Tasty Day on the Block

Apartment Block B

 

 

Ring-Ring, Ring-Ring, Ring-Ring, Ring-Ring

 

 

Soomin rubbed one of her eyes then rolled across the bed towards her phone. She opened the one eye searching for the talk button. After carefully pushing on the phone then pressing it to her ear she answered the call.

“H-h-hello?” Soomin forced herself to form a word.

“Hi!” A chipper voice sounded.

“You happy? W-w-why? M-morning now…” Soomin’s face scrunched in confusion at the voice.

A roar of laughter sounded on the other end. Soomin pulled the phone away from her grumbling. The laughter continued while Soomin rolled away from the phone. She felt her head drift slowly toward sleep.

“Yah!” came a tiny voice. “Yah, don’t go back to sleep!”

Soomin yawned while reaching for the phone. She moaned into the phone when it was pressed against her ear again.

“Ah, good, you’re still awake. This is Park Kyung, your co-worker.”

“Mmm,” She moaned.

“I was calling because we never set up a time.”

Soomin let out another moan.

Kyung started laughing again, “Are you even alive?”

“Y-y-yea, not aw-w-wake…” Soomin forced herself to sit up letting out a sigh, “Time for what?”

“To leave for work?”

“Oh!” Soomin’s brain started working.

“It takes about thirty minutes to get there so add that to whatever time you need to get ready.”

“Ah, yes,” Soomin nodded, wait why am I nodding… “Where do you want to meet up?”
 

“You know where I parked so by the car.”

“Yes, okay,” She found herself nodding again.

“That’s in about an hour, right?” Kyung asked testing her.

Soomin pulled the phone away checking the time, “Yea, meet you in an hour?”

“Don’t go back to sleep.”

Soomin laughed as she hung up. It took all her strength to keep from falling back on the bed. After stumbling into the bathroom, she picked up the tooth brush and started searching for tooth paste. Oh, right…no tooth paste… Soomin looked at her hair in the mirror. I forgot to braid it. I should at least fix it before I bug Taeil…be a presentable leech. After washing away the boogers in her eyes, she wet her hair to tame the mass. It took her ten minutes to pull the comb freely through her hair. A loose bun pulled her hair back from her face. Off to bug my neighbor again…gah, I should go buy that other stuff tonight…oooh, maybe I could get P.O to go with me…use ice cream as payment. Soomin smiled as she walked to the apartment next door.

 

 

The doorbell rang and rapid foot steps sounded behind it. Taeil pulled the door open then ran back into his apartment. He sprinted when he saw it was me, but why leave the door open…

“Cooking, come in.” Taeil yelled.

Soomin entered closing the door and slipped her shoes off. She followed him to the kitchen. He glanced at her and she raised the toothbrush in response. He turned back to the stove laughing.

“You know where the bathroom is.”

 

 

A knock sounded on the bathroom door while Soomin brushed her teeth. She opened it to see Taeil smiling.

“Want breakfast?”

Soomin nodded toothbrush still in .

“It’s ready,” Taeil smiled as he walked back down the hall towards the kitchen.

After she finished brushing her teeth and quickly checked herself in the mirror she went out for breakfast. Taeil was sitting at the counter already eating. He nodded for her to sit down. She sat and started filling with food. I can actually enjoy his good cooking this morning.

“I should just get you a key.”

 Soomin coughed and cleared trying to recover. What did he say?

“What?”

“You been over here everyday since you moved in, I should just give you a key.” Taeil laughed.

“You don’t really know me…I could steal stuff or other bad things…”

“Eh,” He shrugged, “Can’t be any worse than Zico or Kyung or both of them together.”

“Wait…Zico has a key? Do you mean Park Kyung?” Soomin turned looking at him.

Taeil laughed, “Yea, I think it took about five days before he got his key and Kyung was about a week. You beat their records.”

Soomin laughed, “How many people have a key?”

“Hmm, four, I think, not counting P.O as the landlord though I would have given him one as well.”

“Wah, you trust a lot of people.”

“Mmm, they earned it, plus they always come around so I get tired of opening the door for every little thing.”

 

Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong

 

“Like now…” Taeil slid off his stool crossing the room quickly. He opened the door.

“Taeil…” A voiced moaned from the hall.

Soomin got up as she recognized it.

“I forgot to buy sugar…”

Soomin saw Zico with his head in one hand and the other holding on to Taeil for support. She bust up laughing, He forgot to buy sugar…and I forgot shampoo. Zico looked up at the sound of the laughter. His face broke into a smile when he saw Soomin. He pushed past Taeil into the apartment.

“Soomin!”

“Yah, you just ignore me as soon as you see her. Whose sugar are you taking?” Taeil scolded Zico as he started closing the door.

“Yo, wait for me!” another voice sounded down the hall.

Taeil pulled the door back open as Kyung ran up.

“Ah, I should have made more breakfast…” Taeil sighed.

“No worries, I make my own.” Kyung grinned.

“With whose food?”

“Ah, Soomin,” Kyung nodded towards her.

“You know him?” Zico asked.

“Yes, we’re coworkers.” Soomin replied.

“How do you know these two?” Kyung asked as he walked past her and Zico into the kitchen.

“Anybody else out there?” Taeil asked as he closed the door for a second time.

“Next-door neighbor,” Soomin gestured at Taeil, then turning to Zico, “Shopping buddy.”

“Ah,” Kyung laughed as he opened the fridge. “So is this how you get ready every morning?”

“Well so far…I forgot to buy toothpaste when we went to the store.” Soomin answered glancing from Kyung to Zico. She returned to her seat. Taeil started to help Kyung who turned him back out of the kitchen with a push.

“Go eat.”

“Fine, fine.” Taeil sat back down next to Soomin with Zico on the other side of her.

“Kyung,” Zico whined from the edge of the counter. He sat with his head propped up by his hands batting his eyes in Kyung’s direction.

“Why are you whining?” Kyung asked without looking.

“Kyung,” Zico let out another whine.

“What?” Kyung looked at Zico with a cocked eyebrow. “Fine, but I’m not taking requests, you’ll eat whatever I make.”

Zico grinned, “Ah, making breakfast has never been so easy.”

“Kyung,” a deep voice called from the living room.

“What do you want- ” Kyung started to glare at Zico. “That wasn’t you, was it?”

Everyone looked around Taeil’s apartment to find P.O taking his shoes off at the entrance.

“Kyung,” P.O looked up with sad eyes.

Kyung sighed, “Call me hyung and I’ll consider it…”

“Hyung,” the deep voiced sounded again.

“Hey,” Taeil smiled as P.O walked towards the kitchen.

“Hyung,” P.O smiled and nodded, “Auntie says you can have pets as long as she can conduct monthly checks on the apartment to make sure there hasn’t been any damage.”

“Okay, you’re in here all the time, so that shouldn’t be a problem.” Taeil then turned to Soomin grabbing her hand, “Sweetie, we gonna have a puppy.”

 She snorted and tried to keep as much food in .

“What the hell? You told we were having a puppy together…” Zico grabbed Soomin's other hand.

Soomin cleared , “Nope, sorry. If I’m gonna have a puppy with anyone, it’ll be with Kyung, he’s financially secure.”

Taeil and Zico started arguing loudly and P.O joined in. Kyung turned away from the fridge closing as he looked at the bickering guys.

“You guys should just accept it, I’m more desirable.”

There was a silence as the others processed what Kyung said. Soomin snorted breaking the silence followed by howls of laughter from the others. P.O ended up on the floor and Taeil almost put his face in his food. Soomin looked at the other side of her and saw Zico was on the verge of crying. She felt bad as Kyung’s face changed in to a frown.

“It’s not that you aren’t…” Soomin tried to talk without laughing.

“She…she was the first one to laugh at you, hyung.” P.O tried to pull himself back up from the floor.

Kyung scoffed at the younger guy, “Who’s making your breakfast?”

P.O’s eyes went wide, “Hyung, d-don’t be hasty…”

Zico laughed under his breath next to Soomin.


“Yah, don’t you laugh either or you might starve.” Kyung turned to Zico and pointed a green onion he pulled out of the fridge at him. He laughed even harder when Kyung started shaking it threateningly at him and P.O fell to the floor again.

Taeil turned toward Soomin, “Ah, we’re such a mature bunch.”

 

 

Soomin returned to her apartment with a smile on her lips. Those guys… She headed to the bathroom to fix her hair. After undoing the bun, she wet the wavy mass. Once it was damp enough, she straightened it the best she could by running her comb though it. It came out fairly straight with soft waves.

Soomin pouted while she picked out her clothes for work. It’s not like I have much to decide. She stared at her new underwear. I’ll be thinking about him the whole day if I wear these... She pulled on the waist of the purple thong stretching it in front of her. And that’s a bad thing…?

“Gah!” Soomin quickly pulled on the underwear followed by the slacks. She slid her arms into the shirt then buttoned it up. After she finished getting dressed, Soomin grabbed her phone checking the time. Ten minutes.

 

 

As she left her apartment she saw Zico and Taeil were standing in the hall talking. They called out to her as she locked her door.

Soomin waved, “See you later.”

Soomin heard footsteps running behind her as she walked down the hall towards the elevator. She took a quick look to see Zico running after her.

“Hey,” he responded when he realized she saw him.

“Something wrong?” Soomin blinked at Zico.

“Ah, no, not really…” He scratched the back of his head, then looked up at her with a hot grin, “I was just wondering if you were wearing the underwear we pick out together.”

She stopped walking in front of the elevator as her cheeks heated up. Think of something smart to say back. Soomin puffed her cheeks out then press her lips together as she thought.

“What?” She replied her gears starting to turn, “Were you looking at my ?”

“Uh…”

“Pfft, busted!” Soomin laughed.

Zico reached out grabbing Soomin by the wrist and pulled her into him. He racked his hand through her hair while pressing his lips into hers. The elevator dinged as it arrived on her floor.

Zico pulled back, “The elevator is here.”

“What elevator?” Soomin replied as she pulled Zico back to her lips.

Zico’s hand shot out keeping the doors from closing. He put his other hand on her hip and gently pushed her on to the elevator. He gave her a soft kiss before stepping back into the hall. Zico grinned at her as the doors closed.

 

 

Kyung was leaning with his back against the front of his car running his fingers across the screen of his phone. Soomin a breath as he turned his gaze on her. Ah…y business man on his fancy car. She smiled after she caught herself staring.

“Hey,” Kyung smirked knowingly.

“Hi,” Soomin sighed, “I think I’m ready for my second day of work.”

“No jeans today,” Kyung looked her up and down, stopping occasionally. “Pfft, almost nailed it, if you don’t count the converse.”

She stuck her tongue out then replied, “I was trying for a relaxed element amongst all the professionalism.”

Kyung laughed as he came around to her side of the car. Soomin backed up to give him room as he opened the door. He smiled at her while she got in. Soomin sighed while he walked around the car, Why does he have to be so attractive?

Kyung slid into the seat next to her. He started the engine and pulled out.

“So, how did you get my number?”

Kyung glanced at her, “Ah, the secretary. I told her we were carpooling and I forgot to ask you for you number.”

“Ah,” Soomin nodded looking out the window as they pulled into the parking garage of their work building. When they reached the twelfth floor, Soomin said good-bye and went to the design office.

 

 

Soomin put the key into the lock of her apartment. A long day at work, with practically nothing to do. Her project manager, Joonhyun, started her on her first official project. Joonhyun told her the client knew she a new employee so just work with the systems and get used the process. Kyung had met with her and discuss what the client was expecting. She worked on it until the end of the day. She received a phone call from the client with positive feedback as she left for the parking garage. Kyung tried to take her out to celebrate but Soomin remember she was meeting with P.O. Gotta a date with a cutie.

She changed in to her jeans and t-shirt. I’m probably going to have to wear that same outfit again tomorrow. Soomin frowned as she folded her slacks and blouse.

A dull buzzing sound came from her purse. Soomin checked her phone finding a text from P.O telling her to meet him in the courtyard in twenty minutes. Ice cream, ice cream…P.O., she laughed to herself. She grabbed her purse heading out the door after quickly checking herself in the mirror. 

 

Soomin sat on the table top of a bench in the courtyard. I wonder how often I’m going to be waiting in this courtyard for men. A meow sounded next to her followed by something pushing into her. Soomin watched as the cat rubbed its head against her leg. After petting the cat for awhile it climbed into her lap while purring. There was another pressure at Soomin’s back. It made her jump when it first touched her. She looked at her back and saw a red head. Uh, I don’t think you’re cat… A smiling face looked up at her. Soomin doubled over laughing while the cat meowed a protest at her movement. The redhead behind her started laughing too. Soomin turned to get a better look while the cat meowed another protest.

 

 

“Hi,” The redhead held out his hand, “I’m Yukwon.”

“I’m Soomin,” she replied. A cutie with a good smile.

“I see my wifey has taken a liking to you.” The red head grinned at her.

“Huh?” Soomin cocked her head.

He pointed a finger at the cat who had gone back to purring. The cat stretched forward rubbing her head against Yukwon hand. He laughed at the cat’s display.

“Ah…she’s your wife.”

“She always follows him around so he decided to take responsibility.”

Soomin jumped at the new voice. Ddong stood next to the table. The cat meowed at Ddong then jumped out of Soomin’s lap to greet the newcomer.

“Yah, don’t cheat in front of me.” Yukwon grumbled as the cat rubbed against Ddong’s legs. “I can do that too, you know.”

Yukwon started rubbing his cheek against Soomin’s.

“Jealous much?” Soomin chuckled.

“Yea, but you made it better.” He smiled turning to look her in the eyes.

Soomin smiled back meeting his gaze.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Ddong moved putting a hand between them. “What do you think your doing looking that intensely into my wife’s eyes?”

Soomin felt her eyes narrow, her lashes obstructing her view of Yukwon. She slowly turned her head towards Ddong keeping her eyes on Yukwon for as long as she could manage.

“Your what?”

“And you just cheated on her…” Yukwon added with a laugh.

Ddong stepped back raising his hands. Soomin stood up following Ddong.

“I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this…excuse us.”

Yukwon laughed, “Yea, see you around, Soomin, Ddong, if you live.”

Soomin continued to advance on Ddong.

“Come on, sweetie.”

“Sweetie…” A deep voice stopped Soomin. She smiled as she recognized P.O’s voice.

“Hey,” she replied without even confirming.

“Did something happen between you two?”

“Don’t worry, once I kill him I’ll be a widow.”

“I think that’s enough rough play for one day, Noona.” Ddong sprinted away before Soomin could reply.

 

 

P.O walked her down a couple blocks to a small convenience store on the corner. They walked over to the freezers to get ice cream. P.O picked out a chocolate flavored ice cream. Soomin took a long time deciding. Something that will taste good after a kiss. Wait, I’m just assuming. She glanced at P.O who smiled cutely in response. Damn right, I’m gonna get a kiss. Soomin picked a strawberry flavored ice cream. She set her ice cream on the counter glancing up at the cashier. He had blonde spikes coming out one side of his head. Soomin started to reach for her purse but P.O already handed money to the cashier.

P.O suggested they go to a park nearby. The ice cream  started disappearing as they walked around looking for a place to sit. When they finally found a bench and sat down, both had finished their ice cream.

“Thank you for buying.”

“You’re welcome.” P.O pressed him lips together then turned slightly towards Soomin, “Uh…c-can I kiss you…?”

Soomin stared straight ahead. Did I here right?

“Sorry, I kind of just blurted that out…I should have waited for the right moment. It’s just I was thinking about and then it popped out…”

She looked to see a pink P.O fidgeting nervously. Soomin shifted so she faced P.O.

“Yes…” Soomin’s voice almost a whisper. What if he didn’t hear me…

P.O leaned over softly placing his lips on hers. No, I think he heard me.  She felt him start to pull away. What, so soon… Soomin reached out her hand sliding it along his cheek. He leaned back towards her gaining more confidence. He tastes like chocolate.

“I should have gotten the chocolate…” Soomin blushed.

P.O stared at her for a second then laughed when he understood.

“Isn’t this considered adultery?”

Soomin blinked her brow furrowing.

P.O laughed deeply then tried to explain, “Ddong…”

“Oooh, that kid…” Soomin frowned, “For bringing him up, you own me a kiss.”

Surprise crossed P.O’s face, but was quickly chased away by a smirk.

“You’re right…I’m sorry.”

He finished just as his lips touched Soomin’s mouth.

 

 

Soomin laid on her bed with her lips puckered up thinking about her kiss with P.O.

“Ah, I want ice cream…no, P.O…no, both…at the same time…if that is even possible.” She rolled over and hugged her pillow smiling to herself.

She sat up suddenly, “Damn it. I forgot to buy bathroom supplies.”