Your voice, I like it.

Habit

 

a/n: I changed the POV from 3rd person to Youngjae’s POV because I just realized how amazing it is to write in first person. Silly me. And yay! I finally update this! ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌( ̄ー ̄)┘

 

---

 

I walked side by side with the blonde boy – or Jung Daehyun, as he had introduced himself earlier after the unfortunate event at the convenience store where he had bestowed upon me the nickname ‘the Elevator Singer’ – towards our apartment block. The weather was kinda perfect and there were people strolling about with their kids in the streets, considering it was weekend. Just a few minutes earlier I had learnt that Daehyun had just moved in to the neighbourhood and that his apartment was on the same floor as mine and Junhong’s.  He also told me (although I never really asked) that he enrolled in the nearby community college which was also the college I was attending. How exciting! I was pretty sure Junhong had assured me “Oh it’s not like you’re going to see him again” or something along that line a couple of days ago.

 

I huffed in annoyance at how wrong Junhong was and crossed my arms. Now the chances of me meeting with the second person after Junhong who knew my possibly biggest and embarrassing secret are getting higher. Daehyun seemed to notice my little act there and he grinned. In one big bite he finished off his popsicle (I would’ve gotten a major brain freeze and my teeth would hurt if I did that and I was surprised he didn’t seem to experience all those) and tossed the popsicle stick into a nearby trash can.

 

“I assume something is bothering you?” He asked. I simply shrugged because I wasn’t rude enough to tell him that he was the cause of it. Nope. Not to mention we were strangers, and I wasn’t really good at talking to strangers. The silence that came afterwards was quite painful but he didn’t seem all too bothered by it. In fact, he even looked comfortable just walking beside me with a smile on his face. Now that I think of it, Jung Daehyun possessed quite a charming smile. I was totally not fawning over him. Don’t get the wrong ideas.

 

“By the way, your voice is really nice.” Now that caught me off guard. If I were drinking at that time I would have sprayed the water all over his pretty face but alas, I had no water with me and I had already finished eating my popsicle so I had nothing to spray him with. Quite disappointing yet relieving, I must say. So, as a result to his sudden compliment I merely stopped dead in my tracks and blinked at him a few times before successfully stuttering a magnificent “E-excuse me?”

 

He stopped walking as well and he turned to face me, his smile never leaving his face.

 

“You have a really nice voice. Hopefully this doesn’t sound creepy but I like your voice.” He said. I gaped at him like a fish out of water for about thirty seconds before snapping out of it. My face was hot all of a sudden and I was pretty sure it was red (for the second time that day and in front of the same person, sheesh) because he started chuckling and boy, was it the most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard. Once again I was not fawning over him, mind you.

 

“Thanks, I guess.” I said as I scratched the back of my head. “I don’t really like to sing in front of people. Only a few people had heard me singing.”

 

“Is that why you were singing in the elevator?” he asked with his head tilted slightly to the side. Well then, if faces could combust spontaneously because of extreme embarrassment I was pretty sure my face would be literally on fire but faces do not spontaneously combust, which left my face to be only metaphorically on fire. He laughed. He ing laughed at me. I wished a lightning would just strike me dead right then.

 

“I’d appreciate it if you don’t mention… that.” I said.

 

“Why not?”

 

“It’s kinda embarrassing.” I started walking past him and avoided his gaze. He walked as well and I heard him quickening his pace to catch up with me. We were quiet once again, until we finally arrived at our apartment block and waited for the elevator in the lobby.

 

“I like singing too. But unfortunately I can’t really sing. For now.”

 

I looked at him. This boy sure talks a lot. Or maybe he was just friendly. So I decided not to be a douche and asked him something to get the conversation flowing.

 

“And why is that?”

 

He tapped a finger on his throat a few times. “Hemorrhage. I like singing so much that I sang almost every day, and apparently it caused a lot of stress on my throat and voila! One vocal hemorrhage for me.” I stared at him. He was awfully cheerful for someone who wasn’t able to do something he liked.

 

“It’s curable, right?” I asked.

 

“Of course. It’s not lethal or anything. The doctor told me to rest my voice but voice resting means I have to stop talking and singing for days but since I’m pretty much a talkative and a stubborn bastard… You can see how well the ‘voice resting’ is going.”

 

It was my turn to grin. The elevator door slid open and we both stepped inside. I pressed the 14th floor button before looking at him again. “If you want to keep singing then you really should follow your doctor’s advice, you know.”

 

“I know,” he replied. “Singing has already becoming a part of my life. I can’t stop it even if the doctor scolded me for ignoring his advice.”

 

“But if you keep on damaging your vocal chord you’ll never be able to sing ever again. You should really learn to shut up, be a good patient and listen to your doctor. Once your throat is all healed up you can go sing all you want.” I never really meant to nag, but it just sort of slipped out and I thought he would be pissed. Apparently he wasn’t pissed at all because he laughed.

 

“You sound like my doctor. I have two doctors to nag at me now. ”

 

I pouted and faced the door instead. A few moments later the door slid open and we stepped out of the elevator.

 

“Well, my house is on the other side of the block. I’ll keep your advice in mind.” He said before waving a hand at me. He walked towards the left hallway and I was about to go right when I heard him calling me.

 

“Youngjae-sshi, I’ll see you later.”

 

“Yeah, see you.” I said as I watched him disappear into a corner. I turned around and walked towards my house, and then it dawned on me. Did he just say “see you later?”

 

Great.