The Day I Chose To Stay (그날 난 머물러 결정했다)

Separation Anxiety

June 22nd, 2011

It was a busy day in Hongdae's Graduate College. As it was the last week before the summer break, the students took the opportunity to have their final preparation for the College Festival which will be held before the autumn term starts in August. Some students could be seen bustling here and there, carrying decorative papers with them. A group of students were busy practicing the dance steps they have just learned while another group of students were memorising their scripts for a play and practising the way of delivering the lines in effective emotions.

Yong Hwa and his bandmates were in the music room, practising for their part of performance in the festival. They were responsible for the ending song during the festival which was to be performed after the play and as the closure of the festival. They were having the third round of practices while waiting for the joint rehearsal with the acting team in the theatre rehearsal studio next door when suddenly the door was opened. The four of them spontaneously turned their heads towards the door to see who it was.

"Oh Eun Jung-noona, it's you. Is it our turn for joint rehearsal?" asked Yong Hwa acting responsibly as the leader of his band.

"Yeah. Let's go to next door. Act 4 was about to end already," said Eun Jung while pointing her thumb to the right signalling them to go next door. She stood at the doorway, holding the door to make a way for the band as they needed to carry some of their instruments.

Jong Hyun led the rest of them walking out of the music room while Yong Hwa was the last one to leave the room as he always made sure that all the switches turned off. When Yong Hwa reached the doorway, Eun Jung gave a light pat on his back as if he was her dongsaeng. "I am glad you've been doing well since she left," Eun Jung told him sincerely.

Yong Hwa nodded and smiled. "I have all her dreams and hopes to live for. I will do my best to live for the day when we meet again so that she could tell me that she is so proud of me."

Eun Jung understood his meaning. She honestly felt touched by his statement, "Yeah. You're right. Maybe I should think the same way like you did."

Eun Jung was their senior. She's older than Yong Hwa by a year. Someone he got to know through Shin Hye. Eventhough Eun Jung graduated from the college last year,she still dropped by the college for the play practice and rehearsal. You could say that she was one of the founder of the Drama Club. Thanks to her that the Drama Club was still active at that time. Eun Jung was from the Department of Drama and Dance. Because of her deep love for acting, she established the Drama Club so that the students from the other department can join and get a taste of what it feels like to be up on stage with the limelight focusing on them.

All four of them walked into the studio. Yong Hwa took a deep breath as he took his steps into the studio as he knew he would have this bereaved feeling like a lump of stone stuck in his heart. The ambient air in the studio still smell the same as when he saw her performance for the first time. The day he first came into the studio to hand out the flyers for their first band performance in the Student's Union. The additional effort they made due to the cancellation of the first scheduled performance.

They settled themselves at the spot near the large screen windows where their instruments were earlier. The rehearsal went on and as usual they have never failed to mesmerize the audiences. You could hear the some of the students saying "cool", "oh so handsome", "I wish I could play like that", or "I wanna have boyfriend like them" if you were to sit among them. Well that sort of gestures and responses are normal, aren't they?

Eun Jung, meanwhile, was observing Yong Hwa's performance. "You look so calm and composed. I could not believe that really happened to you." Eun Jung launched into her own inner monologue. "I miss her, too."

..........................................

June 30th, 2009

"CNBLUE?!!" shrieked a female student, so excited that you could see her jumping slightly out of giddiness while clapping her hands together.

"Yah! Why are you so excited?" asked her friend. The other friends switched their glances with each other before taking another look at the flyer printed in blue in their hand.

"I've seen them performing in Heongdae Park and they were awesome, trust me. Their music just got into your mind and without you knowing you will sing the same song over and over again the next day."

"Really? But what if our taste in music is different?"

"I know but why don't you give it a try? Let's go to the Student's Union tomorrow. If it doesn't satisy your music soul, I say you guys can just walk out from the Union."

"Alright," the rest of her friends said in union.

While the students were chattering about the new band that was going to perform on the next day, the four bandmates were busy handing out the flyers to each and every person they saw.

"Please come to support us," Min Hyuk beamed as that was all he needed to make them come. Min Hyuk is known to be the guy who is generous with smiles. You saw his smile and you can feel like all the burden has been lifted up from your soul. (Oh too much exaggeration here). Min Hyuk later headed to the Student's Union to distribute the flyers over there.

Jong Hyun was distiributing the flyers to students on the second and third floor of the Academic Building while Jung Shin was in charge to distribute the flyers in the college compound. Yong Hwa himself was in charge on the first and ground floor of the Academic Building. Yong Hwa passed by the theatre rehearsal studio and he noticed that there were group of students practising when he peeked inside.

"Ah my job gets easier like this. No need to wander all around to find every single living soul," Yong Hwa eagerly let himself into the studio. He was planning to just give out few flyers to one person and left but when he saw the girl who was having her turn to say out the lines of the play, he decided to stay for a while. Ah so Shin Hye is in the Drama Club, he thought. Just when he got a nice spot for him to view the rehearsal, he could hear a music being played followed by a soft silvery voice of Shin Hye. Indeed, he made the right choice to stay

I've been waiting
I've been searching
For a beautiful one like you

Shin Hye’s dazzling voice captured Yong Hwa’s heart. For a moment, he could feel like the two of them being separated from the reality. He couldn’t hear the sound of his surrounding as everything went silent and all he could hear was Shin Hye’s voice and the sound of the piano accompaniment. He was totally enchanted by her.

I’ve been crying
in the darkness
Like the bottom of the ocean

As a matter of fact, the whole studio was mesmerized by her singing talent.

Please don’t walk away
Till I’m melted by a dream
Don’t think I’m insane
I just want to be loved

[Hey - Gravity (English Version)]

Shin Hye received a big round of applause when she finished singing the last line of the song. Some of the students’ eyes were tearing as they were touched by the strong emotion that came along with the song. As for Yong Hwa, he was spellbound. He gazed in awe at her without realising that his action caught attention of the Drama Club’s vice president, Eun Jung. Eun Jung walked to his side and nudged him in his arm.

Who are you? Are you here for Drama Club?” Eun Jung asked in curiosity while maintaining her Vice President’s figure.

I’m Jung Yong Hwa from class 2-1. I’m not here for Drama Club. Actually, I’m here to hand out this flyer of my band as we’re going to have our first performance in the Students’ Union tomorrow afternoon.” He quickly handed one to Eun Jung in a polite manner. “Please do come to support us.”

Oh you’re the member of the new band that was supposed to perform last week.” Eun Jung interjected.

Yeah,” Yong Hwa nodded in a slight embarrassment wondering if she knew the real reason behind the cancellation.

I will try to come. It sounds interesting to discover new music talent here in our college. Especially from juniors like you.” said Eun Jung before being reminded her real intention of talking to him. “Oh bytheway, I saw you were completely absorbed into her singing. Was it really good?

Yeah. I didn’t know she could sing that well,”

Oh you seem to know her

Yeah, I do. Though not that well,”

I see. She’s different from the others. She has the ability to show strong emotion perfectly. When we first had club meeting in February, at first I thought she seemed to be the quiet type but when I asked the new club members to shout out the reason for joining this club, I knew I have to train her well. i want her to discover and nurture her talent.” Eun Jung didn’t take off her eyes of Shin Hye. Then she continued, “ I am not the kind of person who easily find an attachment to someone. But it’s different with her. I have already considered her as my younger sister.” Then Eun Jung turned to look at Yong Hwa, “Yong Hwa, if you do have a heart for her, you would rather take a good care of her, you get it?” Warned Eun Jung

Yong Hwa was shocked to hear her say that. “Ah ne, Eun Jung-noona.” Yong Hwa could feel his ears were getting hotter due to the embarrassment. Eun Jung gave him a sly smile before walking back to her acting team at the center of the studio. Just then the acting team dismissed. Yong Hwa quickly went to get Shin Hye and complementing her the best he could and gave her the flyer hoping that she would really come to watch his performance.

Of course, I will. I would love to see how you actually perform with your band instead of the idea you gave me in the library,” Shin Hye said jokingly. She showed her “hwaiting” pose to him making him more energetic to perform on the next day.

..........................................

June 22nd, 2011

Yong Hwa went back home straightaway after the rehearsal as he was completely exhausted. The moment he reached home, he quickly took a bath and laid down on his bed. When he closed his eyes, he was reminded of what Eun Jung said to him earlier that day. 

"I'm glad you've been doing well since she left."

He just realised it. It's not just him that was affected by that. He was sure that Eun Jung was in the same position as he was. What even Shin Hye's family. "I hope they are doing well," he prayed quietly. He turned to his side so that he could see Shin Hye's picture before he slept. All he ever wished for was to be able to have a vivid dream of all those beautiful precious moments he had with her. 

Longing for you, I open the door to welcome the memories

I keep crying until the corner of my eyes turns red

Longing for you, I open the door to welcome the memories

But again, my heart keeps getting broken

 

 

 

 

.............................................

A/N: Dear readers, here is my third chapter. I am sorry if I still haven't given any clue of what happened to Shin Hye but I will try to reveal it probably by the sixth chapter. This is because I have planned for the next two chapters to mainly focus on the sweet part of the memories before entering the sad part (well I hope so). Please stay tuned ^_^. Bytheway today was a hard day for me. I have finished wiritng this chapter but when I clicked update, everything was gone. i had to rewrite everything from scratch. I was about to cry but my sister told me "Maybe it was because your storyline was not that good." So I took it positively and tried my best to rewrote the chapter. Thank you for spending your time to read this shoddy work of mine.