Regretting the Rejections

After A Long Time

 

The ringing of the alarm clock woke the sleeping beauty into a total disaster. She hurried and looked at the time and she was sure late.

 

She got on her fancy frock lined with awesomeness. She wore the dress into total elegance and started to mail Sungmin.

 

Sungmin was called out to the last minute and he sure got worried if Sunny would be waiting and not him.

 

The two were in peril. They were obviously anticipating this day. But, two of them have their own point of views.

 

Sungmin wanted to give Sunny a good time since it would be days after he would be finishing his teacher training in that school.

 

Sunny expected this day to come for her to confess her  inane yet heartfelt feelings. She changed because of love.

 

But, maybe…just maybe, it would be gone in a second.

 

 

 

Sunny was the first one to go. She was really excited. It was a fine day yet a cold one. She forgot her mittens and was quite shivering. She was really excited as she blows her hands hardly for comfort. She noticed many people walking in and out of the stores.

 

“Aigoo~ Oh… it’s Valentines’ Day. I hardly forgot to make homemade chocolates.” She was embarassed but good thing she brought her secret weapon, a nicely made chocolate cookies.

 

She blew on her hands more, rubbing them against each other. She looked at the time yet, “Why is he not showing up?”

 

What happened to Sungmin was a mystery to Sunny. She got worried if he got in an accident but she still waited.

 

 

Sungmin’s Side of the Story

 

                “Ahhh… I’m late. Oh… an email.” Sungmin held his vibrating cellphone. His eyes dilated as he saw his first love’s number. “What in the world?”.

 

                He read it. It was his close friend. His first love was looking for him. “Why me, why not her husband?” Sungmin didn’t bare it into his mind. But, as he was approaching Sunny, just a meter and he’d be there, he turned his back and hailed a taxi to go to the hospital.

 

                But, to his consternation, of course it was not his first love who was admitted but it was her husband.  His first love sunk into the chair, unable to speak even a word.

 

                She noticed Sungmin, gleefully smiling on him. Sungmin was touched but he knows how forced it was.

 

                “Is everything all right?”

 

                “I’m sorry, I used your friend’s phone to get you here.”

 

                “What’s the problem?”

 

                “He collapsed again due to stress. I cannot help it but to just call you, since you really make me feel safe.”

 

                “Please be fine. I want you to smile again. But,…” Sungmin finally remembered Sunny. He looked at his watch and just inferred that she already left.

 

                “Can you… stay just for a short time? After, the doctor…”

 

                “It’s alright.” Sungmin knew how hard it was between the two of them. Since, he knew her unrequited love.

 

 

Everything about them seemed to be blurry right now. Maybe, he managed to forget fragments of his feelings for her which made him glad because he could now let her go.

 

The doctor came out. The surgery was successful and the patient should just take a time off work.

 

His first love was very happy that she hurriedly went inside of her husband’s room.

 

She held his hands tightly, singing their theme song as she watched him sleeping. It was a very sweet moment but Sungmin could only just be jealous.

 

                “Thank you.” The woman uttered, still facing his husband. “Thank you, Sungmin for today.” She smiled again, unable to hide her happiness.

 

 

Tears came flowing through Sungmin’s face. It was his decision to be a teacher for her. But, she didn’t like him.

 

He was disowned by his family who owned a shopping mall in the country side. He was banished by his father who was very disappointed about him.

 

Yet, this moment, was the end to it.

 

 

Sungmin exited the hospital. He went straight back to Sunny. It was already night time. 7:00 P.M in the evening. Yet, someone was still there, shivering and trembling, cold and lonely.

 

                “Sungmin-oppa!” The voice called out the lonely him.

 

                “Sunny?”

 

                “Are you okay? I thought you’re not coming. Thank , God.”

 

 

Sungmin felt a squealing pain out of all his organs. There was regret and pity. But, he was really tired and in a bad mood.

 

                “Why?”

 

                “Mnmmm.. Here.”

 

                “What’s this? Chocolate cookies. Thanks.” Sungmin received the gift.

 

He sat down and ate two of them. He offered some to Sunny who rejected it who was just watching him enjoying the food.

 

                “Why did you give me this?”

 

                “It’s Valentines’ Day.”

 

                “This is my first time to be given by this by a best friend.”

 

                “It’s… Ahhmmm…”

 

                “What do you want to say?”

 

                “Ahhh.. I love you.”

 

Sungmin’s eyes were in panicked. Looking at this girl, he could feel the him years ago who confessed to the one woman he loved.

 

He couldn’t give her a proper response more on now. But, she nagging him made her blurt out those hateful words.

 

                “Sorry, but I don’t like you.”

 

Those were his most regretful memories. Sunny cried all night just by remembering those praise.

 

Sungmin’s POV

 

                Within that brink of time, in just a second, she was gone. Walking through that undiscernable path, she went without looking back at me. The devil who ruined her first love, rejecting all her feelings without even considering about it.

 

                The nervousness I felt at that time was not because I couldn’t reciprocate it but it was just an urge of the moment. I was dumbfounded and she was betrayed, those were the memories I kept on repeating in my heart, tormenting me after all these years.

 

                Yet, she just came again. Her smile quite changed when looking at me. Those eyes that were the hope of the future turned blank and gloomy. Her charismatic way of walking improved, likely catching everyone’s attention.

 

 

                I don’t know what would happen now. Maybe, she would go for vengeance.