07

Dance with Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun couldn’t stop giggling.  Jieun rolled her eyes.  What was he?  A teenage school girl?  She wanted to tape his mouth together at the rate he was going.

“Why are you laughing?”  She asked, taking her eyes off her work. “It’s very distracting.”

“I can’t believe you two.” He looked at her with those knowing eyes, which said, you-know-who-I’m-referring-to.  It was the day after evaluation but also a day before their exams, so the two of them were both stuck studying.  So they were spending their Sunday stuck in the café they always went to.

“What can’t you believe?”  She asked anyway.

“That Jongin is into you, but he thought you liked me and has been acting like a jealous puppy all the time.  That’s funny Jieun.”  Sehun had found out what happened from Jieun and really for all of this to happen, he was happy for the both of them.

“So did he ask you out and everything?” He asked with eager eyes.

She shook her head.  “I don’t know what we actually are right now.”

“Ask him.  That solved all the other problems.”

 He straightened his shirt before continuing, “And now, there should be nothing stopping you and Jongin getting together.”

“But…”

“No buts Jieun.  You should do something before Jongin is completely convinced you like me not him.”  He said with a laugh.  “Though I feel like I should make good use of this point and make Jongin feel extremely jealous.”

Jieun threw her jacket at him.  “You’re so childish.  Where is Jongin anyway?  I thought he was coming too?”

Jongin attended the same arts school as Sehun, so naturally Sehun saw Jongin a lot and usually knew where he was. 

Sehun looked at Jieun with a distracted expression.  “He probably forgot and went to the studio to practise.”

- - -

Jieun had left Sehun at the café to go find Jongin who she suspected was probably at studio practicing. But when she arrived at the SM building, which was starting to be swamped with fans camping out, she felt a bit intimidated. 

“Moonkyu, come back here!” 

It was the first time she saw such a lost Jongin.  He was standing straight ahead of her in the corridor of the bottom floor.  He seemed to be calling after another boy who just walked passed her at the building entrance.

When Jongin caught sight of her, he went up greeted her with a quick hi and pat her shoulder, before turning his attention to the boy, presumably by the name of Moonkyu.  Moonkyu was tall like Jongin, but his build was on the leaner side.  His bangs were long and covered most of his forehead.  He had stopped at Jongin’s call and stood at the entrance.

“Why did you quit without telling me?”  Jongin asked, Jieun noticing that his clutched fist was shaking.

But unlike Jongin who was getting worked up and talking without restraint, Moonkyu replied back in a much more calm and resigned manner. 

“Because I know you will stop me.” 

Jieun tried to make sense of the situation and realised that it was probably because of the recent trial group selection for the boys.  It had been a while since SM had put together a trial group with the possibility of debuting in the near future, so the recent evaluation had been deciding factor for the chosen members. And from what she could make out, Moonkyu wasn’t one of them.

“Why are you giving up so easily?”  Jongin asked.

Moonkyu shook his head at Jongin.  “You just don’t understand, do you?  Someone like me, can never be someone like you.  I already know where my limits lie.”

She supposed those words pierced Jongin, because she could see the shock in his eyes.

“Is this what you really thought of me… all this time Moonkyu?”

Moonkyu shook his head in protest. “Even though I’m quitting, we’re still friends Jongin.”  

Moonkyu then looked suspiciously and curiously towards Jieun. “You don’t tell me everything either.  I’ve got to cram school now.  Let’s talk about this later.”

Jieun had to admit that this Moonkyu was a perceptive guy.  It was the first time she had ever seen him yet from the look he gave her, it felt like he knew what was happening between her and Jongin.

Jongin ruffled his hair in frustration and turned to indifferent Moonkyu angrily.  “What makes you think we’re still gonna be friends after this?” 

Moonkyu smiled, “No worries, I’ll see you at school tomorrow and the day after that.”

Once Moonkyu had disappeared out of their sights, Jieun saw that Jongin still stood there, his hands rubbing his temples in frustration.  Jieun decided that Jongin needed some calming down to do.  So, she quickly grabbed onto one of Jongin’s wrists and pulled him along.

“Let’s go for a walk.”  She said, when Jongin looked at her puzzledly.

As they walked along the street and found themselves in the park again, Jongin after a moment of silence, began to explain, “That was Moonkyu.  I never got a chance to introduce him to you, but he is…well was, a good friend of mine.”

“He seems like a good guy.”

“Yeah he is. I’m just angry that he gave up just like that, when we’ve been through so much together.”

“But maybe because he went through all of that, he could make up his mind.”

“What do you mean?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter