Part 9: (Daehyun) The Missing Piece of Memory

B.A.P. Moments( Best. Absolute. Perfect Moments)

     My name is Jo Hana. I am 24 years old. I have a boyfriend. His name is Kim Himchan. We just got engaged. Himchan helped me recover from from the accident. When I got here at Germany, I got hit by a car. The accident caused me to lose my memory, and Himchan was there to pay all the hospital bills. He also took care of me and promised to help me until my memory comes back. We're going back to Korea today, to see my family...and hopefully, gain my memory back.

 

*Flight 1907 to Korea! Last call to all passengers of Flight 1907 to Korea please!*

 

.....

 

Finally, we're here at Korea! We have to attend a party tonight. Himchan's family and friends will be there. After the event, we'll go to my parents' house. Finally, I'll get to see my mom and dad, and my dearest sister, Jia.

 

*Daehyun POV*

 

     It's been 6 years since I last saw her. We were supposed to be married by now. She vanished not long after our engagement. She went to Germany. What's the reason? I don't know. But since then, we didn't receive any news about her... but even if 6 years have already passed, even if 10, 15 or 20 years pass, I'll still love her. I'll wait for her. I'll marry her.

 

"Daehyun-ah. We have a party to attend tonight. My friend and his fianceé are back from Germany. I want you to meet them." Brian, my friend, told me.

 

"Tonight?" I asked.

 

"Yes, tonight." He confirmed.

 

"But... Mr. and Mrs. Jo told us to be at their house later."

 

"I know, we'll still be able to go there... after the party." He reassured me.

"Daehyun-ah, you'll be at the party, right?" He asked again.

 

"Yes, I'll be there."

 

"See you then."

 

.....

(at the party)

 

*3rd Person POV*

 

Hana and Himchan came early. They are chatting with the other guests. Himchan introduced Hana to his family and friends. He even told them about their engagement.

 

Meanwhile, Brian and Daehyun just came. They are on the other side of the hall. Brian was searching for someone.

 

"I'm looking for Himchan. He must be here already... Daehyun-ah, stay here, I'm going to look for him." Brian told Daehyun.

 

"Do as you please." daehyun said.

 

Brian searched for Himchan. He met a lot of friends and previous officemates. Brian worked at the same hospital where Himchan worked before the latter went to Germany to continue his studies. The two are really good friends.

 

Finally, Brian saw him. He walked fast toward Himchan... and saw that his hands are intertwined with someone. She's supposed to be his fianceé. He came nearer... then suddenly stopped in his tracks.

 

~Hana-ah? Is she Hana-ah? After 6 years, this is the 1st time I saw her... But... Why is she with Himchan? Why are her hands intertwined with his? Why is she wearing a different engagement ring? What happened? Is she really Hana, our bestfriend?~ Different thoughts are running through his mind. He has a lot of questions, and all he wants are answers.

 

"Hana-ah? Hana-ah! It's you! You don't know how much we missed you! I'm sure Daehyun will be happy to see you!" Brian approached Hana.

 

"Excuse me? You know me? Must I know you before?" Hana asked confused.

 

"Uhmmm... I'm sorry, Brian-ah. Hana can't recall a lot of things from her past. She met an accident in Germany 3 years ago. She's suffering from amnesia, that's why I'm sorry if she can't remember you." Himchan explained.

 

"It's fine, Himchan-ah. I'm just too happy to see you again, and I just can't believe I'm seeing Hana too, again... after a long time..." Brian said.

 

"Excuse me, you two know each other?" Hana asked.

 

"Yes, Hana-ah. I worked with him before I went to Germany, before I met you." Himchan said.

 

"That's true, Hana-ah, and it's really a coincidence. A good friend of mine and my long lost bestfriend, now a couple. I'm happy for you." Brian tried to sound as if he's really happy for them.

 

"You mentioned a name a while ago, Daehyun? Yes, Daehyun! What do I have to do with him? Do we have any connection?" Hana asked Brian.

 

~For 6 years, he waited, waited for only you, Hana-ah. He never forgot you, he never will. Now you're back... but his life will be ruined. Hana-ah, how can you ever forget Daehyun? How can you ever forget the man you loved?~ Brian wanted to tell Hana but kept the thoughts to himself.

 

"Uhmm... Daehyun-ah! Yes! Yes! He's your... bestfriend too! The 3 of us have been the best of friends since we're young. That's why I'm sure he'll be happy to see you again, after a long time." Brian said, trying to hold back his tears.

 

"I'm so sorry I don't remember you. Even Daehyun. I can't even recognize you. I'm so sorry, Brian-ah. I'm so sorry. But I'm sure we are indeed good friends. You seem to be a very good person." Hana said apologetically.

 

"No. No. You don't have to be sorry. Nobody wanted trhat accident to happen to you. I'm sure you'll remember us soon." Brian gave her a forced smile. "Oh! I almost forgot! Daehyun-ah! I must go to him! Ecuse me, Hana-ah, Himchan, for a while." Brian said then walked away.

 

Daehyun is still on the spot where he was when Brian left.

 

"Daehyun-ah... I saw... Himchan-ah and his... fianceé over there. Come on, I want you to meet them." Brian hesitated, but remained careful of his words.

 

"Brian-ah, is there a problem?" Daehyun asked. "You can't even look at me while you speak."

 

"What? Nothing. There's no problem. Let's just go." Brian said.

 

The two walked towards Himchan and Hana. Suddenly, Brian stopped.

 

"Why?" Daehyun asked.

 

Daehyun looked to where his friend is looking at... and he, too, stood there tongue-tied.

 

~Hana-ah? Is that you? You're still as beautiful as you were the last time I saw your face.~

 

"Hana-ah?" Daehyun tried to call out.

 

"Daehyun-ah, wait! She can't remember you anymore. She had amnesia." Brian tried to stop his friend.

 

~What is he talking about? What does he mean Hana doesn't remember me? I am her boyfriend. We are engaged.~

 

Daehyun walked closer to her.

 

"Hana... Hana-ah...??? He said while holding back tears.

 

Brian was at his back.

 

"Hana-ah! This is Daehyun, our bestfriend. He really can't believe you're back. He really missed you a lot." Brian tried to explain in behalf of his friend.

 

"Daehyun-ah, we must be good friends, right?" Hana told Daehyun. She smiled at him. He almost melted.

"By the way, Daehyun-ah, I want you to meet Himchan, my fianceé."

 

"Nice to meet you, Daehyun." Himchan extended his hand, which Daehyun took.

 

"You two are going to get married?" Daehyun asked.

 

"Yes, soon! Hana and I are already engaged!" Himchan told Daehyun.

 

"Cong... Cong... Cong... Congratulations... then." Daehyun said then walked away.

 

"Daehyun-ah!" Hana called out.

 

"He's fine, Hana-ah. Don't worry. I'll follow him." Brian reassured her... then followed his friend.

 

     Hana's eyes followed Daehyun. She felt the ring in her pocket. It was the ring she was wearing before she and Himchan got engaged.

 

~Daehyun. Daehyun. I don't remember him, but I feel like I know him. I just don't remember. Does he know about this ring? Could he help me?~

 

"Hana-ah? You all right?" Himchan asked worriedly.

 

"Sure. Sure. I'm fine, Himchan-ah... Uhhmmm... Don't you think we have to go now?" Hana asked.

 

"Oh yes! Your parents must already be waiting for you." Himchan said.

 

"Let's go!" Hana took his hand.

 

.....

 

"Daehyun-ah. Come on now. We have to get to Hana's house before they get there. We must tell Mrs. and Mrs. Jo about Hana's condition before Himchan tells them... so that they don't need to worry about you nor Hana anymore. Come on!" Brian told Daehyun.

 

Daehyun is not in himself tonight. He saw Hana again, right! But he can't hug her, nor tell her how much he missed her. He can't even say 'I love you' to the girl he loves.

 

"Yes. We must go now." Daehyun replied.

 

Daehyun and Brian were able to make it to Jo Residence before Hana and Himchan.  They told Hana's parents about her condition. Mr. and Mrs. Jo understood the situation, but felt sympathy for Daehyun. Brian also told them about Himchan and Hana, and that made Daehyun cry. Jia was there too, and she couldn't stop crying. After some time, Hana and Himchan arrived.

 

"Mom! Dad! Jia!" Hana exclaimed, then hugged her family members.

 

"Hana-unnie, I missed you so much!" Jia said while crying.

 

"Let's sit down and talk." Mr. Jo invited.

 

Hana and her family talked. Hana introduced Himchan to her parents. Himchan informed them that they want the wedding to happen as soon as possible, and upon hearing this, Daehyun stood up and walked out.

 

"Oppa!" Jia called out.

 

"Jia! It's fine. He just need to space out. He'll be fine soon." Brian told Jia.

 

"It's getting late, Hana-ah. Go to sleep now. You need rest. Jia, accompany your sister to her room." Mr. Jo ordered.

 

"Yes, appa." Jia said then went upstairs with Hana.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Jo stayed in the living room and talked with Himchan. Brian sais that he has to go home, and left. After some time, Mr. and Mrs. Jo decided to go to bed. They left Himchan. Himchan stayed for a little more time.

Meanwhile, Daehyun is still in the garden, spacing out. He's on his favorite spot in the garden, with the blue roses. It used to be Hana's favorite place too. But now...  he didn't know anymore.

 

~"Daehyun-ah... There are no natural blue roses, right? But here in our garden, there are. They may not be natural, but they are alive. And they are very beautiful, that's why I like them. They remind me of one truth in this world..." Hana said while looking at the roses.

 

"Wae?" I asked.

 

"That..." She looked at me... "Nothing is impossible." She smiled.~

 

"Hana-ah, if nothing is impossible, then why does it seem impossible to have you back? Why, hana? Why? What have I done to deserve this?... losing you? What, Hana-ah?" Daehyun said while looking at the roses intently.

 

.....

 

"Hana-unnie?" Jia asked.

 

"What is it, Jia?"

 

"Are you sure you want to marry Himchan-sshi?"

 

"Why did you ask?"

 

"Nothing. I just want to know."

 

"He has done a lot for me. He has sacrificed a lot, just to help me. He was the one who helped me when I was in need. He loved me."

 

"Do you love him?"

 

"Jia, what kind of question is that?"

 

"Do you love him?"

 

"I... I... I... I care for him! And I want to thank him for everything he did for me. Jia, he's a good person. I know he can take care of me."

 

"But that's not a good reason for you to marry him."

 

Hana looked down. Then she saw a small box beside the lampshade.

 

"What's this?" She asked.

 

"Open it." Jia said.

 

Hana opened the box, and inside it she found letters. Letters addressed to her. Letters... from... Daehyun. Letters greeting her 'Happy Birthday', every year without fail, letters greeting 'Happy anniversary', letters sent while he was in America, studying; even short letters accompanying bouquets of flowers and some simply saying 'I love you'. All letters are for her, and from Daehyun.

 

She looked at Jia.

 

"That... is the reason why I asked you if you're sure if you wanted to marry Himchan-sshi." Jia said.

 

Hana couldn't speak. She took the ring out of her pocket. She looked at it.

 

"That is... your engagement ring! Yes! I knew it! You kept it, but can't remember why you have it, but I'm sure, that's the engagement ring Daehyun-oppa gave you when you two got engaged!" Zia exclaimed.

 

"Me? And Daehyun? Engaged? But... But...??" She collapsed, and dropped the ring on the floor.

 

"Unnie! Uniie! Uniie!" Jia went beside her sister.

 

Hana woke up. She got up.

"Jia... Daehyun... I love him right?"

 

Jia nodded.

 

"I love Daehyun, and he loves me so much, right?"

 

Jia smiled.

 

Hana stood up, took the ring and ran outside her room.

 

"Unnie! Unnie! Where are you going? Unnie!" Jia called out.

 

Hana rushed downstairs. She saw Himchan in the living room.

 

"Hana-ah!" Himchan called her.

 

Hana went closer to him.

"Himchan-ah. You... took good care of me. When I was weak, you helped me. You were there for me always. You love me so much."

 

"Hana-ah, you know I'll do anything just for you..."

 

She cut him off.

 

"But what my mind can't remember, my heart will never forget. And my heart knows I love Daehyun, and even if I don't remember him, my heart knows I love him." Hana said.

 

"I understand." That was all Himchan could say.

 

Hana took their engagement ring out of her finger, then took Himchan's hand. He gave him back the ring.

 

"One day, you'll meet the perfect girl for you. You'll find the best girl who'll love you. When that day comes, this ring will be able to serve its purpose." Hana told Himchan.

 

Himchan looked at the ring... then at Hana.

 

"Thank you for everything, Himchan-ah! I'll never forget  you! And your kindness to me!" Hana said crying.

 

Himchan hugged her.

"Hana-ah, thank you for teaching me how to love. Thank you for showing me the beauty of life and of being in love." Himchan said.

 

Hana broke the hug then ran outside.

 

"Hana-ah! Where are you going?" Himchan asked her.

 

Hana faced him.

"I'm going to make things right!" She said then smiled, and went running to the garden.

 

.....

 

"Nothing is impossible."

 

Daehyun looked up, and saw Hana looking at the blue roses.

 

"Hana..."

 

"Just like the blue roses. They aren't natural, but they are alive... right, Daehyun-ah?" Hana smiled at Daehyun.

 

Daehyun looked at her with a shocked expression.

 

"Why are you here?" He asked her.

 

"Why? Because this is my favorite place in the garden... Yah! Daehyun-ah! Just because I have amnesia, does it already mean you can own our favorite spot in the garden? Hana asked.

 

Daehyun was shocked. He can't move He didn't know what to say.

 

"Did you have your memory back?" He asked.

 

"No. But I know it, because my heart never forgot it."

 

"Hana-ah..."

 

Hana took more steps toward Daehyun.

 

"Just like you. I may not remember you, but my heart knows I love you. And I do! I do love you!" She said while touching his face. 

Daehyun took her hand.

 

"Oh!" Hana gasped.

She reached into her pocket, took the ring, then wore it on her finger.

 

"That! Better!" She said.

 

Daehyun smiled, then pulled her into a deep kiss. All the things he wanted to say. All the anger, happiness, sadness, and desperation he felt upon losing her, and winning her back. All of it, he poured into that one kiss.

 

Hana felt very happy. Since she met the accident, she has never felt this happy, she has never felt this right. Only now, when she was back in Daehyun's arms.

 

"Daehyun-ah. Thank you for waiting for me. Thank you for not giving up. Thank you for loving me. Thank you." Hana told Daehyun.

 

Daehyun kissed her again... and hugged her. For 6 years, he has never felt this happy.

 

"It's all right with me even if my memory won't come back. We can make new and more memories anyway, right, Daehyun-ah?"

 

"Right."

 

-the END