First Weekend on the Block: Part II

Apartment Block B

 

Soomin rolled on to her side then rolled on to her back but finally ended up laying on her other side. She laid there for a few minutes the rolled on her back again. Zico’s voice had been taunting her all night. Let’s play…let’s play…let’s play… She finally gave up on sleeping two hours ago and proceeded to roll around. Damn it. That’s it. I even give up on rolling around. Soomin unpacked her clothes from the boxes and picked them up from the floor were Zico and P.O had spread them. A dresser against the wall held most of her clothes. What was left over she hung in the closet. I’ll need more hangers. She opened the drawers on the dresser and picked out some clothes. After grabbing up the basket Taeil had given her she went in for a shower. When she finished Soomin pulled on a pair of jean shorts and a baggy purple t-shirt. She grabbed her comb and pulled it through with ease. Ah, conditioner... Soomin smiled at her clean smooth hair. Let’s play…damn, I can’t even comb my hair without thinking about you. She willed herself to forget so she could enjoy her last day off. You may have ruined my night but I will enjoy the day.

 

 

 Soomin stretched her arms above her as she wandered towards the elevator. Everyone was nice yesterday and I got all my stuff. Today I think I’ll explore the apartment block. She pushed the button to the elevator. A few minutes passed while she waited. Hmm, maybe I should look around this floor.

As she turned to walk away the elevator dinged. The doors opened on Ddong picking his nose. He causally glanced towards the hall.

“Ah, noona!” He quickly pulled his finger out from his face and shoved it behind him.

“Just what I like in a husband, a clean nose.” She replied as she stepped on the elevator.

“R-right, it’s a very attractive feature not many women admire. It’s nice to see noona is different.”

Soomin snorted, “So what are you up to today, besides cleaning your nose.”

“Ah,” Ddong laughed awkwardly, “There is a new tenant moving in today.”

“Oooh, who is it? A family or…?”

“Just one guy.” Ddong whipped around to face her, “Don’t even think about cheating on me with him.”

“Now, now, don’t be the possessive type,” Soomin pinched his cheeks, “I let you call me your wife.”

 

 

When the elevator dinged open on the first floor, Soomin decided to follow Ddong.

“What are you doing, noona?” Ddong eyed her as they continued towards the office.

“Following you, I have nothing to do today so I think I’ll bug you.” She smiled.

“Ah, taking an interesting your husband’s job…such a good wife.”

Soomin nodded sarcastically, “Oh yeah, your job is fascinating.”

When they entered the office the new tenant’s back was to them. He turned towards them when the daejang acknowledged them.

“Ah, Ddong, took you long enough.” She barked at him. “Soomin, what are you doing with this babo?”

“I’m here to help, Daejang!” Soomin stopped and saluted.

The new tenant snorted as her display. Soomin glanced at him, Ah, what the hell? Another looker…are those…dimples? Geez…what is this place, a vortex of  hotties?

 

 

“Well you’re in luck. He has a whole moving truck filled with junk.”

Soomin whimpered through a laugh.

“You don’t have to help.” The new tenant smiled understandingly at her then turned to Ddong, “And I don’t think you’ll really be of help anyway.”

“Now, now, you can’t spoil the slaves. Hard physical labor is what they’re made for.” The daejang shook her head.

“What do you mean I won’t be of any help? I can lift heavy boxes just fine.” Ddong yelled.

“Wait…did you say slaves…s…as in plural?” Soomin cocked her head at the old woman.

“You two are married, aren’t you? Well, it’s a packaged deal.”

Ddong started to approach the new tenant. Soomin grabbed the back of Ddong’s shirt without looking.

“No, no. Let me at him.” Ddong started swinging his arms and legs.

“Packaged deal? Ddong, I want a divorce.” 

“What?” Ddong turned to look at her. “No, you can’t leave me already.”

“Sorry.” Soomin shrugged.

Ddong spun around to face the new tenant, “Damn you and your good looks and your mystery.”

The new tenant had watched the scene play out in front of him. He wasn’t sure if they were serious or pulling a gag. Either way it was hard for him to keep from laughing. When the kid had said ‘mystery’ it had been the last straw. He busted up laughing leaning on the counter for support. All three stopped to watch the new tenant’s laughing fit.

“Noona, he’s laughing at us. Let me shut him up forever.” Ddong started towards the new tenant again.

“Wouldn’t you? Shut him up forever…really? What are you a gangster?”

“Yah, babos, slaves don’t talk back. I’m sorry. They’re a mouthy pair.” The daejang folded her arms across her chest. “He thinks you babos aren’t capable. Get out there and help him. We have a reputation to uphold.”

The new tenant had tried to stop laughing when they started staring at him but he started laughing again when they began bickering.

“Daejang,” he managed between laughs, “Is there anything else I need? I have a feeling you three could keep this up all day.”

“No. Ddong babo, show him to his apartment and help him move his crap in.”

“Roger, daejang babo.” Ddong saluted the daejang then turned to the new tenant, “You, what apartment are you in?”

“Yah,” Soomin smacked Ddong’s head. “Where’s your respect?”

“He insulted me. He’s just like all the other punks that move in here.”

“Fifth floor, apartment twenty-five, Ddong babo.” The new tenant smirked at Ddong.

“Yah,” Ddong yelled as he tried to attack the new tenant again. Soomin grabbed Ddong’s wrist jerking him towards her then threw him over her shoulder his legs hanging down her front.

“Wah, noona,” He cried from her back. “This isn’t right. A man should carry a woman.”

The daejang’s cackles echoed into the hall as Soomin led the new tenant to the elevator with Ddong screaming over her shoulder.

 

 

The elevator doors closed with them on it. Ddong had given up on yelling and rested quietly on her shoulder.

“You two been married long?” The new tenant looked at her sideways.

“I wouldn’t have asked her to marry me if I had known she was this kind of girl.” Ddong grumbled.

Soomin raised her hand and swatted his .

“I can do that too, you know!” Ddong swung his arm back but brought it down it lightly on her lower back.

Soomin laughed, “You can’t even reach my .”

She leaned forward laughing allowing Ddong to slide off her shoulder. Soomin was still laughing when the elevator dinged open on the fifth floor but not before it stopped at the fourth then second floor.

“This way,” Ddong stepped out of the elevator first. “You know you’re pretty luck apartment twenty-five is right by the roof access so it’s kind of like having two patios.”

“But it’s still a common area?” the new tenant asked.

“Yeah,” Ddong nodded. “By the way what’s you’re name?”

“Ah, my name is Lee Minhyuk.”

 

 

Soomin couldn’t remember how many trips they made up and down in the elevator but thirty-something boxes later the moving truck was empty. They also pulled a coffee table and a rolling office chair out of the truck. How can one person have so much stuff? When Soomin commented on it he said most of it was work related.

 

 

“Ah, finally we’re finished. Let’s take off.” Ddong started running down the hall. He slowed he realized Soomin wasn’t behind him. “You coming?”
“I’ll be down in a little bit.” She waved Ddong off.

“I surprised your husband is leaving you alone with m-” He was cut off as Soomin pushed him up the stairs to the roof next to his door. “What wa…mphf?”

Soomin put a hand over his mouth as she peered around the wall. Zico was walking with P.O down the hall. Holy … She quickly dragged him up the stairs and out on the roof. She closed the door behind them quietly.

“What if the outside handle is locked?” Minhyuk whispered in her ear.

Soomin looked at him eyes wide. She quickly tried the handle. It didn’t budge.

“I can call…someone…later…” She mumbled.

“Okay,” He continued to whisper, “What was that all about? Were you hiding from someone?”

“Hah,” She laughed, “No, I, uh, just wanted to see your second patio.”

“So it had nothing to do with those guys in the hall?”

“Yup,” Soomin tried not to look in awe. Geez, he’s quick.

“And you’re just a really bad liar?”

“Yup. Wait…”

He laughed and walked away from the door, “Want to tell me about it?”

Soomin watched him walk away. I haven’t had anyone to talk to…it’d be nice to figure out what I’m gonna do…and how to get Zico’s ‘let’s play’ out of my head… She followed him as he walked towards one of the corners of the roof. There was a large wooden square bench about seven feet by seven feet.

“Yeah, that would be nice.”

They sat on the side that gave them a good view of the city. It was early afternoon and the sun hit light on all the buildings. Soomin could see far across the city. There are so many buildings.

“Tell me why you hid.” Minhyuk cut into her thoughts. He slid his shoes off and turned towards her crossing his legs.

Soomin slid her own shoes off and faced him. She stared down at her legs while she tried to figure out how to begin.

“Uh…” Soomin looked Minhyuk in the face. “Let’s see…how to start…ah, I like these two guys…”

“Oh, one of those stories.”

“Hold on…so I like them both at the same time, but I didn’t realize that I liked them. I didn’t think about one when I was with the other. It wasn’t a conscious effort. I wasn’t trying to juggle two guys…I really didn’t mean to…I wouldn’t even know now if Zico hadn’t see me kiss P.O.”

He laughed, “How do you not realize that you liked two guys?”

“I don’t know!” Soomin pulled on her hair. “I tried to explain to Zico that I didn’t do it on purpose but he didn’t believe me. I didn’t even get to finished talking. I mean I…” Soomin stared off into space. I never said I was sorry.

“Hey,” He waved a hand in front of her face. “What did you remember?”

“I didn’t even say that I was sorry or that I would stop seeing P.O or... Gah! I was really shocked but I still should have said I was sorry, right?”

“What did he say after he saw? Was the guy you kissed still there?”

“No, he was gone. Zico was angry, of course and he called me a player, I think. Then he said something weird and it bugged me all night. Umm, he said ‘If I wanted to play, then let’s play.’ He kissed me and left. What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Sounds like he’s hurt and is going to try and get back at you.”

Soomin nodded, “What do I do?”

Minhyuk started laughing.

“What?”

“Sorry…It’s just isn’t it kind of obvious?”
“Uh…why, yes. Suddenly it is all clear. How could have I eve-”

“Alright, I’ll tell you.” He interrupted her. “You have to figure out which one means more to you. And probably apologize what’s-his-name. Though I’m not sure how effective it will be in subduing him. Sounds like he will make you pay even if you pick him and apologize. Does the other guy even know that this happened?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t talked to either one since yesterday, but they were in the hall together.”

“Hmm, so either he knows or what’s-his-name is going to use it as blackmail.”

“Wow…you’re very…smart.”

“You have three options. Option One: Play innocent and see where everything is. If what’s-his-name is keeping it secret then you can dance around trying to keep the other guy in the dark while doing as what’s-his-face bids. Option Two: Similar to option one, play innocent and see where everything is, but in this scenario what’s-his-face spilled the beans and both know. You either end up alone or kissing both their asses to get back in their good graces…or they may even team up to get back at you. Option Three: Be honest. Apologize to what’s-his-face and tell the other one the truth. Let the chips fall where they may. They’ll either forgive you or maybe one will or you’ll be alone.”

Soomin let out the air in her lungs until her body demanded she take a breath.

“You should probably decide fast. The less time you give what’s-his-face to come up with any new ideas the better.”

She nodded, “Yeah, I...I think I’ll just tell them the truth and apologize.”

“The sooner the better.”

“I know but I’m not ready right now…I want plan out some of what I say. I’ll do it tomorrow, right after work.”

“Just don’t wait too long, what’s-his-face might come to you with some new ideas.”

“Yeah, I know, I know.” Soomin looked up at Minhyuk, “Thank you. I know my problems don’t have anything to do with you. You didn’t judge me or anything. You just listen and gave me advice, so thank you.”

“You’re welcome, but…” He grinned at her. “You’re kind of are holding me hostage on the roof so…”

She squinted at him then stuck her tongue out as she reached in her pocket for her phone. She pushed in the number then held the phone up to her ear.

“Daejang, send Ddong up to the roof.”