Open Wounds...

Stupid Me

(Dane’s Point of View)

“Yeobeosaeyo?” Liz answered.

“Hey Liz! It’s me. Do you know where Chan Yeol is?” I asked her. “I just need to tell him something important.”

I couldn’t hide my happiness for I knew how Chan Yeol felt for me.

“Dane,” Liz voice became sad. “We need to talk.”

“Talk about what?” I suddenly got worried.

“I can't tell you on the phone. Let’s meet somewhere,” Liz said and I agreed.

As she hung up, I touched my neck and found a necklace.

“He gave it to me last night,” I caught myself smiling alone.

I then prepared everything I need and went out of my apartment. Liz and I met at the park. I suddenly remembered that Chan Yeol was with me here when I saw Jong In with another woman. As I sat down, I saw Liz wiped her tears.

“What is it Liz?” I asked my friend.

“I-I don’t know how to explain it to you Dane,” Liz cried even more.

“Explain to me what?” I started to have a bad feeling about it.

“Chan Yeol’s dead Dane. He died four weeks ago,” Liz cried out loud as she said the last words.

My heart stopped from that moment. I couldn’t believe it for I was with Chan Yeol for that whole four weeks. Tears started to drip from my eyes one by one then continues.

“No…you’re lying Liz. He just called me last week. And…and he told me that he was looking for me. He even asked you where I was,” I told to Liz as I put my hands on my face.

“No one asked me where you were that time Dane…”

“And he even called me that day. A lot of times,” I explained to Liz since I couldn’t believe her.

“Dane, it was her mother who was contacting you and you’re not even picking up!” Liz shouted to me.

“We…we even went to a dinner last night because it was my birthday. You’re lying Liz!!!” I got angry at her and couldn’t control my emotions anymore.

“No…no…no…I’m telling the truth.” Liz said.

I felt dizzy already and I didn’t even know why. I felt my whole surroundings got blocked out.

“Dane? Dane?!” Liz’s voice echoed in my head.

I didn’t know what had happened after that. As I slowly opened my eyes, I was in the hospital already and Liz was talking to the doctor. I couldn’t hear anything for I was still not feeling well. As Liz came to me, she touched my crown.

“Wha-what happened?” I asked her as I stuttered and looked at my surroundings again.

Liz wasn’t even talking. She was still crying. Then I saw a man beside her and hugged her.

“What’s going on?” I tried to stand up but someone stopped me.

“Calm down darling. You need to take a rest,” as I looked up, I saw Chan Yeol’s mother.

“Mrs. Park, what are you doing here?” I asked since I saw her not even clear.

“I’ll explain once you’re ok,” Mrs. Park said and I took a rest again.

I heard murmurs. In a dark way, I saw a small light coming towards me. as it got closer, a body of a man formed and as it came even closer, I saw the man’s face.

“Chan Yeol,” I said as I got awaken.

Mrs. Park was still there with me even Liz and Chan Yeol’s hyung, Joon Myeon.

“How long have I been sleeping?” I asked all of them.

“Three days my dear,” Mrs. Park said.

She signaled the two to go out for a while. I don’t even know what’s really happening but then, I started crying again.

“Darling, don’t cry. It’s not good for your health. There’s life inside you,” I looked at Mrs. Park while tears still flow from my cheeks.

“What do you mean?” I asked her politely.

“You’re pregnant my dear,” she said calmly as she touched my stomach.

“No…no… no… no… no… no…” I said as I cried even harder. “This is not possible!”

I shouted but Mrs. Park hushed me.

“Calm down my dear. Chan Yeol wouldn’t like that if he’s still alive.” She smiled at me but there’s sadness.

I looked at her and she looked back.

“I know that it’s hard to accept my dear. But we have to even though it pains us so much,” she hugged me and rocked me like I’m a baby.

“I didn’t even know how he died. I swear that he’s with me the whole time,” I cried in her arms.

“Chan Yeol loves you so much. He told me that every single day but he never told you,” Mrs. Park confessed.

“He did tell me Mrs. Park,” I looked at her as I broke the hug.

She looked surprised from I just said.

“But that’s impossible…”

“And I love him the way he loves me,” I cut her from talking and cried again. “He even gave me a birthday present yesterday. He remembered that it was my birthday.”

I explained to Mrs. Park and looked at me again.

“He even gave me a necklace,” I showed Mrs. Park the necklace and she was startled to see it.

“It’s my necklace,” Mrs. Park said.

“It’s-it’s yours?” I asked her and she nodded.

“I gave it to Chan Yeol when he turned eighteen. I told him that he should keep it and when he finally found the right girl for him, he would give it to her and make a promise on that necklace. The promise of an eternal love,” Mrs. Park said.

She wiped her tears away and looked at me again.

“Did Chan Yeol really give that to you yesterday?” Mrs. Park asked me.

“Yes, he did,” I answered and she felt glad. “He even gave me a ring on my eighteenth birthday.”

As I showed her the ring, she cried even harder.

“That ring resembles everlasting love. It’s a bound of a promise, the wedding,” her last words surprised me.

“But how was that possible?” I asked her.

“That ring has a partner. That ring was mine and the other was his father’s. His father and I promised to each other in that ring that we’ll love each other eternally. Because that ring is a promise of true love,” she cried and sighed for a while.

As she took off the ring on my finger, she looked at it for a while.

“But fate didn’t let you to be together,” she looked at me. “A tragic love came to both of you.”

She explained everything to me how Chan Yeol died. He was on his way to me when he got into an accident. When he was sent to the hospital, he didn’t even make it and died without even telling each other how much we love one another.

“But I hope that, THAT miracle comes true,” Mrs. Park said.

“What do you mean by THAT miracle?” I asked her.

“Once, that child in you came out, you’ll can have all the answered to your questions,” she said.

She left me puzzled but I waited for that day to come.