Call.

Call Me Maybe

Aya's P.O.V.

 

 

“Who knows? You might finally get a boyfriend through this.” Kisa-chan said as she wrote my phone number on a paper bill.

 

 “Give me that!” I said, trying to snatch the bill from her hands.

 

 “Here’s our payment.” Kisa-chan said as she paid for our ramen.

 

 “YAMEROOOOOOO!!!!” I said, but it’s too late. She had given it already. “Baka! You still believe in those kind of things? What if a bad person got my number??”

 

 “Then that would be terrible.” She chuckled.

 

 We went out of the ramen shop.

 

 As we were walking on our way to our house, a guy suddenly bumped into me. I was too shy to look up so I just quickly walked away without even glancing at his face.

 

"Omaera!!" the guy yelled. "Oi!"

 

I grabbed Kisa-chan’s hand and ran home.

 

 “That was rude.” She said.

 

 “Urusai.” I replied.

 

 We then reached our house which was just located in a nearby subdivision.

 

 Kisa-chan and I are living in the same house because we are childhood friends and our parents decided to put us both under the same roof since we’re attending the same university. It’s still our vacation now.

 

 ******************************************************************************************

One week later…

 

 “Oi, Aya-chan!” Kisa-chan yelled from upstairs.

 

 “Nande???” I yelled back.

 

 “Your phone is ringing.” She said as she ran down the stairs and handed me my cell phone.

 

 I took my phone from her and flipped it open. “Moshi moshi?”

 

 A guy from the other line answered. “Ah, ano… Konbanwa…”

 

 “Do I know you?” I asked.

 

 “Iie… I just dialed the phone number in the paper bill I just received earlier.”

 

 I quickly hung up.

 

 “Who was that?” Kisa asked.

 

 “He called me because he found my number on that bill you paid to the ramen shop.”

 

 “Eh?? A ‘he’?” Kisa-chan said with wide eyes. “Is his voice good??”

 

 “Hah?” I replied. “I don’t care.”

 

 “Call him back.”

 

 “Why in the world will I ever do that?”

 

 “Because you hung up without telling him you’ll be hanging up already.” Kisa said, “Just when will you stop being rude to people?”

 

 “I don’t mean to be rude.” I pouted.

 

 “Please be sensitive to the people around you.” Kisa said. “If you really didn’t mean to be rude then call him back and say sorry.”  And where’s my bag that you borrowed yesterday?”

 

“I borrowed your bag?”

 

 “Ugh, you’re awfully forgetful. Just go upstairs and call that person back and say you’re sorry for hanging up quickly.”

 

 “I won’t.” I said as I marched upstairs to my room.

 

 It’s already eight in the evening. I took a quick bath and after that I sat down on my bed to watch television. I got bored immediately so I decided to search for Kisa-chan’s bag.

 

 Honestly, I really don’t remember borrowing her bag yesterday but i do remember what it looks like so I went round and round in my room searching for it.

 

I looked inside my cabinet and there it is, a yellow shoulder bag with pink polka dots for design.

 

 Oh, I did borrow it. As Kisa had said, I really am awfully forgetful. I guess being forgetful and being rude (without me knowing it) are just in my nature.

 

 I decided to just give it to her tomorrow because she might be asleep already at this time.

 

 I turned the television off and prepared my bed. I also turned off the room light, leaving only my lampshade on.

 

 As I moved my blanket, I found my phone and I thought about earlier’s conversation with that guy. He sounded kind. Should I call him back like Kisa-chan had suggested? What if he’s already asleep? Will he get mad at me? And, what if he really is a bad person and he wanted to see me? And what will happen to me if I agreed to meet him?

 

 GAH!!! My mind is so messed up. I am so messed up. *sighs* Nevermind what will happen next…

 

 I looked up my recent calls and found his number. I hesitated to call so I just texted him: “Gomen nasai for hanging up earlier.” And then I closed my eyes to sleep.

 

 *phone rings* Oh gosh, it’s his number. He’s calling me again.

 

 “Hai?” I said, answering my phone.

 

 “It’s fine.” He said.

 

 “Nani?”

 

 “I mean your hanging up earlier, it’s fine by me. But don’t do that again…it’s kinda rude.”

 

 “Yeah, I get a lot of that. Thank you very much.” I rolled my eyes.

 

 “Ano…may I ask what’s your name?”

 

 “Eh?? You tell me your name, you’re the first one who called anyway.” I said. He didn’t say anything for about ten seconds so I thought about hanging up once again.

 

 “Ryosuke.” He finally said just in time because I was about to hung up already. “Yamada Ryosuke desu… anata wa?”

 

 “Sakurai Ayane desu. Call me Aya for short.”

 

 “Sakura-chan.” He said, I can hear him chuckle a bit.

 

 “Sakura-chan your face! Nobody calls me that!”

 

 “Then I’ll be the first person on earth to call you that then.” He said with even more laughter. I didn’t reply for a bit long.

 

 “Oi, oi, oi…don’t hang up again, you cardcaptor.” He laughed. I could tell that he’s already dying of laughter because he’s making pig noises already.

 

 “HAHAHA… You sound like a pig! Don’t worry, I won’t hang up….” I replied, “Yama-BUTA.”   It’s now my turn to laugh at him.

 

 We continued to talk. I honestly didn’t think that it would turn out like this. It’s weird that there’s nothing I know about him except his name and voice but I find it comfortable talking with him.

 

 This guy…whoever he is… I’m starting to think that maybe he isn’t bad after all.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 For a week, Ayane and Ryosuke continued talking on the phone with each other every night.

 

 At times, they would often lose track of time and would talk to each other for an hour or so without them knowing it. They would even fall asleep while they’re still on the phone sometimes.  And they’re just talking about thing that are of nonsense like TV shows, food, and the noises they make while they are laughing.

 

 As each day passed, they grew closer and more comfortable with each other.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________