Caught

Habit

 

 

 

Youngjae was on his way back to his apartment when his phone rang. He took his phone out of his pocket and looked at the caller ID. Jepp Blackman. Youngjae sighed exasperatedly.

 

“No. Absolutely not, Yongguk-hyung. Just because I can sing it doesn’t mean I want to perform in front of hundreds of people. How many times have I told you that?” He said, not even bothered to give a proper greeting.

 

 “Yah I haven’t even said anything yet! I did call you about that though but you’ve already rejected my offer yet again before I even got the chance to ask you. You really don’t love your hyung, do you?” Youngjae heard the elder’s sniffle through the phone. Oh here we go again, Yongguk’s horrible attempt of acting as if he’s crying just to get his dongsaengs pitying on him. Youngjae won’t fall for that.

 

The elder had been pestering him about the show since about a month ago and he couldn’t care less about it. Besides, he had a lot of assignments to finish and certainly his mother wouldn’t like it if she found out her only son was out there performing on stage instead of cramming knowledge into his head.

 

“Cry all you want, hyung but I’m not going to change my mind. Sorry.” The boy said as he played with his fringe. It looked interesting all of a sudden. Much more interesting than Yongguk anyway.

 

“Aish, fine! Yoo Youngjae you’re no longer my dongsaeng! I mean it!”

 

“No you don’t.” said boy deadpanned.

 

“Yes I do.” Yongguk replied with a firm voice.

 

“No you don’t.” said Youngjae, one eyebrow raised as if Yongguk could see it.

 

A pause. Then he heard the elder sighing deeply.

 

“Jeez, fine you . I’m hanging up. Talking to you is such a pain; I don’t even know how I could stand you.”

 

“Once again, you don’t mean that at all, hyung. You know you love me more than you love Himchan-hyung.”

 

“That was uncalled for! Yah! Yoo-”

 

“Ta-ta.” He snapped his phone shut before the elder could reply with what Youngjae believed a variety of flowery profanities that would make even sailors weep.

 

Once he hung up he put the phone back into his pocket. He continued walking until he arrived at his block and he pushed the elevator button and waited. There was no one around as it was only 4 pm and most of the residents there were still working. A few moments later there was a ding sound and the elevator door slid open. Youngjae stepped into it casually and when the door closed he pressed the 14th floor button. He turned around once again so his back was facing the door; he closed his eyes and started to sing one of the latest pop songs.

 

Youngjae didn’t know why he liked singing in the elevator so much; it had become a strange habit of his. It could probably because he could hear his voice clearly inside the small box. He was not narcissistic – oh absolutely not – and he definitely wouldn’t be caught dead singing in a karaoke room. So far he had been doing it without anyone noticing because whenever the elevator showed signs of stopping on a floor he would put the singing into a halt and pretended as if nothing happened. He really disliked showcasing his voice in front of people and it was only by chance that Yongguk had caught him singing. 

 

Youngjae had probably put too much emotion in his singing today that he didn’t even notice the elevator had arrived on his floor. It took him until he finished  a couple of choruses that he noted the elevator wasn’t moving. Youngjae stopped his singing and when he turned around he was met with a figure and he swore his heart stopped for a moment because holy mother of god he had an audience.

 

He stared at the boy before him, eyes unblinking. The boy was leaning against the door panel, preventing the door from closing. He was probably around Youngjae’s age, platinum blonde hair in contrast of Youngjae’s black, and had an absolutely charming smile. Youngjae didn’t let the details sink into his brain though because someone caught him singing in the elevator – of all places – god damn it.

 

“Why’d you stop?” the other boy asked, smile unfaltering and it was a genuine innocent question.

 

“Did… did you hear me?” he asked back, ignoring the blonde’s question.

 

“Yes I did.”

 

“Everything?”

 

The boy tilted his head and looked above and his lips were slightly pouted, obviously thinking and Youngjae absolutely didn’t have butterflies in his stomach when he saw the pout. The blond boy then replied, “From the second chorus until the bridge, and then you stopped.”

 

that’s almost everything! Youngjae could feel his face getting hot, and he was pretty sure he had turned as red as a tomato because the boy’s smile was getting bigger that his teeth was showing and his eyes turned into crescents. Without another word Youngjae walked past the boy quietly with his head down and after a few steps outside the elevator, he broke into a run towards his apartment.

 

--

 

“That was so ing embarrassing!”

 

Junhong covered his ear with one hand as he patted Youngjae’s back with the other. He didn’t understand why his housemate made such a big deal out of it. It wasn’t like his voice was absolutely horrible. Youngjae probably had a voice better than some of the singers out there, Junhong always thought.

 

“It couldn’t be that bad. He wasn’t laughing at you or giving you a judging look, was he?”

 

Youngjae shook his head as a response. “Still, it was embarrassing! Who the hell sings in the elevator like it was a normal thing to do?”

 

“You do.” Junhong casually avoided a flying TV remote control that was aimed for his head and sat next to Youngjae on the sofa.

 

“That’s different, okay? Damn it I’ll never use the elevator ever again! I’ll use the stairs instead. Yeah. That should do it. I might lose some weight too now that I mentioned it.” Youngjae said as he pinched his own cheeks and it made Junhong laughed seeing the troubled look on the elder’s face.

 

“Isn’t that a bit too dramatic? You don’t know if that guy lives here or not so you probably won’t see him again.” The younger one said, hoping that it would at least get his hyung to calm down a little. Youngjae looked at Junhong expectantly.

 

“You think so? You really think so? I mean… Yeah. You got a point there. I’m just being over the top, aren’t I?” Youngjae asked as he rubbed his chin, looking thoughtful.

 

“That’s what I was trying to say.” Junhong sighed as he brought his palm to his face. “By the way, hyung. We’re running low on groceries so tomorrow can you buy some supplies? I have to meet up with Jonguppie tomorrow.”

 

Youngjae narrowed his eyes towards Junhong. “Just admit you’re going out on a date with him.”

 

He received a grin in response.

 

 

---

a/n: ... not going to be a one shot, apparently. THIS IS NOT GOING AS I HAD ORIGINALLY PLANNED OTL and good lord you guys even subscribed ;A; thank you 

btw, madu: Wateryoutalkingabout LMAO this is not a ghost story XD y tiemz in elevator tho? I'll think about that 8) *wiggles eyebrows*