Time Machine

Forever Love

 

Time Machine Jonghyun wished he had a time machine. He wanted to go back in time to tell Key that he also felt the same way. Just one mistake caused him to regret everything that had happened.

"J-Jonghyun?" Key weakly said, lifting his head from Jonghyun's lap.  

"Yes?" He answered while softly running his fingers through Key's hair, fixing the misplaced strands.

"Where are we now?" His voice was hoarse from crying earlier.

"We're almost to the hospital. You can continue to sleep if you want. I'll wake you up when we arrive." He said and patted his empty lap, inviting Key to place his head back. 

He sighed and rested his head on Jonghyun's lap. It was silent for a while, until Key broke the silence. "J-Jonghyun?" He asked tentatively. "Do you really love me? I mean ... I heard you say something earlier at the accident scene, but I wasn't too sure." His words flew out of his mouth at a faster pace. "I mean, it's alright if you don't want to repeat yourself. But I was just wondering if you do really lo-" Jonghyun leaned over and placed his lips gently on Key's, reassuring Key of his feelings.

"Go to sleep." He said after pulling away from him. "We have the rest of our lives to make up for the time we've lost over the years." Jonghyun mumbled to him.

His fingers playfully swept Key's bangs away from his eyes. Under the touch of his fingers, Key's face felt hot. He's getting sick.Jonghyun internally frowned and focused his attention back on the situation, Onew's accident. Hyung, thank you for saving Key. I didn't expect this at all. Thank you for giving me a chance to tell him how I feel. I will save you, you're going to survive this. Just hold on until we arrive, don't leave us. I need you. Most of all, Key needs you.

"Taemin! Quit dancing and get over here right now!" His manager waved him over to the room. "Yes?" He folded his hands behind his back and smiled. "This patient, has just come back from recieving surgery. You will be his personal nurse until he is discharged from the hospital. He should be waking up in the next hour or so. Take care of him well. If you do your job exceeding my expectations, then I'll have a talk with my boss about prompting you to a higher position." His manager walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. Taemin grabbed the clipboard. "So Lee Jinki is your name." He mumbled and took a seat next to the bed. "Ugh- I hate this job." He sighed and flipped on the television. 

Entering the hospital, Key followed Jonghyun to see Onew. His body was trembling, the nurse had told them that Onew had just gotten out of the surgery room an hour ago. "Give me your hand." Key jumped at the sound of Jonghyun's voice. He complied and stuck out his hand. Jonghyun grabbed it and pulled Key close to his side. "Squeeze my hand if you can't handle seeing Onew, okay?" He nodded and bit his lip, as they entered the room. 

Taemin was in the bathroom, his eyes trained on his body, trying to perfect a dance move. "Aish! What is wrong with you Taemin!? Why can't you get this move down!? It's not even that hard!" He smacked his head and frowned.

"Yah- you're talking to loud." Taemin turned around and met eyes with Onew.

"Oh..." He was speechless. "Sorry." Taemin bowed and turned off the lights in the bathroom.

 "When did you wake up?" He asked, quietly sitting by Onew.

Onew didn't reply and closed his eyes. "How are you feeling?" He asked and waited for Onew's reply. He waited, but received none. "Um, your name is Lee Jinki right?" Silence answered him. Taemin sighed and turned his back to Onew. "People like you piss me off all the time." He snickered under his breath and stood up to continue dancing.

"Get out of my room kid. I don't want you here." Onew mumbled without giving Taemin a glance.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't. I'm going to loose my job if I do." 

"I don't care. Get out." Onew bluntly responded. 

Taemin scrunched his eyebrows together. "I honestly can't afford to loose my job. I'm going to stay here no matter what." 

"I said. Get. Out. Now." His voice hardened and cracked open his swollen eyes.

"Fine!" Taemin shouted and stomped out of his room, running right into Jonghyun and Key. 

"Ah-Sorry!" He bowed and turned to leave. Key hid farther behind Jonghyun. "Ready?" He asked. Key nodded and tightened his grip. 

"Onew hyung?" Jonghyun walk over to his bedside. Onew had his eyes closed, pretending to be asleep. "O-Onew..." Key's voice cracked. His heart skipped a beat, after hearing Key's voice. What are you doing here? You shouldn't see me like this. A tear threatened to escape from his eyes. 

"O-Onew!" Key let go of Jonghyun's hand and replaced it with Onew's. "I-I'm sorry Onew. I'm so sorry. Please be alright. Don't die, I-I don't know what I will do if you died." Key sobbed on his chest. 

"Key, go in the hallway. I'll call you back in when he wakes up. Go get him some food. I'm sure he'll be hungry when he wakes up." He gently touched Key's shoulders and kissed his forehead when he stood up. "A-alright." He wiped his nose and eyes. 

The moment Key left the room, Jonghyun drops to his knees. "Thank you Onew hyung. I deeply owe you for saving Key's life. It means so much to me. Thank you for giving me a chance to show Key how much I love him. I wish that I had a time machine, to turn back time to stop you from getting injured and to tell Key how much I love him. I regret keeping my true feelings from him. If I told him sooner, you wouldn't be here right now.So thank you. Thank you so much." 

My heart aches. I love him too Jonghyun. I saved Key not for you, but for himself. He deserves to be happy. And if you're the one that makes him happy, then so be it. Just make sure he doesn't get hurt. If he does then you're going to pay for it.

"It's alright Jonghyun." Onew quietly said while giving him a small smile. "Onew hyung!" He stands back up and rushes to hold his hands. "You're awake!" He exclaims and grins.

Key walks in with the food he picked out for Onew. "Key, he's awake!" He nearly drops the container and sets it down on the table. "Hey." Onew weakly greeted him. Key smiles and shyly walks over. "Hi. I bought you some food." He motions to the plastic bag resting on the counter. Onew smiles and Jonghyun stands up. "I'll give you guys some alone time." 

They awkwardly sit in silence as Jonghyun closes the door behind him. "Are you happy with him?" Onew asks. Key softly nods. "Good. I'm g-glad to hear that." His voice cracks from holding back his tears. "Want to know something?" He asks Key. I should tell him. Before he completely forgets me. "I've been hiding this from you for a while, but I-" Onew was interrupted by Taemin, who had entered the room. "Lee Jinki, it's time for your medicine!" He cheerfully shouted while smiling. 

"Go on," Key urged him, curious of what he was going to say. "Tsk, tsk! He can tell you after taking his medicine and nap. I'll give you a call when he wakes up again!" Taemin pushed Key out of the room. "Bye Onew!" He hastily hollered before leaving. Onew sadly smiled. Love you... He finished in his head. "I've already injected your medicine in the IV bag. Make sure to keep your needle in, or else your weakened immune system is going to shut down rapidly." Taemin told Onew and left after patting his head.

You little brat. Key could've stayed longer. He laid in his bed, going through all the memories he had with Key. 

"I guess it's time for me to let go." He mumbled to himself. "He's happy now, there's no need for me to go on living. He'll get over my death eventually." Onew reached over and pulled the tube connecting the IV bag and his needle, apart and closed his eyes. I love you Key. Don't forget about me. There is no time machine to turn back time, so that we could fall in love. Maybe in the next life we'll cross paths again and finally fall in love.

"Why are you out here already?" Jonghyun asked, while reaching for his hands. Key frowned. "The nurse guy told me to leave. He said he'll call when Onew wakes up." Jonghyun smiles. "It's alright, we'll visit him again tomorrow." He says while leaving the building. 

The sun was setting as they walked to the bus stop. "Hey Key," He turned his head, responding to Jonghyun's call. "I love you." He leaned in and kiss Key on the lips. Jonghyun pulled away and Key blushed. "I just thought that it would be romantic to kiss you as the sun was setting." He grinned as he pulled Key in for another sweet kiss.

"Aish, were is my mp3 player?" Taemin grouped his back pockets, checking to see if it was there. He sighed and realized that he left it in Jinki's room when he placed it on the table before injecting his medicine. Taemin pouted as he opened the door to Onew's room. "Sorry to bother you again, but I-" His eyes caught sight of Onew lying still on his bed and the sound of water dripping to the floor. "Ji-Jinki!" Taemin shouted as he noticed that Onew had unplugged himself from the IV bag. "You stupid old man!" He screamed as he ran over to save Onew. "No, please don't." He softly said to Taemin as he tried to reconnect the tubes. "Shut up, you can't purposely die! I-I won't let it happen!" He shouted at Onew. 

"Why not? I am already dead at heart. I have no reason to live." He weakly said, close to death. Taemin's eyes glistened as he stared at Onew. "Because, my brother killed himself. I promised myself from that point on, to not let anyone else in my care die. I'm not about to let you give up so easily." He blinked back the tears as he heard Onew's heartbeat go back to normal, when the medicine kicked in. "Plus, like I said earlier, I can't afford to loose my job." Taemin smiled at Onew and held his hands.