more. On their ride home on the cab, Shin Hye distracted Yong Hwa to talk about their childhood experience. Yong Hwa on the other hand was enjoying the conversation they shared that he forgot the pain that he felt on his injured knee. 

.........................................

June 25th, 2011

Yong Hwa was still sitting by the lake. The same lake that witnessed his confession to her. Yong Hwa was glad that he had the courage to ask her out back then. He knew he had made the right choice. Just then Yong Hwa turned his head sideways to look at the path where he fell down from his bicycle. The pain he felt back then due to the injury did not hurt as much as the pain he felt in his heart right now. The pain of longing...the pain of not being able to do anything to stop her from leaving him.

 

Regretting like this because I can't return
I can't forget so I carry it through my whole life
Forgive my weak courage
And my worthless sorrow

A second like a minute, and a day like a year
It feels so long
Memories of you that I thought I could forget
Become clearer with time, now it feels like I can grasp them with my hands

I suppose it's impossible to become faint, the dark dark longing
I can't forget it so I carry it through my whole life
Forgive my weak courage
And my immature everything  

[Nell - 1.03]

 

 

 

.........................................

A/N: Dear readers, here is the fifth instalment to my so-called short novel. I guess by now, you will already have in your mind the idea of what happened to Shin Hye. I know some of you might hate me for writing this kind of story because right now, I feel the same as you. Somehow, I did not know why should I write this story in the first place. Oh and I know I said I would take a short break but I started writing this chapter earlier this morning and went to touch it up a bit after I came back from my practical. That explained how I was able to put this up. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this slipshod work of mine. And please do stay tuned if you wish to discover how the truth unfold to Yong Hwa as well as the journey of the two lovers through out all the sweet and bitter moments.